VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

If you'd only read a little further down it has links to the example template and plugin itself......

The reason that there is so much text is the plugin is around 2 years old at this point and has a ton of features.

The demo is the example template but packaged into a running sample.
    I had no problem finding the template or the plug in. I do agree theres alot of data on that first page but it is definitely a massive, highy featured plugin. Wouldn't have it any other way.

And its free, its not really fair to complain.
    Last edited by sphinix257; 07-14-2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

The reason that there is so much text is the plugin is around 2 years old at this point and has a ton of features.

The demo is the example template but packaged into a running sample.
      That's great thanks! Tools to help with VR, it looks amazing, These all seem like things that should have been in the basic packages / SDK's etc. but were not.

However, "demo", "example" and "sample" ALL still sound to me like ways of saying, "Look!, then buy!" I'm just trying to find out if this is a 'complete' or 'usuable' package, or just an ,.. well,. s
      "Sample example demo" _ I'm just used to those words being a bit of a trick,.. (or form of AD...) and after 4 years lost to cancer, I have little time to explore things when a 2 second question might save me days first learning about something then being dissapointed it is too expensive for a startup to consider at this time

I am sorry but , I keep reading the sentence and over:

"The demo is the example template but packaged into a running sample" that really s not all clear to me Sorry,.. By 'Running sample', maybe you mean it is executable? I like that, I learn best by reverse engineering..

I'm sure you're busy, but could you just either say:
      "Yes it is the full version for free"
      or
      "It is a Demo that asks you to pay after you decide you need it!" ;~)

I'm 100% sure it's my fault, I am too literal (and OLD), (It even took me HOURS to try to figure out this 'google drive' thing, looking for how to get it, how to install it (?? I guess I had it??) and how to use it,.. and most importantly, where the files go when you unzip it,. (then how to download from Google drive, WHERE IT RE-ZIPPED IT BEFORE DOWNLOADING LOL< I was like WTF!?!?!
      Actually, I think that frustrated illogical re-zipping to download moment is about when I left my message sorry, it seemed like the ultimate waste of time when most online files you can just right click and open or save, not have to learn new tools, just to get a file..,. I don't particularly like Google, (none of you will in a few years when we start to refer to it as Big Brother and Skynet --> FOR REAL,.../) .

BUT I got it in the end, and I greatly appreciate your help and info and if this is a community accessible tool, that is of course amazing, and very much appreciated! .

I'm not a jerk, just in an insane rush trying to recover time and rebuild my career after fighting not to die for 4 years,.. I 'woke up' to a world with VR and I have to catch up,... I love it! It is kinda what saved me..

I look in the file, and I don't see any sort of 'Unreal' stuff,.(All this and I still don't understand, LOL). I see an executable (that does not run, it opens a black screen for a second then closes instantly, maybe I was supposed to install 'UE4PrereqSetup_x64.exe' first? ??) I have no interest in Demos anyways, I just care about the tools etc I can read about them if/when I find them,..)

Please consider the possibility that you are all so very used to and utterly intrinsically familiar with what this is (and it's history), that you speak and write about it in such a broad, assuming way, that it makes it really extra hard for people 100% new to it, to come to any kind of understanding what it is, what it DOES, What it costs (If anything?) or even what system it is for with that cryptic (to me at least..) 'open vr' opening. I'm still asking all these questions,. and curios what this is aabot about, You say to read further I read for an hour last night, all the early stuff and a ton of comments, It's just too much and NOTHING plainly stated, like: "THIS TOOL DOES THIS." "This tool is free" "Right click and open into Unreal" ...

It's not just me, All the info text is replete with so many assumptions of someone already knowing what it is all about, it makes it so hard to get ones head around... I wish you could experience the page FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY, and how overwhelming it might feel never having known anything about it, you might be more compassionate to my quandary and you yourself might even realize, "it never really says what it is! It says not to use it for big projects, or something, or not to use in in existing projects,. BUT: where all that text is, IT SHOULD SAY WHAT IT IS; FIRST!! All that text about not using it in this project or that, assumes people know what the thing is, right? you see?? Instead of having to ask me if I read 'more' you should probably be asking people, , Did you read the opening text, (and if they did, the way it is now, they would, like me, have little to no idea what it is even IS, (only what projects NOT to use it on,...)
      Heck, before it really says anything specific about what it is, it lists like 30 games it was used on , I'm like Wow!, GREAT!
      But what is it??? ;~)

I think it is probably hopeless for a lifelong Character Animator,. I tried understanding again before clicking send here:

"Clone in source tree"?
      BitGot? Gitbot?
      Visual Studio?

It's not exactly simple, already dealing with Google drive for the first time seemed so unnecessary.
      I already know, this is never going to be accessible to a hollywood animator porting skills to VR,.. I guess I was stretching,. I don't have to time to learn all these different 'Source Tree- Got-Bit / (Big-Got?) things, just to get a file to open in Unreal,.

