Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
    Hey mordentral - Got a question for you. Do you plan on supporting the Oculus Santa Cruz when it comes out?
    Not sure what you mean by support, the engine already abstracts away most interfacing, the plugin doesn't do anything special except for the additional module for OpenVR extras.

    However, if you mean make a default controller profile for it, yes I intend to do that for all controllers.

    Originally posted by rojo8399 View Post
    Has anyone made a way to attach the hand to the object you pickup? So when the object collides with a wall, your hand doesn't go through that wall.

    Edit: Just trying the same thing lots of other people are trying.
    Trying to attach the weapon to an ik body mesh.
    Plenty of people attach the hand, you can even directly get the correct offset by breaking the grip structure and inversing the RelativeGripTransform. RelativeGripTransform is the wanted offset of the object to the controller, inversing it makes it the offset of the controller to the object.

    In the case of a socket snap grip, this will end up being the socket location even.

    Though you could always have sockets for HandMeshs on the objects as well to tailor it specifically.


    Consider supporting me on patreon

    My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

    Comment


      Hi @mordental, I have a grippable mesh and on that I populated several vrsliders as children.
      I saw your example for the parameters of quality setting but there is only one vrslider and I need to have an update of the scale value to be sent to different other variable.
      How can I get those values when I have several vrsliders ?
      Thanks

      Comment


        Originally posted by J_Tox View Post
        Hi @mordental, I have a grippable mesh and on that I populated several vrsliders as children.
        I saw your example for the parameters of quality setting but there is only one vrslider and I need to have an update of the scale value to be sent to different other variable.
        How can I get those values when I have several vrsliders ?
        Thanks
        On your primary actor (the grippable mesh), bind to the OnSliderHitPoint event for each slider and assign a SnapIncrement and SnapThreshold so that the slider snaps between values. When the event is thrown then you can just set whatever value you want to the sliders CurrentProgress.

        If you want a non "snap" setup then either OnChildGripReleased and check each slider and assign to its CurrentSliderProgress, or better yet, subclass a VRSlider and give it a new event OnReleasedFinalValue, fire it off when the slider is let go of and in the primary actor bind to it.

        The custom event method is the best for a really generic settings slider, you can even add a var like "number of pips" and if it is > 0 then have it auto setup its thresholds and snap increments and have it fire up to the actor when it hits points as well, not just on release.


        Its really up to you, the one in the template is hardcoded to a specific console variable, a generic one for your own use is likely where you want to go.


        Consider supporting me on patreon

        My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

        Comment


          Originally posted by mordentral View Post

          On your primary actor (the grippable mesh), bind to the OnSliderHitPoint event for each slider and assign a SnapIncrement and SnapThreshold so that the slider snaps between values. When the event is thrown then you can just set whatever value you want to the sliders CurrentProgress.

          If you want a non "snap" setup then either OnChildGripReleased and check each slider and assign to its CurrentSliderProgress, or better yet, subclass a VRSlider and give it a new event OnReleasedFinalValue, fire it off when the slider is let go of and in the primary actor bind to it.

          The custom event method is the best for a really generic settings slider, you can even add a var like "number of pips" and if it is > 0 then have it auto setup its thresholds and snap increments and have it fire up to the actor when it hits points as well, not just on release.


          Its really up to you, the one in the template is hardcoded to a specific console variable, a generic one for your own use is likely where you want to go.
          Thank you @mordental..I will go through.

          Comment


            Originally posted by mordentral View Post
            Plenty of people attach the hand, you can even directly get the correct offset by breaking the grip structure and inversing the RelativeGripTransform. RelativeGripTransform is the wanted offset of the object to the controller, inversing it makes it the offset of the controller to the object.

            In the case of a socket snap grip, this will end up being the socket location even.

            Though you could always have sockets for HandMeshs on the objects as well to tailor it specifically.
            Alright. Thank you for always providing a **** ton of great support btw. Everyday I see you typing out paragraphs for people.

