VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Warner V View Post

It seems to me that it can't be related to the migration: The issue occurs with fresh projects in v4.19.2.
    - I tried with a fresh download of the VrExpPluginExample (https://bitbucket.org/mordentral/vrexppluginexample). Choose v4.19->Generate Visual Studio project files-> Open project -> Door/Drawer only works at second grip attempt
    - I tried with the 'pre-compiled' version from the 'Plugin Pre-built Downloads' section of the forums -> Door/Drawer only works at second grip attempt

.. I'm really scratching my head here.. Are you sure that in your version you don't have this issue?

By the way: The BP proceeds correctly to "Grip Object by Interface" (and has the correct "Object to Try to Grab" - door - ). The BP also proceeds into the Event On Child Grip (in the Door BP).. but for some reason the Grip doesn't actually happen..
    If it is going all the way to initializing the grip then it DID grip, the only thing that prevents it from there moving the object is if the grip is paused, or the object goes null. I also cannot re-produce and neither can anyone else I have asked.

What hardware are you on? Desktop Rift/Vive? Standalone?

*Edit* You aren't testing this in 2D are you?
    Last edited by mordentral; 07-18-2018, 09:56 AM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

I'll look into it, swimming was the one movement mode I didn't overhaul because no-one used it and the one that wanted swimming went with flight and custom movement because it was more controllable. It "should" still trigger so I need to find out why its not now.

*Edit* Its because the capsule has dynamic object overlap off by default, just turn it on, otherwise it never overlaps the volume.

I'll still do some quality passes over the movement mode anyway to finalize the last movement mode.

*re-edit* Cleaned up swimming for VR, let me know if it has any issues in functionality. I also ported it back to 4.19 from 4.20 since 4.20 isn't released yet.

Turning on the overlap worked, thanks!
      I'll try the other fixes later as well.

Comment

https://youtu.be/pZaRzVbPjcg

Here is a glimpse of ​my project​​​​​​ Gates. Which is powered by your plugin. I once again thank you for such a powerful plugin. Its awesome

Comment

Originally posted by sphinix257 View Post
          https://youtu.be/pZaRzVbPjcg

Here is a glimpse of ​my project​​​​​​ Gates. Which is powered by your plugin. I once again thank you for such a powerful plugin. Its awesome
          Nice progress

You went all out on the fracture generation on that cube

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Well...there is a flying movement mode?
            Thanks, that sounds like it would do the trick. I can't seem to find it in the demo project, though? Apologies, I'm relatively new to Unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by snakeviper1776 View Post

Thanks, that sounds like it would do the trick. I can't seem to find it in the demo project, though? Apologies, I'm relatively new to Unreal.
              Its a default character movement mode, you can either SetMovementMode (the node) or go into the CharacterMovementComponent's settings and change the default land movement mode to flying.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Its a default character movement mode, you can either SetMovementMode (the node) or go into the CharacterMovementComponent's settings and change the default land movement mode to flying.
                Oh, I see, that's what needed to be changed. Now I know my problem. I was just using the Pawn that comes with the base UE4 VR template, which doesn't seem to support that mode. Works fine with a character. Thanks a lot!

Comment

If it is going all the way to initializing the grip then it DID grip, the only thing that prevents it from there moving the object is if the grip is paused, or the object goes null. I also cannot re-produce and neither can anyone else I have asked.

What hardware are you on? Desktop Rift/Vive? Standalone?

*Edit* You aren't testing this in 2D are you?
                  I'm testing this with the Vive (always testing live with the headset and controllers), on Windows.

The problem is exactly the same with the VrExpPluginExample and my own project - however with my own project I've seen that the BP continues past changes that should be visible (door handle moving down) without the changes becoming visible.

Again, at from second Grip onwards everything is fine - unless you teleport, then it's re-set and the first Grip fails again.

I've also made all the settings in "VRGrip Interface" (of the Door BP) equal to other objects that do work correctly. No change.

Any tips where I can look next?

Comment

Nice progress

You went all out on the fracture generation on that cube

Thankyou. This is a little over a month of weekends. There's alot of features that weren't active in the demo. The code base conforms to just about any kind of gun real or scifi, but is heavily work in progress. I still have much to add to this project.

Comment

I'm testing this with the Vive (always testing live with the headset and controllers), on Windows.

The problem is exactly the same with the VrExpPluginExample and my own project - however with my own project I've seen that the BP continues past changes that should be visible (door handle moving down) without the changes becoming visible.

Again, at from second Grip onwards everything is fine - unless you teleport, then it's re-set and the first Grip fails again.

I've also made all the settings in "VRGrip Interface" (of the Door BP) equal to other objects that do work correctly. No change.

Any tips where I can look next?
                      Run some checks on Grip/Drop and see if it is dropping immediately after gripping, your trigger may be pulsing input.

