VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

That being said, if you aren't actually using them for hands, you can just use them for gripping components instead, there is actually an option to turn off tracking the motion controllers with them (for the FPS character). So you could totally attach "dumb" controllers to the hand mesh and they wouldn't have the tracking additional overhead.

bool bUseWithoutTracking; will ignore the actual motion controllers location and skip all of the tracked device code, basically making it just a component that grips things.
    That one worked ! Thank you very much. Thats actually all I need for now.

Maybe in the future I will check with this "SetGripAdditionTransform" to make it an input somewhere in the GripObject function. Like a Socket Input for Skeletal Mesh hands for example.

If I will get something working I surely will send you another PR.

Kind Regards

Phil

Comment

I don't lock feature requests behind patreon, also like I said it is already there as an example.

Here is a paste of the basic setup that is in the character graph: https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/wbpoa_3w/

You then would likely want to do something like: https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/3gifufai/

To black out vision if they stand up into an object since there isn't vertical pushback, but that is all based on level layout and gameplay choices.

mordentral

I really appreciate your help and I don't mean to be a bother, but I cannot figure out what I need to change or add to the blueprint in order to implement the capsule size change for when I kneel down or crawl. I do not mind having no vertical pushback, I can black them out with PostProsessingVolumes.

Would you please help me figure out the kneeling thing and capsule resize thing? I know you are busy with your own things, but this would really help me out and it's the only thing setting me back. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by AtmaStudios View Post

mordentral

I really appreciate your help and I don't mean to be a bother, but I cannot figure out what I need to change or add to the blueprint in order to implement the capsule size change for when I kneel down or crawl. I do not mind having no vertical pushback, I can black them out with PostProsessingVolumes.

Would you please help me figure out the kneeling thing and capsule resize thing? I know you are busy with your own things, but this would really help me out and it's the only thing setting me back. Thank you.
        You literally just find that section in the character event graph and hook the timer up on begin play......Then it handles itself.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

mordentral

I am so sorry for not understanding that, but so thankful for your help.

Comment

Hi all,

so, this is probably a bit of a noob question, but why is the resolution set to these values in several places in the Steam_VR_Player_Controller blueprint (r.setres 1280x720w in the InitHMD function)? What resolution are we setting here? Not the HMD resolution (the VIVE is 1080x1200 or 2160x1200)?

Thanks
            Warner

Comment

Originally posted by Warner V View Post
              Hi all,

so, this is probably a bit of a noob question, but why is the resolution set to these values in several places in the Steam_VR_Player_Controller blueprint (r.setres 1280x720w in the InitHMD function)? What resolution are we setting here? Not the HMD resolution (the VIVE is 1080x1200 or 2160x1200)?

Thanks
              Warner
              Its the preview window, but I need to go and move that later anyway.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Is there a reason why I cannot trigger OnBegingOverlaps when I walk inside of a Collision Box? Or why my hands (controllers) do not trigger Collision boxes? I have checked to make sure the HeadMesh generates overlaps... collision set to Overlap all Dynamic... CCD.

I have also tried casting to the VR Pawn
                Last edited by AtmaStudios; 11-03-2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Is there a reason why I cannot trigger OnBegingOverlaps when I walk inside of a Collision Box? Or why my hands (controllers) do not trigger Collision boxes? I have checked to make sure the HeadMesh generates overlaps... collision set to Overlap all Dynamic... CCD.

I have also tried casting to the VR Pawn
                  You'll find this in all VR projects for the most part, though it is something that for the capsule I just fixed in a large commit I was working on this past week.

you can work around it with https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...nts/index.html

Sorry for the late reply, have been trying to bang out this new update.
                  Last edited by mordentral; 11-05-2017, 09:50 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I just pushed a beta branch to the plugin that totally overhauls / refactors the VRcharacters movement system and adds a ton of new features. I hope to get some stability testing in soon and show it off and why it is 100% better than the old one.

I want to get it out prior to my wife giving birth so that I don't having it nagging at the back of my mind on my down time.

It solves the majority of issues that have bugged me since this plugin began, it also allows bAllowWalkingOffLedges and correct Capsule overlap start/stop events and correct wall deflection and step ups at the same time.

Once again, the demo project is updated to this new version and is live with all improvements, though it doesn't use some of the new features, it does use the overhauled movement system.

Its likely not noticeable to most of you outside of walking into walls or playing multiplayer so I plan to make a full video going over the differences soon.

I will note, that this is the first time that I have been "happy" with the state of the VRCharacter personally, it always hit a little under the mark I set for it before.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

You'll find this in all VR projects for the most part, though it is something that for the capsule I just fixed in a large commit I was working on this past week.

you can work around it with https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...nts/index.html

Sorry for the late reply, have been trying to bang out this new update.

