No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I've run into a bit of an issue I was hoping somebody could help with. Currently, I'm translating the motion controller transforms to an Ikinema rig in order to properly track the player's upper body movement to their character.

That said, the IK rig has some constraints that the motion controllers do not, so when I grip an object, such as a firearm, instead of having it follow the motion controller's movement directly, I'd like to have it snap to the player's skeletal mesh, thereby following its movement, rather than the motion controller directly (otherwise, the gun tends to be more responsive than the IK rig and this causes the hand to lag behind the gun while gripping).

Looking at the blueprints, I'm unsure how to accomplish this. I tried a very basic method of simply, on a successful grip, having the gripped object snap to a socket on the player's hand, but while this worked for basic grippable static meshes, it didn't work for my weapons (derived from BP_Firearm) and it of course negated the ability of the object to collide with the environment while held.

Hopefully somebody will be able to help, because I'm quite stuck at this point.

TL;DR: I'm trying to figure out how to have a held object follow the movement of a socket on the player's skeletal mesh, rather than directly following the motion controller, to avoid lag between the object and the player mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Rebel15515 View Post
      Hey, I've run into a bit of an issue I was hoping somebody could help with. Currently, I'm translating the motion controller transforms to an Ikinema rig in order to properly track the player's upper body movement to their character.

That said, the IK rig has some constraints that the motion controllers do not, so when I grip an object, such as a firearm, instead of having it follow the motion controller's movement directly, I'd like to have it snap to the player's skeletal mesh, thereby following its movement, rather than the motion controller directly (otherwise, the gun tends to be more responsive than the IK rig and this causes the hand to lag behind the gun while gripping).

Looking at the blueprints, I'm unsure how to accomplish this. I tried a very basic method of simply, on a successful grip, having the gripped object snap to a socket on the player's hand, but while this worked for basic grippable static meshes, it didn't work for my weapons (derived from BP_Firearm) and it of course negated the ability of the object to collide with the environment while held.

Hopefully somebody will be able to help, because I'm quite stuck at this point.

TL;DR: I'm trying to figure out how to have a held object follow the movement of a socket on the player's skeletal mesh, rather than directly following the motion controller, to avoid lag between the object and the player mesh.
      Well just turning off late updates should let it work fine as long as you run your IK calculations late enough, the only downside there is that if the object goes out of reach of the IK arm.

The alternative is turning off tracking and movement replication on the motion controllers and manually moving the IK to match the tracking data for the controllers, then just attach the controllers onto the IK hand where you want the grip base and use them just as gripping components.

Either works, regardless though I have to say that I personally do not enjoy late updateless games when holding things, the latency can be very noticeable.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Where is the 4.19 Template?

is this the 4.19 or 4.20?
        https://bitbucket.org/mordentral/vre...?tab=downloads

i try to use this with 4.19 but dont start

i try to change the version with right click
        i try to build via VB
        but nothing work i cant start the template with 4.19
        Last edited by JUDGE DREDD VR; 07-10-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mallory85 View Post
          Where is the 4.19 Template?

is this the 4.19 or 4.20?
          https://bitbucket.org/mordentral/vre...?tab=downloads

i try to use this with 4.19 but dont start

i try to change the version with right click
          i try to build via VB
          but nothing work i cant start the template with 4.19
          Master/Default branch is always the current engine version, so this: https://bitbucket.org/mordentral/vre...et/default.zip

Regardless downloading the repository should give you the default branch which is 4.19.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

OK i Download

1. Right Click on VRExpPluginExample.uproject and Generate VS Project File
            2. Open VRExpPluginExample.sln and Build have 1 error

If i try open Project say missing ddl files, you like rebuild? i say yes! and error VRexpPluginExample could not be compiled.

What i make wrong?

This error
            UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: C:\Users\user\Desktop\mordentral-vrexppluginexample-f444d27d04b1\Plugins\VRExpansionPlugin\VRExpansionPlugin\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-VRExpansionPlugin.lib
            Last edited by JUDGE DREDD VR; 07-10-2018, 10:50 PM.

Comment

OK i Download

1. Right Click on VRExpPluginExample.uproject and Generate VS Project File
              2. Open VRExpPluginExample.sln and Build have 1 error

If i try open Project say missing ddl files, you like rebuild? i say yes! and error VRexpPluginExample could not be compiled.

What i make wrong?

This error
              UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: C:\Users\user\Desktop\mordentral-vrexppluginexample-f444d27d04b1\Plugins\VRExpansionPlugin\VRExpansionPlugin\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-VRExpansionPlugin.lib
              Remove all of the extra characters in the folder name that bitbucket generates, the name length is too long.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

2>UnrealBuildTool : error : UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: C:\Users\user\Desktop\VRTemplate\Plugins\VRExpansionPlugin\VRExpansionPlugin\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-VRExpansionPlugin.lib

Same

Comment

Hey i have a theoretical question. Can the vr character pawn be scaled up. To say. Climb into a mech suit that is really a large pawn.

Comment

Originally posted by sphinix257 View Post
                    Hey i have a theoretical question. Can the vr character pawn be scaled up. To say. Climb into a mech suit that is really a large pawn.
                    Yes, you would want to change world to meters when inside it if viewing from its eyes, if just a cockpit, then you don't need to do that.

Regardless if it is a cockpit then you don't want a VRCharacter, you want a std character with vr set to head relative instead of floor.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I have been having this strange error when playing in dedicated server(real one, not the one inside engine) with at least two people and one of them dropping out. It doesnt affect game, but this is very annoying. Any idea why this is happening? Why does the motion controller is looking the spline when it is inside the teleport controller? Do they get attached to Motion Controller somewhere? I didn't find it in code? Thanks!

Comment

2>UnrealBuildTool : error : UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: C:\Users\user\Desktop\VRTemplate\Plugins\VRExpansionPlugin\VRExpansionPlugin\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-VRExpansionPlugin.lib

Same
                        How do I get it to work now?

Comment

How do I get it to work now?
                          That doesn't describe anything to me, now that you've ruled out max file name length I would need to see any actual errors.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Frisco View Post
                            I have been having this strange error when playing in dedicated server(real one, not the one inside engine) with at least two people and one of them dropping out. It doesnt affect game, but this is very annoying. Any idea why this is happening? Why does the motion controller is looking the spline when it is inside the teleport controller? Do they get attached to Motion Controller somewhere? I didn't find it in code? Thanks!
                            Yes they do attach to the motion controller to pick up its late updates, you could also just add them to the motion controllers late update array instead, i was just being a little lazy when I set it up.

It shouldn't cause that error anyway, its allowed to re-attach components and they aren't set to replicate.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

That doesn't describe anything to me, now that you've ruled out max file name length I would need to see any actual errors.
                              its only the one error on build

Comment

its only the one error on build
                                Then delete all intermediate folders, generate files, and build it again. I don't see any invalid characters in the file path, that is a UBT error, its not really plugin related, generally it is a bad project path, corrupt generated files (intermediate folder), or a too long file path string.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X