Added new game to the use case list

Frol Blok

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi,

Just wanted to say that this plugin is amazing. The out of body navigation is something we've wanted to use. The implementation of multiplayer is also a plus.

I was wondering however how the gestures are supposed to be detected on your example project? I've tried tracing the shape of the image but nothing seems to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by VWAStudio View Post
        Hi,

Just wanted to say that this plugin is amazing. The out of body navigation is something we've wanted to use. The implementation of multiplayer is also a plus.

I was wondering however how the gestures are supposed to be detected on your example project? I've tried tracing the shape of the image but nothing seems to happen.
        It activates with the wand and holding trigger, but that is just the demo setup, can just attach the gesture tracking component to anything (like the motion controller).

You'll have to keep in mind that unless I specifically enabled mirror mode on a gesture, I am left handed so the starting direction of things is typically reversed from normal. Also the starting location matters, drawing the circle from bottom won't match the circle drawn from top, it isn't a glyph recognizer, it is a path recognizer.

Also I left all settings default for those example ones, tolerances can be adjusted to make gestures easier or harder to detect.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hello.
          First of all, great plugin!
          But I am having trouble on the gripping object interacting with physics simulating object.
          In your example project, I have created a Tennis racquet blueprint. It is under the class of grippable static mesh.
          I have also created a tennis ball blueprint as a normal actor.
          After gripping the tennis racquet. I am able to hit the tennis ball with physics interaction (meaning the collision channels are set correctly) but when I move my motion controller very fast (like doing a strike) the physics interaction between the racquet and the ball fails to register and the racquet just pass through the ball without doing anything.
          When I move the racquet slow it is able to hit the ball again. I am guess it is the movement being not registered because the racquet was moving so fast.
          Is there any way to solve this problem? Thank you very much in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by akjim View Post
            Hello.
            First of all, great plugin!
            But I am having trouble on the gripping object interacting with physics simulating object.
            In your example project, I have created a Tennis racquet blueprint. It is under the class of grippable static mesh.
            I have also created a tennis ball blueprint as a normal actor.
            After gripping the tennis racquet. I am able to hit the tennis ball with physics interaction (meaning the collision channels are set correctly) but when I move my motion controller very fast (like doing a strike) the physics interaction between the racquet and the ball fails to register and the racquet just pass through the ball without doing anything.
            When I move the racquet slow it is able to hit the ball again. I am guess it is the movement being not registered because the racquet was moving so fast.
            Is there any way to solve this problem? Thank you very much in advance!
            You need to turn on continuous collision detection in the project settings / physics (if it is set to disabled).

Its not a plugin (problem?), its how physx works by default in the engine, CCD is more expensive and without it enabled you will get physics tunneling at high velocities. You can also enable substepping which will step physics movements in discrete intervals and should help with it as well.

If all that fails, then you can manually handle collision, there are a lot of complaints about CCD even after the Kinematic body allowance in 4.14.

*Edit* It also kind of depends on the grip that you are using, I would assume that one of the interactive physics grips would work better here, though it would be harder to remain 1:1 with the motion controller. Also late updates will show visually an offset from where the racquet actually is in the game thread, so you may want to turn off late updates on the racquet.
            Last edited by mordentral; 03-28-2018, 10:39 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi!
              I have disabled "Ignore Simulating Components in Floor Check" so my character can walk on simulated objects.
              When angle between player and simulated component im walking on is higher than VRMovementReference / Walkable floor angle (25 in this test) simulated component behaves like it was weightless. When this angle breaks i was expecting character to slide off of simulated body pushing that body like before.
              Any collision between VRRootReference and simulated component other than walking on it, acts like that (pushing constrained and unconstrained simulated components, while walking and clibming).
              Is there any way i can change this in blueprints?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORNfvlpqdfg
              Last edited by GregFTW; 03-29-2018, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I just got the 4.19 plugin and example working. Everything works fine with the vive, except, I can't push any red buttons. I can slide sliders and teleport/navigate, I can pickup and throw things. But I can't push buttons.

For a test, I set up a trigger box, and moved my controller through it, and nothing triggered.

I did download the latest example demo, and I am able to push all the buttons in the demo just fine (although it crashes on occasion (maybe because of the 4.19 bug?))

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Nacker View Post
                  I just got the 4.19 plugin and example working. Everything works fine with the vive, except, I can't push any red buttons. I can slide sliders and teleport/navigate, I can pickup and throw things. But I can't push buttons.

For a test, I set up a trigger box, and moved my controller through it, and nothing triggered.