What about attaching an invisible Cube mesh to the pawn that is set to trigger overlaps? Or to the camera so it follows the player?

I know this worked for the Unreal VR Template.
                      Last edited by AtmaStudios; 11-05-2017, 10:51 PM.

Comment

What about attaching an invisible Cube mesh to the pawn that is set to trigger overlaps? Or to the camera so it follows the player?

I know this worked for the Unreal VR Template.
                        huh? The capsule "triggers" overlaps on trigger volumes and the like just fine. Its the hands that have issues, like all other things, they don't sweep and update their attached components the same way.

The new movement system fixes the capsule "spamming" overlaps in itself, since its not actually moving normally the engine never compares last and current overlapping components and sends start and stops every tick.

Regardless, yes, you should likely have a collider around your head anyway if you intend to use it for things like view darkening or disabled pushback.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I just pushed a beta branch to the plugin that totally overhauls / refactors the VRcharacters movement system and adds a ton of new features. I hope to get some stability testing in soon and show it off and why it is 100% better than the old one.

I want to get it out prior to my wife giving birth so that I don't having it nagging at the back of my mind on my down time.

It solves the majority of issues that have bugged me since this plugin began, it also allows bAllowWalkingOffLedges and correct Capsule overlap start/stop events and correct wall deflection and step ups at the same time.

Once again, the demo project is updated to this new version and is live with all improvements, though it doesn't use some of the new features, it does use the overhauled movement system.

Its likely not noticeable to most of you outside of walking into walls or playing multiplayer so I plan to make a full video going over the differences soon.

I will note, that this is the first time that I have been "happy" with the state of the VRCharacter personally, it always hit a little under the mark I set for it before.
                          I'll try out the new system after work. What should I look out for? What are the biggest changes?
                          We're currently implementing movement and climbing from the plugin into our game and it has been working great
                          But maybe I should wait until the improved movement system is done?

Comment

huh? The capsule "triggers" overlaps on trigger volumes and the like just fine. Its the hands that have issues, like all other things, they don't sweep and update their attached components the same way.

The new movement system fixes the capsule "spamming" overlaps in itself, since its not actually moving normally the engine never compares last and current overlapping components and sends start and stops every tick.

Regardless, yes, you should likely have a collider around your head anyway if you intend to use it for things like view darkening or disabled pushback.

For some reason your original demo 4.18 the capsule wasn't triggering overlaps. I set the head cube mesh to overlap and it worked.

What is the best way to have the hands trigger overlaps? That seems like an important feature. I set the hands to generate overlaps as well, but then I couldn't close the drawers after opening them. I was also climbing the table.

Comment

I'm getting seemingly intermittent crashes after having upgraded a 4.17 project (based on the VRExpTemplate) with 4.18 cl:002602841e01.

When I updated it I just made a copy of the 4.17 project under 4.18. Deleted the Intermediate folder, replaced the old VRExpansionPlugin folder with that of the one from the aforementioned cl. Built it and got no errors.

Tried to launch the proj and got a "couldn't find the VRexpansionPlugin extension" error or something. Deleted the Intermediate folder again, and did a Rebuild instead. This time it worked but now I often (2 out of 3 times playing in PIE) get this error:
                              LogOutputDevice: Error: FMatrix::InverseFast(), trying to invert a NIL matrix, this results in NaNs! Use Inverse() instead.
                              Here's the error w/ the callstack:
                              http://pasteall.org/654637

After upgrading I made these BP changes:
                              - removed the spawn actor for the player character (in the SteamVRcontroller) because I was getting 2 player characters spawning in.
                              - changed the closest secondary/primary grip nodes to closest grip nodes.

I'm likely doing something stupid, but thought I'd post it here just in case. Probably unrelated to the plugin.

I'll try to update to the latest version of the 4.18 and see if that fixes it.
                              Edit:
                              Actually, it looks like I'm on the latest master 4.18. I'll give the new cool character refactor version a go.
                              Edit 2: Nah. The latest character refactor cl didn't magically fix it. Maybe it's just a 4.18 bug or change that's making this happen as it wasn't happening on 4.17.
                              Last edited by kusokuso1; 11-07-2017, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Hi really new here and would appreciate a bit of help. I've got the prebuilt plugins showing up in 4.18. I created an VR basic Pawn ( Vr actor pawn is not showing up ) No controllers are spawning, and I'm 1-2 feet off the ground. I'm building a fitness focused movement system so I've done my share of work, math and analytics on my end I swear, haha. It's the learning curve of the engines that is slowing me down. Any help is appreciated thank you!
                                -Alex

Comment

Working...
                                X