We need to figure out if it is the input system forcing it to drop again or not.

You can also check IsHeld on the object itself and keep checking it, or HasHeldObjects on the controller.

*Edit* I had one other guy tell me he had it happen before, but that it wasn't consistent or re-producable (would happen once then not again) and that it never happened at all in a packaged game.
                      Last edited by mordentral; 07-18-2018, 02:02 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by snakeviper1776 View Post

Oh, I see, that's what needed to be changed. Now I know my problem. I was just using the Pawn that comes with the base UE4 VR template, which doesn't seem to support that mode. Works fine with a character. Thanks a lot!
                        Default vr template pawn has no movement component at all (ie: no movement).

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed 4.20 patch live to Default branch and locked 4.19 to a sub branch. Patch notes for 4.20 below, keep in mind that the majority of this engine upgrades work was on the back end as they made significant navigation and character changes (most ported in from Fortnite)

Plugin Changes

Code:
                          Updated openVR property strings

Full removal of the Interactible Settings from the plugin.
                          BP grippables using them will need to be revised to use sliders or custom grips instead.

Base framework for GripScripts created, not live yet though.

Changed all Expansion classes to use Generated_Body and not Generated_UClass_Body
                          This was past due.

Added VRPlayerStart actor which retains the foot = floor level for spawning and doesn't require Z adjustments.

Added OnGripOutOfRange delegate to the motion controllers.
                          If this event is bound to then the motion controller will no longer auto
                          drop the grip if it goes out of its drop range and will fire this event instead
                          to let the user control it.

If not bound to, then the normal auto drop logic runs.

This event is called on all connections, so if you intend to drop it, you should
                          filter behind a "HasGripAuthority()" check first.

Fixed several things to allow nativization of the plugin now that an engine bug has been fixed.

Fixed network character smoothing, no longer runs when rotation is happening, should be stable. Still defaulted to off for now.

Ignore NoRep grips replicating down from the server.
                          This is to avoid having to make another list and fixes a bug with them and the server.

Cleaned up swimming movement mode for VR, it should be fully functional
                          It likely "worked" before, but now it accounts for things it needs too.

Template Changes

Code:
                          Added a filter to "CanBeClimbed" to always ignore grip interfaced objects.

Added a VRPlayerStart to the template level in place of the PlayerStart that
                          was there before.

Changed drawer actor to use sliders and the new momentum settings

Changed the player controller to wait around for tracking before
                          spawning. Checks for valid tracked position and if it isn't valid yet it
                          waits before sending the players HMD info to the server (so server delays itself).

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Run some checks on Grip/Drop and see if it is dropping immediately after gripping, your trigger may be pulsing input.

We need to figure out if it is the input system forcing it to drop again or not.

You can also check IsHeld on the object itself and keep checking it, or HasHeldObjects on the controller.

*Edit* I had one other guy tell me he had it happen before, but that it wasn't consistent or re-producable (would happen once then not again) and that it never happened at all in a packaged game.
                            I can now confirm that the issue is caused by a drop fired immediately after the grip. Here it happens consistently - every time and with the editor as well as a packaged game. I'll play with a counter on the input trigger and come back with some results..

*Edit* but as said before it happens only with some objects (door / drawers) and not with others (pickup cube, gun, bottle) so I find it hard to see the reason on the side of the Controller side..
                            Last edited by Warner V; 07-18-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I can now confirm that the issue is caused by a drop fired immediately after the grip. Here it happens consistently - every time and with the editor as well as a packaged game. I'll play with a counter on the input trigger and come back with some results..

*Edit* but as said before it happens only with some objects (door / drawers) and not with others (pickup cube, gun, bottle) so I find it hard to see the reason on the side of the Controller side..
                              Well both of those use manipulation grips while the others aren't, however the length calculation should be the same.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Well both of those use manipulation grips while the others aren't, however the length calculation should be the same.
                                So I checked what I could find.. The "Event On Child Grip Release" in the DoorBP is called immediately after everything connected to "Event On Child Grip" has finished. However, on the PawnCharacter side, no InputAction(Release) is called - so it seems that the Grip Release is spontaneous (or maybe caused by something else, like the controller location being temporarily updated?).

Any clues what to do next?

*Edit* A new hint! It turns out that Teleporting is somehow triggering the behavior. If I'm starting close enough try the door without having to teleport, there is no issue. If I use any of the other movement modes, there is also no issue! Even with the "Navigation" mode and "Out of body Navigation" there is no issue. So whatever value is out of place, Teleporting sets it, while the others don't.

*Edit* The cause is somewhere in the function "Perform Move Action Teleport". As soon as I take that function out of the BP, the problem disappears.
                                Last edited by Warner V; 07-18-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X