The demo doesn't even run on an i7 machine with 128GB of DDR4, Two 512GB NVRAM-SSD's and EVGA water-cooled SLI'd 1080 Ti Founders Editions . (bought for me by Fans of my animated series and my Youtube subscribers, I didn't have the money believe you me.) as I said the Demo Sample Example Template opens and closes instantly. I even tried using compatibility tool in Win10-64... Without the demo running, and cryptic descriptions like: "This plugin is intended to ease the creation of VR games/experiences in UE4" How could I possibly know what it is or does? I don't feel like I was unreasonable asking... This definitely does not feel like it would 'ease the creation of VR'.

But THANK YOU for responding!

Rob
      Last edited by NextWorldVR; 07-14-2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I believe that I also note that it is intended for advanced mechanics and that it might not be the best thing for beginning developers.

As for the .exe closing instantly, you must have an antivirus blocking it or something, and the folder contents are standard UE4 packaged contents....

I feel that you may not be ready to try it and there are better starter plugins out there for you.

Regardless, no its not paid, yes it is for free in all of its forms, it is MIT licensed which grants the user the rights to do just about anything they want as long as they credit the use of it.
        Last edited by mordentral; 07-14-2018, 07:53 PM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Just wanted to give a heads up to those that don't check the repository updates, fixed a bug with 4.19 and 4.20 with late updates and controller profiles.

4.19 got a patch that was meant for 4.20 only, and 4.20 needed some fixes still to that patch.

All is well again, I'll note it when I gather up a list of changes next.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hey,
            thank you for making this great plugin, I am using it for my master thesis where i have to implement a multiplayer vr scenario.
            Now I have the situation that 2 grippable actors need to be sticked together (into each other), but as you explain in your Youtube video, these are physics objects by intent.
            Is there a possibility to disable it? Unchecking "simulate physics" on both actors does not help.
            I would like to have the "default" behaviour of overlapping actors with your grippable static mesh actor class.

EDIT:
            ok, i found it out. By setting the primary grip type to "attachment" i get the desired effect.
            However, there is another problem now.
            I have a Grippable Static Mesh Actor, which spawns other Blueprint Actors of type Grippable Static Mesh Actor and attaches them, this works fine.
            I can now grip every part independently as desired. With a physics grip this works fine, except for the collision described above.
            With an attachment grip however, the Components start to "fly around" after dropping. The do not fall to the ground as I thought.
            Any Ideas?

Thanks for an answer,
            Maik
            Last edited by Luckymator; 07-16-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckymator View Post
              Hey,
              thank you for making this great plugin, I am using it for my master thesis where i have to implement a multiplayer vr scenario.
              Now I have the situation that 2 grippable actors need to be sticked together (into each other), but as you explain in your Youtube video, these are physics objects by intent.
              Is there a possibility to disable it? Unchecking "simulate physics" on both actors does not help.
              I would like to have the "default" behaviour of overlapping actors with your grippable static mesh actor class.

EDIT:
              ok, i found it out. By setting the primary grip type to "attachment" i get the desired effect.
              However, there is another problem now.
              I have a Grippable Static Mesh Actor, which spawns other Blueprint Actors of type Grippable Static Mesh Actor and attaches them, this works fine.
              I can now grip every part independently as desired. With a physics grip this works fine, except for the collision described above.
              With an attachment grip however, the Components start to "fly around" after dropping. The do not fall to the ground as I thought.
              Any Ideas?

Thanks for an answer,
              Maik
              Don't use attachment grip, use Physics Only generally, also if they aren't dropping after you let go, then you need to select SimulateOnDrop

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi, firstly thanks for this awesome plugun - it's been invaluable.

I am deploying to an Oculus Go and am having issues with the camera height being incorrect. On Vive, the eye level respects the play area and base station configuration, so no problem. On Go, the camera falls to the floor. I've tried changing tracking origin to Eye Level in the character blueprint but this makes no difference. In the end I've had to hack the actor +150cm higher in the viewport for a Go build, but would like to know what I'm missing in order to get the Oculus platform setting height correctly.

UE 4.19.2
                VRE 7/6/18

Thanks

Comment

Don't use attachment grip, use Physics Only generally, also if they aren't dropping after you let go, then you need to select SimulateOnDrop
                  Hey, thanks for your answer. Phsyics only works just as fine. But the "floating" persists. It is not that they dont fall at all, but the parts rather fall to the ground, and then start to swing around at the ground. Do you have any idea, or is this something wrong on my side?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Luckymator View Post

Hey, thanks for your answer. Phsyics only works just as fine. But the "floating" persists. It is not that they dont fall at all, but the parts rather fall to the ground, and then start to swing around at the ground. Do you have any idea, or is this something wrong on my side?

