No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Is there a way to move a skeletal mesh actor at the nearest bone, or at the gripping location without enabling physics movement? I've made a child blueprint class from the GrippableSkeletonMeshActor class and added the "Interactible.PerBoneGripping" gameplay tag. Changing the grip type allows gripping at the bone location with physics movement, but grip types without physics movement grip at the mesh root, with an odd rotation. Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by graysan; 05-18-2018, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by graysan View Post
      Hi, Is there a way to move a skeletal mesh actor at the nearest bone, or at the gripping location without enabling physics movement? I've made a child blueprint class from the GrippableSkeletonMeshActor class and added the "Interactible.PerBoneGripping" gameplay tag. Changing the grip type allows gripping at the bone location with physics movement, but grip types without physics movement grip at the mesh root, with an odd rotation. Thanks for your time!
      Changing it to per bone gripping passes in the transform of the bone itself, which is why you are getting a different rotation with a non simulating grip that doesn't actually target the specific bone.
      Also no, if the bone isn't simulating then it retains its animation pose at all times.......You can't even move a bone and then unsimulate and have it hold its location.

You would want a poseable mesh for that or to feed in the altered position to the animation graph for the TransformBone node.

The easiest would be to use a poseable mesh with a custom grip type where you change the position via SetBoneTransformByName, the problem with poseable meshes is that they don't support physx assets / collision and you'd have to figure out how you would want to define a grip and where to get the hovered bone from.

I am not personally aware of any better solutions outside of a custom skeletal component where you change the behavior manually in c++.

Also I have some commented out code that originally only simulated the body being picked up, however since its pointless currently as skeletal meshes snap back into place the current version simulates all bones on a simulated grip.

*Edit* Just in case since you worded your question a bit weird....if its the case where you just wanted the grip to be held at a specific point of the mesh and you aren't trying to move a single bone, turn off per bone gripping, it will always move non simulating grips from the root (its the only way), but it offsets to hold the same relative to controller position.
      Last edited by mordentral; 05-18-2018, 08:58 AM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

How hard would it be to make a lever that is held using the grip button instead of the trigger? I've been pouring over it for a while now and I can't see how it would be done.

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

*Edit* Just in case since you worded your question a bit weird....if its the case where you just wanted the grip to be held at a specific point of the mesh and you aren't trying to move a single bone, turn off per bone gripping, it will always move non simulating grips from the root (its the only way), but it offsets to hold the same relative to controller position.
          That was what I wanted, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Sapcedog View Post
            How hard would it be to make a lever that is held using the grip button instead of the trigger? I've been pouring over it for a while now and I can't see how it would be done.
            In the template? Change the gameplay tag for GripType to "SideGrip" instead of "Trigger" in the objects properties.
            Last edited by mordentral; 05-19-2018, 12:22 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

In the template? Change the gameplay tag for GripType to "SideGrip" instead of "Trigger" in the objects properties.
              Ahh I was trying to edit the steering wheel and that has none of the tags set so I was a bit confused. Works great thanks!!
              Last edited by Sapcedog; 05-19-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Video going over the controller profiles and a recent addition to them (I am going to be making a few videos this weekend).

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi Mordentral, your plugin is the best thing since sliced bread! I've been an avid user on Vive for a long time. Truly awesome work man.
                  Have you tried out the AR template on an iPad? It works surprisingly well.
                  I'm working mainly on AR projects now (there is big demand) and it would be out of this world if it was possible to use your plugin. Interaction would work with motion controllers connected to the iPad like the FPS_Pawn say...
                  What are the issues and difficulties that would be faced attempting to get the plugin working in Unreal AR? It would be a great opportunity to bring the plugin to the Apple and Google AR app world. I think it would be very popular and I don't think the work required to support it would be too great.
                  The network capabilities would be useful once shared global markers are supported in ARKit/Core in future.
                  What do you think? I'm prepared to do the work myself (probably badly) if you could give me some general advice, but you're the guy for the job man! Any questions please ask.

Thanks muchly!

Comment

Is there a suggested method of turning off the movement mode switching and text displayed on the motion controllers? I've been playing around with this for a few days and got everything working as I want, but after disabling various likely bits and pieces I still haven't found where the text is actually drawn.

Also I have deleted the red highlighted section that sets the motion controller skin in character event graph but my controllers are still being drawn instead of the animated hands, is there something else I need to do?

