Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hi there!

    So I was playing with the VRSlider component and I realized how much more convenient (and efficient) it is to use a dedicated component like this, compared to using a PhysicsConstraint that you have to use when making a door.

    Is there any chance that the VRSlider component can be expanded in the future to include Rotation? You would have one VRTurnSlide (can't think of a better name right now..) to use for items that have a restricted movement, sliding and/or rotating. The rotation would (obviously) be around the origin of the item, so no need to connect the constraint to other components.

    In fact, you would expand to 6DoF compared to the current 3DoF.

    What do you think? I couldn't find it on the current Trello roadmap, so probably it's not part of your priorities right now (which I can understand...). Just wanted to throw it in

    Comment


      Originally posted by mordentral View Post

      I have a (currently private) module that implements it for them (and gesture detection), the issue is that in prior to 4.21 builds it requires a bit of hacking around to get the skeletal actions working, and in 4.21 itself there is no clean plugin method of forcing the new action into the manifest without direct source edits or manually writing out to it and reloading.
      Thanks for your answer! Good to know at what state we are at this point.
      Does this mean, that we can have finger tracking working but not accessible values for each finger etc? It's enough for me at this point. I'll take a look into OpenInput then, thanks!

      Looking forward for next VR Expansion Plugin release, I'll hold on with trying it before knuckles support, but it's looking good!

      Comment


        Originally posted by Werbel View Post

        Thanks for your answer! Good to know at what state we are at this point.
        Does this mean, that we can have finger tracking working but not accessible values for each finger etc? It's enough for me at this point. I'll take a look into OpenInput then, thanks!

        Looking forward for next VR Expansion Plugin release, I'll hold on with trying it before knuckles support, but it's looking good!
        Not entirely sure a clean method in plugin will be possible in 4.21 at all, they stated that they were adding to it post 4.21 and their repository version is on 4.22 already. I would have to find a spot to edit the action manifest that they are generating without screwing over the input stack, the file is generated on every program launch......

        I haven't tested yet if re-setting the action manifest clears handles, it likely does which would put a large damper in doing it through plugin for now. Directly in engine source it would be very easy though.

        As for finger values, previous knuckles used the finger curl values that are already in the legacy inputs, I have heard a few people saying that those no longer function, I wouldn't know since I have been developing directly with the skeletal data instead and have never needed them. There are also seperate per finger curl values that you can bind to in openInput and a grip value.
        Last edited by mordentral; 10-26-2018, 08:50 AM.


        Consider supporting me on patreon

        My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

        Comment


          Originally posted by Warner V View Post
          Hi there!

          So I was playing with the VRSlider component and I realized how much more convenient (and efficient) it is to use a dedicated component like this, compared to using a PhysicsConstraint that you have to use when making a door.

          Is there any chance that the VRSlider component can be expanded in the future to include Rotation? You would have one VRTurnSlide (can't think of a better name right now..) to use for items that have a restricted movement, sliding and/or rotating. The rotation would (obviously) be around the origin of the item, so no need to connect the constraint to other components.

          In fact, you would expand to 6DoF compared to the current 3DoF.

          What do you think? I couldn't find it on the current Trello roadmap, so probably it's not part of your priorities right now (which I can understand...). Just wanted to throw it in
          The open trello featurerequest? That isn't my actual full Trello, my full Trello is rather large....

          As for the slider, I have an example blueprint (in the template, its the one from my video tutorial but I added to it later) that shows how to make a sliding / rotating / both component using my custom grip function library (basically what you asked for). I am trying not to complicate the slider itself too much more at this point since it already has a page of features and that particular one would conflict with some of them (like spline rotation following).

          Also, most people have been using a VRLeverComponent for doors as it is a dedicated rotational interactible.

          As for efficient, actually the constraint is likely more efficient computation wise, its just less directly controllable and scriptable.
          Last edited by mordentral; 10-26-2018, 08:51 AM.


          Consider supporting me on patreon

          My Open source tools and plugins
          Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

          Comment


            Originally posted by mordentral View Post

            I am not personally concerned with hand animations as there are plenty of hand sets out there and its really game specific. The plugin is intended to fill the gap with advanced mechanics and things that are more game agnostic.