            With the attach, I guess I just can't wrap my head around it since I haven't successfully done it before yet. I'll keep trying. Thanks!

            Comment


              Originally posted by rojo8399 View Post

              Alright. Thank you for always providing a **** ton of great support btw. Everyday I see you typing out paragraphs for people.

              With the attach, I guess I just can't wrap my head around it since I haven't successfully done it before yet. I'll keep trying. Thanks!
              I was doing it with the socket on objects like he was mentioning and it was very easy and smooth. And you could import posed positions in from your animation software and set it on specific objects.
              Just on grip, spawn and attach hand and set pose. remove on release grip. You probably also want to use socket only gripping to make it easier.

              You just need to make sure you hide and unhide the normal hands on grip so you dont have 2 hands. I stopped though because i was planning to make to many assets and it was a hassle.

              Note could also probably come up with a easier way to pose with code
              Last edited by sphinix257; 08-27-2018, 06:53 PM.

              Comment


                I was using a sphere trace to allow players to pickup objects from far away before I switch to the plugin. Is there any way to still use a sphere trace? Or do we have to use collision components.
                If so, I'll have to figure out how to stretch and rotate a capsule component to match the long sphere trace.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by rojo8399 View Post
                  I was using a sphere trace to allow players to pickup objects from far away before I switch to the plugin. Is there any way to still use a sphere trace? Or do we have to use collision components.
                  If so, I'll have to figure out how to stretch and rotate a capsule component to match the long sphere trace.
                  The plugin doesn't care what you use, you tell it what to grip, you are confusing the plugin with the sample contents implementation.

                  The templates implementation is a combination of a sphere trace and an overlap, it falls out of one and into the other if nothing was found, there actually is a specific variable for how far to trace out of the sphere location, I extend it in the FPS testing pawn since it is harder to line up the hands with.


                  Consider supporting me on patreon

                  My Open source tools and plugins
                  Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                    The plugin doesn't care what you use, you tell it what to grip, you are confusing the plugin with the sample contents implementation.

                    The templates implementation is a combination of a sphere trace and an overlap, it falls out of one and into the other if nothing was found, there actually is a specific variable for how far to trace out of the sphere location, I extend it in the FPS testing pawn since it is harder to line up the hands with.
                    Oh wow I didn't even see that. There's just so much stuff in the plugin and examples it's overwhelming to me. Thank you!

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by rojo8399 View Post

                      Oh wow I didn't even see that. There's just so much stuff in the plugin and examples it's overwhelming to me. Thank you!
                      The template is overly complex since it is demoing everything and supports multiplayer, I intend to make a really simple version with bare basics eventually but I keep prioritizing new features over it.


                      Consider supporting me on patreon

                      My Open source tools and plugins
                      Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                        The template is overly complex since it is demoing everything and supports multiplayer, I intend to make a really simple version with bare basics eventually but I keep prioritizing new features over it.
                        Prioritizing new features sounds way better! I'm sure I'll figure everything out.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by rojo8399 View Post

                          Prioritizing new features sounds way better! I'm sure I'll figure everything out.
                          Might not hurt to chop up the player template in to multiple pawns. Each with only nessiary code left in. You wouldn't have to write to much code then just copy it and delete unnecessary stuff per certain features
                          Last edited by sphinix257; 08-28-2018, 11:08 AM.

                          Comment


                            So i used the gripable mesh actor class as the parent of a large portion of my current code. Does it not have the grip settings that the gripable component has

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by sphinix257 View Post
                              So i used the gripable mesh actor class as the parent of a large portion of my current code. Does it not have the grip settings that the gripable component has
                              It does, its on the actor not the root component.


                              Consider supporting me on patreon

                              My Open source tools and plugins
                              Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                                It does, its on the actor not the root component.
                                Ok. Ill give it another look when I get home

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X