VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
    Prior to uploading the last commit I packaged a shipping 32bit build just to be safe and it did fine, so something must be off with your set up.
    Ok, so after staying up way past my bed time and testing... it's still spitting out the same error at me. The error only comes up when I package through the plugin.

I created a new project using the VR Template (actually all the projects I've tried have been through the VR template), put the plugins in the new project directory, compiled, then packaged... same result - none of my blueprints have touched that new project.

At this point... I can only surmise that it's some weird setting in my editor that I can't see (I've set compatibility to Windows only)... or maybe it's a bad interaction with the VR Template?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaptruder View Post
      Ok, so after staying up way past my bed time and testing... it's still spitting out the same error at me. The error only comes up when I package through the plugin.

I created a new project using the VR Template (actually all the projects I've tried have been through the VR template), put the plugins in the new project directory, compiled, then packaged... same result - none of my blueprints have touched that new project.

At this point... I can only surmise that it's some weird setting in my editor that I can't see (I've set compatibility to Windows only)... or maybe it's a bad interaction with the VR Template?
      There isn't a bad interaction with the template i've had both running, I don't know what you have going wrong on your end.

Though you did just say plugins, want to make sure you just have the one, and that your build.cs has it included as packaging out requires that.

*Edit* In fact you said it was actually packaging but wouldn't load the plugin didn't you. That means you skipped one of the install steps, specifically step 2 below which makes sure that the plugin packages out.

How do I install it?
      Clone Or Download Zip and extract this repository to a folder named "VRExpansionPlugin" in your "ProjectName/Plugins" directory, create this directory if it is missing.

Add the VRExpansionPlugin to your projects PublicDependencyModuleNames in the projects build.cs if you have c++ code included.

IF you do not have c++ code, use the Add New button in the editor and add a blank c++ class to your project.

I will offer pre-compiled binaries for all builds as well eventually when the plugin is stable enough for it, but until then installing it in the project instead of the engine is better.
      It should look like this:
      PublicDependencyModuleNames.AddRange(new string[] { "Core", "CoreUObject", "Engine", "VRExpansionPlugin"});
      inside of "ProjectFolder/Source/ProjectName/ProjectName.Build.cs"

All non engine plugins (or plugins from marketplace) need to have this step.
      Last edited by mordentral; 09-30-2016, 03:03 PM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Yep, I did miss that step. And now that I've added it in, I'm even more confused! Apologies!

Basically it won't recompile after the initial compile from adding in the blank C++ class. It says:

Code:
        Warning: RebindPackages not possible for specified packages (or application was compiled in monolithic mode.)
        So then I go into Visual Studio and try to build it from there:

And I get back these error messages:

Code:
        Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State
        Error		Couldn't find module rules file for module 'VRExpansionPlugin'.	VRProject02	C:\Users\Zaptruder\Documents\Unreal Projects\VRProject02\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\EXEC	1	
        Error	MSB3075	The command ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.13\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" VRProject02Editor Win64 Development "C:\Users\Zaptruder\Documents\Unreal Projects\VRProject02\VRProject02.uproject" -waitmutex" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.	VRProject02	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets	37

Comment

Yep, I did miss that step. And now that I've added it in, I'm even more confused! Apologies!

Basically it won't recompile after the initial compile from adding in the blank C++ class. It says:

Code:
          Warning: RebindPackages not possible for specified packages (or application was compiled in monolithic mode.)
          So then I go into Visual Studio and try to build it from there:

And I get back these error messages:

Code:
          Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State
          Error		Couldn't find module rules file for module 'VRExpansionPlugin'.	VRProject02	C:\Users\Zaptruder\Documents\Unreal Projects\VRProject02\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\EXEC	1	
          Error	MSB3075	The command ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.13\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" VRProject02Editor Win64 Development "C:\Users\Zaptruder\Documents\Unreal Projects\VRProject02\VRProject02.uproject" -waitmutex" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.	VRProject02	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets	37
          Run clean command, and then rebuild, it has a module rules file, so unless you have the file structure wrong it should be good.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Run clean command, and then rebuild, it has a module rules file, so unless you have the file structure wrong it should be good.
            I think I have the file structure wrong? Although... I'm not sure what that means.

Code:
            Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State
            MSB3073	The command ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.13\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Clean.bat" VRProject01Editor Win64 Development "C:\Users\Zaptruder\Documents\Unreal Projects\VRProject012\VRProject01.uproject" -waitmutex" exited with code -1.	VRProject01	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets	32	
            	Couldn't find module rules file for module 'VRExpansionPlugin'.	VRProject01	C:\Users\Zaptruder\Documents\Unreal Projects\VRProject012\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\EXEC	1

Comment

Hi Mordentral I'm coming across the weirdest bug with this plugin. So after getting it to work with the Oculus forward renderer I tried to put it in a game I was working on so I created a copy of that game on a external hard drive and then added C++ to my project. As soon as visual studio 2015 started up I shut it down. I don't know if I was meant to do that. When I tried to build the plugin it failed so I deleted that copy of my game and went to the back up. After creating a new back up I then tried to build your plugin, on the back up, that was on the external drive and it worked.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	bug1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1116095

Name:	bug2.JPG
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1116096

So then I copied the version I just built into my C drive Unreal library.

Name:	bug3.JPG
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1116097

But then when I tried to start from there it was asking me to build again. I thought OK thats weird but let me build again.

Name:	Bug4.JPG
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1116098

Name:	Bug5.JPG
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1116099

But then it fails again

Name:	Bug6.JPG
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1116100

I mean wtf, why? Lol this is driving me crazy. Why would it work on one drive but not another?

