VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sphinix257 View Post
    ok so im a bit confused on the grip system with gameplay tags. and i couldn't find any documentation in your wiki.

im trying to set up a common oculus system where the items are picked up on grip and dropped on grip release. triggers would be the use buttons. my test object is the gun which i love and have expanded on vastly to do all kinds of guns now, and flashlights or just socket griped pickups. its great code.

but i cant figure out the grip tag system.
    i got kinda got it working. i added a grip input and set the tags for the grabR and grapL commented code and it picks up and drops correctly, but then i had issues figuring out how to properly rehookup the triggers so i can use them for use events.

can you please tell me a bit about how the grip tags system works and how i could use it for what i need.
    In the example gun I have that shown, on grip it rebinds the UseButton to trigger and the drop button to Grip if the gun is held at the handle, if it is held outside of the handle then it retains the trigger grip/drop.

You can swap gameplay tags around live on objects to control what buttons they want for what actions.

The gameplay tags aren't part of the plugin itself, the template does all of the control code for what the plugin does in blueprint and gameplay tags were the easiest method of allowing any object with any interaction for testing. The BPs are just calling the correct plugin nodes for grip and drop depending on the tag values and what button was used for the action.

However, if you really just want those actions you mentioned above, you can skip all of the code setting parts and in the objects default tags just set the following

Grip.OnGrip
    Drop.OnGrip
    Use.OnTrigger
    EndUse.OnTriggerRelease

And it will work like you want without live re-assignment, will grip and drop with side grip press, will use with trigger press, and end use on trigger release.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

How i can a little bit Rotate the Weapon in Hand?
      Last edited by JUDGE DREDD VR; 06-17-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Hi mordentral, this plugin is fantastic. We're migrating our game over to it bit by bit, we've come across one thing that we can't replicate with your plugin though -

We have a leaning system in our game where collisions at your feet prevent further non-roomscale locomotion, but the player can still use roomscale to lean over objects. So we can lean over railings or over worktops and tables, but are prevented from moving through them using controller movement.

With your plugin, HMD position seems to be locked completely to the capsule, so leaning over objects is impossible. Have seen in some places you mention a "neck offset" but we can't seem to find any such option (perhaps this isn't even a solution to our problem?)

A perfect solution would be to have the capsule recognize steps and ramps and handle vertical travel with precision, but to only block the player on a horizontal plane past 40-50cm or some arbitrary value so there is some generous tolerance, and maybe as a back up have the camera position will fully block the player if they try to look through a wall or something. Is anything close to this possible?

Anyway, help would be super appreciated for this, since not being able to look / lean over objects feels very limiting. Hopefully it's just something we're missing, keep up the awesome work :>

Comment

Bump. I am also extremely interested on modifying the collision capsule in game. I use alot of climbing and leaning over ledges and tips for haveing a bit of leniency for passing thru certain objects in game would be awesome to know

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicalsnowman View Post
            Hi mordentral, this plugin is fantastic. We're migrating our game over to it bit by bit, we've come across one thing that we can't replicate with your plugin though -

We have a leaning system in our game where collisions at your feet prevent further non-roomscale locomotion, but the player can still use roomscale to lean over objects. So we can lean over railings or over worktops and tables, but are prevented from moving through them using controller movement.

With your plugin, HMD position seems to be locked completely to the capsule, so leaning over objects is impossible. Have seen in some places you mention a "neck offset" but we can't seem to find any such option (perhaps this isn't even a solution to our problem?)

A perfect solution would be to have the capsule recognize steps and ramps and handle vertical travel with precision, but to only block the player on a horizontal plane past 40-50cm or some arbitrary value so there is some generous tolerance, and maybe as a back up have the camera position will fully block the player if they try to look through a wall or something. Is anything close to this possible?

Anyway, help would be super appreciated for this, since not being able to look / lean over objects feels very limiting. Hopefully it's just something we're missing, keep up the awesome work :>
            I don't intend to add this officially myself as the concept in general is flawed, without a waist tracker the "lean" effect can be done just by the player walking forward, you don't have any real way to actually require them to make the leaning motion. At that point there is no difference between an offset collision / no collision on the object and allowing "leaning". Faking detection of a lean with head to floor and hand detection is impractical IMO.

And then WITH a waist tracker there is no need, the capsule will follow the waist instead and the problem doesn't exist.

The neck offset is a value on the capsule that offsets it by a distance from the camera, you can modify it during runtime if you wish.

I had a working concept with a seperate capsule around the head and some logic to deal with the two, but I didn't like what it required me to do for multiplayer and I locked the branch away back in 4.12 or so. Its on the very farthest back burner of my features TODO.

Also there is the WalkingMovementOverride collision option, it allows you to use two seperate collision setups, one for locomotion, and one for roomscale. So you can walk through objects like tables, but you can't locomotion through them.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Aha, thanks for the reply.