Comment

Originally posted by IslandPlaya View Post
                      Hi Mordentral, your plugin is the best thing since sliced bread! I've been an avid user on Vive for a long time. Truly awesome work man.
                      Have you tried out the AR template on an iPad? It works surprisingly well.
                      I'm working mainly on AR projects now (there is big demand) and it would be out of this world if it was possible to use your plugin. Interaction would work with motion controllers connected to the iPad like the FPS_Pawn say...
                      What are the issues and difficulties that would be faced attempting to get the plugin working in Unreal AR? It would be a great opportunity to bring the plugin to the Apple and Google AR app world. I think it would be very popular and I don't think the work required to support it would be too great.
                      The network capabilities would be useful once shared global markers are supported in ARKit/Core in future.
                      What do you think? I'm prepared to do the work myself (probably badly) if you could give me some general advice, but you're the guy for the job man! Any questions please ask.

Thanks muchly!
                      I don't intend to get involved in AR to much currently as I don't have the hardware, it is also pretty close to its infancy in implementation right now.

That being said, assuming the motion tracked controllers follow the standard interface that ue4 uses (and any made for AR should), it should work seamlessly, obviously the HMD part of the characters is no longer needed, but the motion controllers would be fine and could be used as is.

Originally posted by Sapcedog View Post
                      Is there a suggested method of turning off the movement mode switching and text displayed on the motion controllers? I've been playing around with this for a few days and got everything working as I want, but after disabling various likely bits and pieces I still haven't found where the text is actually drawn.

Also I have deleted the red highlighted section that sets the motion controller skin in character event graph but my controllers are still being drawn instead of the animated hands, is there something else I need to do?
                      The red highlighted area is the only part that loads them, if they are still loading then you likely have Epics new loading system in 4.19 turned on (DevicedisplayModel in options of motion controllers). As far as movement, the Gripbutton events toggle, just delete the SwitchMovementModes function from it, and deleting the text from the controllers will give you the one spot it is used, a "WriteToLog" function from back before I had actual logs implemeneted.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed a new commit to the repository to go along with the Controller Profiles video I uploaded last night.

Code:
                        Adding in bOffsetByControllerProfile to the motion controller.

If true, it will offset the controllers by the currently loaded profiles
                        OffsetTransform.

Throws the event OnControllerProfileTransformChanged to the controllers
                        so that things like procedural meshes can be offset to account for it (proc
                        meshes load already aligned to the controller type, so they need to be adjusted).

This makes it far easier to add and use controller profiles, besides  the procedural
                        mesh re-alignment (which most don't use anyway) it will be fairly seamless.

The example template has example profiles now and implementations of all of this.

(also thanks to SlimeQ for the idea, I had doubts due to having to think about what special cases would need to be handled, but it was fairly straight forward.)

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I don't intend to get involved in AR to much currently as I don't have the hardware, it is also pretty close to its infancy in implementation right now.

That being said, assuming the motion tracked controllers follow the standard interface that ue4 uses (and any made for AR should), it should work seamlessly, obviously the HMD part of the characters is no longer needed, but the motion controllers would be fine and could be used as is

The HMD for AR is the tracked tablet/phone position and orientation. Lock to HMD for the Pawn camera works so I think VR character should be usable. I'm going to enable the plugin on an iOS AR project and see what comes up. There is no SteamVR etc, can I easily disable anything dependant on that?

Many Thanks

Comment

The red highlighted area is the only part that loads them, if they are still loading then you likely have Epics new loading system in 4.19 turned on (DevicedisplayModel in options of motion controllers). As far as movement, the Gripbutton events toggle, just delete the SwitchMovementModes function from it, and deleting the text from the controllers will give you the one spot it is used, a "WriteToLog" function from back before I had actual logs implemeneted.
                            Thanks, it turns out I'm a idiot and was working on the simple base vr character instead of the Vive one.

Comment

Originally posted by IslandPlaya View Post

The HMD for AR is the tracked tablet/phone position and orientation. Lock to HMD for the Pawn camera works so I think VR character should be usable. I'm going to enable the plugin on an iOS AR project and see what comes up. There is no SteamVR etc, can I easily disable anything dependant on that?

Many Thanks
                              The OpenVR stuff is a seperate module that can be turned off, but it also compiles out any specific code if on a platform that doesn't support openVR anyway.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi! i have a problem with objects that i grip.. when i grip something and i move my character the object don't stay steady on my hand but have a sort of "lag"... if i shake my hand quickly the object fly away. How can i fix this?
                                Thank you for all the work on this plugin, is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X