Thanks!
                    Should be something wrong on your side, its kind of hard to know without visualizing what you mean by "swing around". Could be them attached to their parent with an offset, a physics collision jitter, a late update retention, or something else.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by thyrf View Post
                      Hi, firstly thanks for this awesome plugun - it's been invaluable.

I am deploying to an Oculus Go and am having issues with the camera height being incorrect. On Vive, the eye level respects the play area and base station configuration, so no problem. On Go, the camera falls to the floor. I've tried changing tracking origin to Eye Level in the character blueprint but this makes no difference. In the end I've had to hack the actor +150cm higher in the viewport for a Go build, but would like to know what I'm missing in order to get the Oculus platform setting height correctly.

UE 4.19.2
                      VRE 7/6/18

Thanks
                      Go doesn't have roomscale so you'll always want to use Eye level, you need to offset the VRRoot so that it brings the camera up on the actor to where you want your head to be.

Essentially it is working correctly with go, there isn't a height for that platform at all, you have to choose what you want.

That being said, there is less reason to use a VRCharacter for a head locked pawn like that, its not being influenced by roomscale movement so you don't need the offset support really.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi,

I'm posting here because of a bug that has been bothering me for many many hours.. It seems to have been introduced with my update from 4.18 to 4.19 (and the subsequent update of the VR Expansion Plugin).

I'm using the VRPluginExample level without adjustments.

When attempting to grip the door, the first grip fails. This first grip seems to 'set' something, because at the second (and subsequent) attempt(s), the grip succeeds. After moving to another item, things seems to be reset and we are back at where we started.

Somehow the issue occurs only with the doors, drawer and closet - other elements (like the pickup cube) work as expected.

Does anyone else have the same issue? Any solutions?

Thanks!
                        Warner

Comment

Hi,

I've been trying to make my vr pawn be able to swim in water but can't make it work.
                          It seems like the pawn doesn't recognise that it's in water (physics volume with water volume checked) the same way that a thridpersonCharacter would. Both seem to have isSwimming in characterMovement/vrMovementReference but it's always false in the vrPawn. Is swimming not supported or am I just missing something to make it work?

Thanks for any help!

Comment

Originally posted by Warner V View Post
                            Hi,

I'm posting here because of a bug that has been bothering me for many many hours.. It seems to have been introduced with my update from 4.18 to 4.19 (and the subsequent update of the VR Expansion Plugin).

I'm using the VRPluginExample level without adjustments.

When attempting to grip the door, the first grip fails. This first grip seems to 'set' something, because at the second (and subsequent) attempt(s), the grip succeeds. After moving to another item, things seems to be reset and we are back at where we started.

Somehow the issue occurs only with the doors, drawer and closet - other elements (like the pickup cube) work as expected.

Does anyone else have the same issue? Any solutions?

Thanks!
                            Warner
                            Its something with how you performed your upgrade, did you follow the migration notes?

I don't believe that anyone else is having this issue.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by vrfabriken View Post
                              Hi,

I've been trying to make my vr pawn be able to swim in water but can't make it work.
                              It seems like the pawn doesn't recognise that it's in water (physics volume with water volume checked) the same way that a thridpersonCharacter would. Both seem to have isSwimming in characterMovement/vrMovementReference but it's always false in the vrPawn. Is swimming not supported or am I just missing something to make it work?

Thanks for any help!
                              I'll look into it, swimming was the one movement mode I didn't overhaul because no-one used it and the one that wanted swimming went with flight and custom movement because it was more controllable. It "should" still trigger so I need to find out why its not now.

*Edit* Its because the capsule has dynamic object overlap off by default, just turn it on, otherwise it never overlaps the volume.

I'll still do some quality passes over the movement mode anyway to finalize the last movement mode.

*re-edit* Cleaned up swimming for VR, let me know if it has any issues in functionality. I also ported it back to 4.19 from 4.20 since 4.20 isn't released yet.
                              Last edited by mordentral; 07-18-2018, 09:50 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Its something with how you performed your upgrade, did you follow the migration notes?

I don't believe that anyone else is having this issue.

It seems to me that it can't be related to the migration: The issue occurs with fresh projects in v4.19.2.
                                - I tried with a fresh download of the VrExpPluginExample (https://bitbucket.org/mordentral/vrexppluginexample). Choose v4.19->Generate Visual Studio project files-> Open project -> Door/Drawer only works at second grip attempt
                                - I tried with the 'pre-compiled' version from the 'Plugin Pre-built Downloads' section of the forums -> Door/Drawer only works at second grip attempt

.. I'm really scratching my head here.. Are you sure that in your version you don't have this issue?

By the way: The BP proceeds correctly to "Grip Object by Interface" (and has the correct "Object to Try to Grab" - door - ). The BP also proceeds into the Event On Child Grip (in the Door BP).. but for some reason the Grip doesn't actually happen..
                                Last edited by Warner V; 07-18-2018, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X