            As for walking over tables, I have answered this many times, you can set it up yourself, turn on the WalkingCollisionOverride mode (no collision when walking roomscale, collision when locomotion is active), or turn off collision on the table to the pawn period, I am not really interested in "faking leaning" in the general sense at this time.
            Thanks for reply. Of course all is up type of project, everyone has different ideas or point of view, and is not the same for FPS than for adventure, just commented if did it for some purpose or is already some option/param can be turned in settings, for example like "WalkingCollisionOverride", thanks for comment it and sorry if you repeated many times, I've read many posts, but my english is not fluid and don't understand so fast/easy like desired, need google translator many times .

            Just another question, I have looking the manipulation grip part, the example of the cabinet. Is possible to limit (do it slower) the turn of the object (I think is swing for unreal) if pull so hard/fast at grip time?
            Last edited by mandango; 10-28-2018, 05:57 PM.

            Comment


              Originally posted by mandango View Post

              Thanks for reply. Of course all is up type of project, everyone has different ideas or point of view, and is not the same for FPS than for adventure, just commented if did it for some purpose or is already some option/param can be turned in settings, for example like "WalkingCollisionOverride", thanks for comment it and sorry if you repeated many times, I've read many posts, but my english is not fluid and don't understand so fast/easy like desired, need google translator many times .

              Just another question, I have looking the manipulation grip part, the example of the cabinet. Is possible to limit (do it slower) the turn of the object (I think is swing for unreal) if pull so hard/fast at grip time?
              You can change the constraint strength / friction on the cabinet door hinges to make it harder to pull compared to the manipulation grip strength.


              Consider supporting me on patreon

              My Open source tools and plugins
              Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

              Comment


                Regarding this about the knuckles:

                Originally posted by mordentral View Post
                ...I may put it out with the hackish instructions just for people to play with at some point though...
                Yes please!
                This would be amazing if you don't mind.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by MagicBots View Post
                  Regarding this about the knuckles:



                  Yes please!
                  This would be amazing if you don't mind.
                  I'm finishing up the replication part of it this weekend, i'll likely give the rough copy to people that directly request it some time during the week.

                  The support discord has a few already waiting so I decided to go ahead and clean it up.


                  Consider supporting me on patreon

                  My Open source tools and plugins
                  Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

                  Comment


                    I have been looking at the grapple gun and wondered how hard it would be to remove the gun and just add the grapple function to the L or R hand using the side grips on the vive motion controllers, so can cycle between teleport, climb mode, swing arm and grapple function.. If anyone can help to point me in the direction on how I can do this I would be appreciative as I am a little new to UE4, but know how to fins my way around it.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                      You can change the constraint strength / friction on the cabinet door hinges to make it harder to pull compared to the manipulation grip strength.
                      OK, I think you mean the Strenght param in Angular Motor inside the PhysicsConstraint
                      Last edited by mandango; 10-29-2018, 07:35 PM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by MagicBots View Post
                        Regarding this about the knuckles:

                        Yes please!
                        This would be amazing if you don't mind.
                        Sent you a PM with the beta module, don't want to full release it until Epic fixes their 4.21 input integration so that it can merge seamlessly.

                        If you need help with the gesture detection let me know, I didn't have time to write up a tutorial for it.

                        Also ended up recording a quick video talking about it:

                        Last edited by mordentral; 10-29-2018, 10:43 PM.


                        Consider supporting me on patreon

                        My Open source tools and plugins
                        Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Werbel View Post
                          Thanks for your answer! Good to know at what state we are at this point.
                          You too, sent you a copy of the module, though it is bound to my main plugin as I tied the controller profiles to it.


                          Consider supporting me on patreon

                          My Open source tools and plugins
                          Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

                          Comment


                            I had to update that module btw, was missing something needed for compilation.


                            Consider supporting me on patreon

                            My Open source tools and plugins
                            Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

                            Comment


                              mordentral

                              Hi, Thanks for Plugin!

                              I'm trying to use a few function from this (cause with 4.20 OpenVRExpansionPlugin give stuck on the first run):
                              SetSkyboxOverride_LatLong() and ClearSkyboxOverride()

                              But I have a couple errors (mostly linker I guess) with this. Please help implement simple version of this functionality without logs and platform checking.

                              http://joxi.ru/V2Vn8ZYsd03EL2
                              http://joxi.ru/Drla14phV4PbRm


                              Igor, swamper, sole proprietorship

                              Comment


                                Trying to figure out some stuff and repurpose the Vive Pawn Character...is there a way to disable the wrist controller orientation, and just have the teleportation whitout changing the player orientation?
                                I have an old 4.19 build, and looks like the wrist orientation is not working as expected, so I would like to completely disable it
                                ENTER REALITY

                                VR Solutions

                                Contact us for more informations

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X