Comment

Ok its official this plugin is an artificial intelligence program designed to make me go crazy. If I move it from the Unreal library just one folder back into Documents it works.

Name:	Indocs.JPG
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1116104

Name:	InDocs2.JPG
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1116105

Name:	Indocs3.JPG
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1116106

Yet as soon as I move the folder back into the Unreal library library this happens.

Name:	inunreallibrary.JPG
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1116107

The game folder you can see in the Unreal library works with the plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by tcla75 View Post
                  Ok its official this plugin is an artificial intelligence program designed to make me go crazy. If I move it from the Unreal library just one folder back into Documents it works.

Yet as soon as I move the folder back into the Unreal library library this happens.

The game folder you can see in the Unreal library works with the plugin.

How long is the file name in total when it is in that folder that you moved one back out of? Only thing I can think of is that the total path name for it is too large. Shouldn't have a problem otherwise.

You don't want to just close Visual Studio though, its best to build for new engine versions by building through the IDE, I don't package every binary for this plugin as it changes too often and even then a different branch requires a rebuild anyway.
                  Last edited by mordentral; 10-01-2016, 04:34 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I think I have the file structure wrong? Although... I'm not sure what that means.

Code:
                    Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State
                    MSB3073	The command ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.13\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Clean.bat" VRProject01Editor Win64 Development "C:\Users\Zaptruder\Documents\Unreal Projects\VRProject012\VRProject01.uproject" -waitmutex" exited with code -1.	VRProject01	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets	32	
                    	Couldn't find module rules file for module 'VRExpansionPlugin'.	VRProject01	C:\Users\Zaptruder\Documents\Unreal Projects\VRProject012\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\EXEC	1
                    ProjectName/Plugins/VRExpansionPlugin - contents of zip file (Source-Resources-.uplugin in this folder.)

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

How long is the file name in total when it is in that folder that you moved one back out of? Only thing I can think of is that the total path name for it is too large. Shouldn't have a problem otherwise.

You don't want to just close Visual Studio though, its best to build for new engine versions by building through the IDE, I don't package every binary for this plugin as it changes too often and even then a different branch requires a rebuild anyway.
                      Ya that was it. The file length. I changed it from this C:\Users\User\Documents\Unreal Projects\Slider 4.12 - 2 4.12 - 2 4.12 to this C:\Users\User\Documents\Unreal Projects\Slider Q and now it works. Man Unreal Engine 4 has some weird quirks.

Comment

ProjectName/Plugins/VRExpansionPlugin - contents of zip file (Source-Resources-.uplugin in this folder.)
                        Yes! That did the trick. In the end it was a simple problem - but when you have no idea what you're doing, and the error messages look angry, it's all a bit confusing! Thanks a heap Mordentral!

Comment

Hi mortentral you have been a huge help so far and I hate to bother you again but hopefully this is for the last time. In my game when I move up to an object or a wall it pushes it away instead of allowing you to walk through the wall which is great but it seems that the mesh that pushes back is bigger than me so it feels like there is about a foot between me and the wall. How can I change it so that I can reduce the distance my mesh pushes the world back?

Comment

Hi mortentral you have been a huge help so far and I hate to bother you again but hopefully this is for the last time. In my game when I move up to an object or a wall it pushes it away instead of allowing you to walk through the wall which is great but it seems that the mesh that pushes back is bigger than me so it feels like there is about a foot between me and the wall. How can I change it so that I can reduce the distance my mesh pushes the world back?
                            Under VRRootCapsule on the character, set the capsule offset variable to -8 to -25 on the x axis, -8 is about as far as you can take it before the headset clips into the wall a little bit, -18 to -20 is what feels natural to me (capsule is at my actual feet). If you turn off "Hidden In Game" on the capsule you can see where it is and get a feel for the different settings. You just have to decide how much view clipping into walls is acceptable to you (could also detect headset intersection with geometry and darken view).

I tried doing separate collision for around the head area than around the body and it somewhat worked but without actual waist / foot tracking it wasn't stable enough for me to merge.

*Edit* You can also change the capsule size itself to further tweak things.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Under VRRootCapsule on the character, set the capsule offset variable to -8 to -25 on the x axis, -8 is about as far as you can take it before the headset clips into the wall a little bit, -18 to -20 is what feels natural to me (capsule is at my actual feet). If you turn off "Hidden In Game" on the capsule you can see where it is and get a feel for the different settings. You just have to decide how much view clipping into walls is acceptable to you (could also detect headset intersection with geometry and darken view).

I tried doing separate collision for around the head area than around the body and it somewhat worked but without actual waist / foot tracking it wasn't stable enough for me to merge.

*Edit* You can also change the capsule size itself to further tweak things.
                              Thanks. Ya I noticed that when I went above -8. Weird things started happening though if I tried to change the capsule size. Half your body ends up in the floor.

Comment

Thanks. Ya I noticed that when I went above -8. Weird things started happening though if I tried to change the capsule size. Half your body ends up in the floor.
                                Make sure you are setting the floor as your tracking location, the plugin isn't meant to be used with tracking based on eye height. Also I meant the capsule radius, but the height is fine too with room scale tracking set, my test bed resizes the capsule height at 30htz so that players can crawl underneath things.

*Edit* Also capsule size is different variables from capsule offset, I wouldn't really ever touch the Z value of the capsule offset, I left it a full FVector variable in case someone someday found a use for Y and Z offsets.
                                Last edited by mordentral; 10-02-2016, 10:01 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X