While I agree the concept is flawed without a waist tracker, VR hardware is so limited right now that workarounds are necessary to make up for the lack of tech Can only dream of full body tracking right now.

Anyway WalkingMovementOverride is more or less exactly what I was after, it works very nicely after some quick tests, thanks so much!

Bump. I am also extremely interested on modifying the collision capsule in game. I use alot of climbing and leaning over ledges and tips for haveing a bit of leniency for passing thru certain objects in game would be awesome to know
              There is your answer too, I think!

Comment

How i can a little bit Rotate the Weapon in Hand on Vive? the Position on Rift is good but on Vive need little bit rotate

Comment

Originally posted by Mallory85 View Post
                  How i can a little bit Rotate the Weapon in Hand on Vive? the Position on Rift is good but on Vive need little bit rotate
                  Its about a 30 degree pitch difference in general for how you hold the object between touch and vive.

The latest template has controller profiles implemented that take care of that difference for you, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRVhdjpMyys

However you can also manually offset grips by OffsetTransformByControllerProfile the node, or manually doing that logic when using a slot grip, or using seperate sockets.

The latest is just that bOffsetByControllerProfile option on the motion controller itself which moves the actual controller to account for the difference.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Thanks for Info, is it possible set the heigt for Vive? Oculus is nice but Vive can be a little bit higher.

Comment

Thanks for Info, is it possible set the heigt for Vive? Oculus is nice but Vive can be a little bit higher.
                      Same thing, the offset is a full transform, you can adjust location as well.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicalsnowman View Post
                        Aha, thanks for the reply.

While I agree the concept is flawed without a waist tracker, VR hardware is so limited right now that workarounds are necessary to make up for the lack of tech Can only dream of full body tracking right now.

Anyway WalkingMovementOverride is more or less exactly what I was after, it works very nicely after some quick tests, thanks so much!

There is your answer too, I think!
                        Yeh. Leaning has always been dodgyin all vr. But i can look up whether or not i can turn on and off a collision channel mid game. If that works i can alow climing thru scene objects but not the world floor or environment walls. Then i can climb over the top of stuff a bit easier.

Speaking of which
                        mordentral? Is there a way to add collisions to my character that prevents movement other than my capsule. It would be cool to make the body smaller and not be able to phase my head into walls.

Comment

Yeh. Leaning has always been dodgyin all vr. But i can look up whether or not i can turn on and off a collision channel mid game. If that works i can alow climing thru scene objects but not the world floor or environment walls. Then i can climb over the top of stuff a bit easier.

Speaking of which
                          mordentral? Is there a way to add collisions to my character that prevents movement other than my capsule. It would be cool to make the body smaller and not be able to phase my head into walls.
                          No, it is actually a significant level of overhead to perform the movement logic with more than one sweeping body. There is a reason characters in pretty much all games use a singular capsule for performant movement. Adding another one is a significant overhaul of the character movement.

As mentioned previously, I had a working method (the comments are still in the code here and there), but it was too expensive and hard to work into multiplayer character movement cleanly.

Also yes, you can turn off channel collisions at will on the pawn capsule.
                          Last edited by mordentral; 06-18-2018, 08:43 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

No, it is actually a significant level of overhead to perform the movement logic with more than one sweeping body. There is a reason characters in pretty much all games use a singular capsule for performant movement. Adding another one is a significant overhaul of the character movement.

As mentioned previously, I had a working method (the comments are still in the code here and there), but it was too expensive and hard to work into multiplayer character movement cleanly.

Also yes, you can turn off channel collisions at will on the pawn capsule.
                            I wasn't aware that it was that intense. But i can understand the desision.

Cool. I can work with that then. Thank you. My next weekend project is to scratch write my character and ive been wondering that.

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Its about a 30 degree pitch difference in general for how you hold the object between touch and vive.

The latest template has controller profiles implemented that take care of that difference for you, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRVhdjpMyys

However you can also manually offset grips by OffsetTransformByControllerProfile the node, or manually doing that logic when using a slot grip, or using seperate sockets.

The latest is just that bOffsetByControllerProfile option on the motion controller itself which moves the actual controller to account for the difference.
                              OK i use 4.18 Version

I make Profiles and load it but not work

maybe I forgot something?

Comment

OK i use 4.18 Version

I make Profiles and load it but not work

maybe I forgot something?
                                The template should already have it in it unless you just upgraded from an earlier version (4.16, 4.17 had it i think), in that case you would need to use the OffsetTransformByControllerProfile node and combine it with the slot grip transform.

In 4.19 it can be automatic with the new settings in the motion controllers, I don't intend to back port that to 4.18 though since it took some extensions to other classes.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X