I did download the latest example demo, and I am able to push all the buttons in the demo just fine (although it crashes on occasion (maybe because of the 4.19 bug?))

Any thoughts?
                  Mmm, hand sphere overlaps got set to Query only overlaps somehow. I set them back to query and physics collision.

You can download it again, or just change that collision setting on the OverlapSpheres.

Must have happened when I converted to passing in any component for overlap in the template.
                  Last edited by mordentral; 03-29-2018, 11:32 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by GregFTW View Post
                    Hi!
                    I have disabled "Ignore Simulating Components in Floor Check" so my character can walk on simulated objects.
                    When angle between player and simulated component im walking on is higher than VRMovementReference / Walkable floor angle (25 in this test) simulated component behaves like it was weightless. When this angle breaks i was expecting character to slide off of simulated body pushing that body like before.
                    Any collision between VRRootReference and simulated component other than walking on it, acts like that (pushing constrained and unconstrained simulated components, while walking and clibming).
                    Is there any way i can change this in blueprints?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORNfvlpqdfg
                    Are you really sure you want to be able to be slowed by physics objects? It generates a stutter when walking into them that induces near instant motion sickness even in tolerant players.

I can set up a toggle for you to revert to default behavior...but you will have to be very careful with how you use it.

The current behavior is a normally unattainable "fix" for the slowdown / stutter when walking into them....well, outside of a separate collision component that is.

*Edit* I did go ahead and add a toggle boolean though: bAllowSimulatingCollision in the root component / VRRootReference controls the behavior.

I've been adding more options to things like this as the plugin grows to make it more generic. Really early on I made some "best choice" decisions for people that were hard coded in, this was one of the, if not THE last one that I hadn't made optional yet.
                    Last edited by mordentral; 03-30-2018, 12:06 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

having some trouble with the auto step up when climbing. i don't understand what triggers this or how i can change it. the step up is occurring very inconsistently for me.

Resolved: increasing the "player step up height variable solved this for me
                      Last edited by dubako; 04-04-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Are you really sure you want to be able to be slowed by physics objects? It generates a stutter when walking into them that induces near instant motion sickness even in tolerant players.

I can set up a toggle for you to revert to default behavior...but you will have to be very careful with how you use it.

The current behavior is a normally unattainable "fix" for the slowdown / stutter when walking into them....well, outside of a separate collision component that is.

*Edit* I did go ahead and add a toggle boolean though: bAllowSimulatingCollision in the root component / VRRootReference controls the behavior.

I've been adding more options to things like this as the plugin grows to make it more generic. Really early on I made some "best choice" decisions for people that were hard coded in, this was one of the, if not THE last one that I hadn't made optional yet.
                        Yes, i assumed that was a "fix" to bigger problem, you are probably 100% right about that and most of my players will suffer ;P but for those immune to neusia players like me any stuttering is completely fine for longer periods of time, and thats why i would like to test it

best customer support, thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by GregFTW View Post

Yes, i assumed that was a "fix" to bigger problem, you are probably 100% right about that and most of my players will suffer ;P but for those immune to neusia players like me any stuttering is completely fine for longer periods of time, and thats why i would like to test it

best customer support, thank you very much!
                          It may benefit with a more nuanced approach, i'll think about if there is a clean way of separating which ones get pushed and which ones block and maybe roomscale walking only pushing while locomotion blocks.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by dubako View Post
                            having some trouble with the auto step up when climbing. i don't understand what triggers this or how i can change it. the step up is occurring very inconsistently for me.
                            There is a climbing step up height in the movement component, that defines how far down to your feet an edge has to be before it tries and steps up on to it.

You can also optionally turn it off all together and run your own logic if you wish.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed a new commit to the plugin

Code:
                               Finished Lever momentum system  

Now essentially works like a door if you want it to. (Set lerp mode to RetainMomentum)  

Also fixed a bug with ticking, and changed it so that lerping works off of the  
                               full precision of the rotation and not off of the public and (rounded to closest  
                               int) CurrentLeverAngle.  

Includes "LeverMomentumFriction" to set the ramp down on the velocity, and  
                               "LeverMaxMomentum" to limit max speed. Also has "FramesToAverage" which sets  
                               a frame duration that it will RollingLowPassAverage the momentum across, this  
                               lets you avoid the "waggle" effect of quickly gripping and flinging it to maximum  
                               velocity.
                              Example
                              https://i.imgur.com/XG3M8wi.gifv

Last edited by mordentral; 03-30-2018, 11:14 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Added a new use game to the list

Spacescape

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment