No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi mordentral, we need your help: it seems that upgrading to your last plugin version and upgrading to 4.18, broken vrreplicatedcamera: object parented to that camera do not follow camera 1:1 but have some strange lag.... any ideas?

it could be also tested in your example plugin putting "playernamedisplay" in front of camera and unchecking "owner no see" flag

regards
    Last edited by Curs0; 10-30-2017, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtmaStudios View Post
      Is there a way to dynamically adjust the players capsule size depending on whether the player is sitting or standing?

I imagine I could do something like Event Tick -> Get Player Capsule Size -> Set Capsule Size % (depending on HMD/Camera Location on the Z axis) or something like this?

I am trying to have the character duck under something shorter than the capsule is tall, but if I shrink the capsule, I shrink the player for everything while they are standing. It would be nice to have it change dynamically so the character could crawl and reach for something under a desk without the whole world being shifted or pushed away... Having things push away is a great feature that I would love to keep to block the player from certain things as well.

mordentral

Do you think this would be possible with your template? If so, could you possibly give an example BluePrint? Thank you.
      There is already an example in the main graph for the character, it sets up to a timer at like 30htz and resizes the capsule to the HMD's height.

Search for the words capsule and resize, its not in a function atm, just a node comment box.

I would give a word of warning though, I would generally only use this in single player or at a low htz in multiplayer due to the cost of re-creating the capsule collision on the physics thread. It replicates capsule heights now to support people that want it in multiplayer, but it is still costly.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Curs0 View Post
        hi mordentral, we need your help: it seems that upgrading to your last plugin version and upgrading to 4.18, broken vrreplicatedcamera: object parented to that camera do not follow camera 1:1 but have some strange lag.... any ideas?

it could be also tested in your example plugin putting "playernamedisplay" in front of camera and unchecking "owner no see" flag

regards

I'll look into it, Epic changed late updates to use a new class and it also effected the camera, it may not be picking up attached objects. I don't think I have any cases where I have an attached object on the camera so I likely missed it behaving differently now. I also had to change some things on the motion controllers due to some new and unexpected behaviors that resulted from this new system as well.

Originally posted by Jomax3d View Post

may be... i usually download all the files and start fresh. this time i was trying to update the current project with new plugin version as i couldnt find the 4.18 example project.
        Can you please share the the link to the 4.18 project example ..

regards
        Joshy
        The example project is always kept up to the very latest released version, if you just download the example project itself it will be 4.18.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Curs0 View Post

regards
          I did just find a discrepancy in the latest version, Epic did some last minute changes that I missed. See if the newest version works correctly for you (I can't test in HMD for a bit here).

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

I did just find a discrepancy in the latest version, Epic did some last minute changes that I missed. See if the newest version works correctly for you (I can't test in HMD for a bit here).
            although a very little lag is still present (dunno if it was present even earlier), major issue seems to be fixed
            many thanks

Comment

I'll look into it, Epic changed late updates to use a new class and it also effected the camera, it may not be picking up attached objects. I don't think I have any cases where I have an attached object on the camera so I likely missed it behaving differently now. I also had to change some things on the motion controllers due to some new and unexpected behaviors that resulted from this new system as well.

The example project is always kept up to the very latest released version, if you just download the example project itself it will be 4.18.
              Oh my bad .. let me try again.

i need help in activating particles while the lever is used ir he knob.. and can it be relative to the angle

thanks and regards
              joshy

Comment

Vive_PawnCharacter / SimpleVive_PawnCharacter

VRExpansionPlugin-4-18.zip
                AdvancedSessionsPlugin-4-18.zip
                mordentral-vrexppluginexample-720e38d697dc.zip

Hi mordental,
                First thanks for your plugin.
                I tried in UE4.18 your Game Template which is using the Vive_PawnCharacter and it is working perfect on my setup for standing only.
                I started a clean VR project in 4.18 and loaded your plugin.
                As I don't need all functionalities from the Vive_PawnCharacter I choosed to migrate in my project the SimpleVive_PawnCharacter of your example template.
                In my project the SimpleVive_PawnCharacter is acting differently as the Vive_PawnCharacter :
                When I move my head the blue circle of the SteamVR chaperone is moving also with the head.
                How to avoid that ?
                Thank you for your cooperation.

Comment

Originally posted by JFHTX View Post

VRExpansionPlugin-4-18.zip
                  AdvancedSessionsPlugin-4-18.zip
                  mordentral-vrexppluginexample-720e38d697dc.zip

Hi mordental,
                  First thanks for your plugin.
                  I tried in UE4.18 your Game Template which is using the Vive_PawnCharacter and it is working perfect on my setup for standing only.
                  I started a clean VR project in 4.18 and loaded your plugin.
                  As I don't need all functionalities from the Vive_PawnCharacter I choosed to migrate in my project the SimpleVive_PawnCharacter of your example template.
                  In my project the SimpleVive_PawnCharacter is acting differently as the Vive_PawnCharacter :
                  When I move my head the blue circle of the SteamVR chaperone is moving also with the head.
                  How to avoid that ?
                  Thank you for your cooperation.
                  Do you mean the SteamVRChaperoneComponent that epic created? Because the ACTUAL steamVR chaperone is composited in later and isn't effected by gameplay.

For the simple character the chaperone component isn't going to function visually because the entire character moves when the HMD moves. The OutOfBounds and InBounds functions should still work correctly, but the component itself will follow you with your motions so anything you attach to it won't behave the same.

Its one of the downsides of the simple character being outside of Epics preferred VR workflow. You can still manually place objects around you by offsetting by the HMD location. But in the end it would probably be easier to just use the VRCharacter.

I also think you might be confused by the naming convention in the template, the Vive_PawnCharacter and SimpleVive_PawnCharacter are the same blueprint base, the Simple tag isn't saying that it has less implemented in it, the Simple tag is saying that it uses the SimpleVRCharacter c++ class.

I intend to make a basic barebones character for the template soon so people don't have to remove a bunch of things they don't need, but until then if you just want a basic character you should make a new one and only port over what you want, everyone is going to want something different.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Thanks for the answer. I will go for the VRcharacter.

Comment

Current version of the template demo is now using an experimental branch with a new movement system for the std VRCharacter. If anyone gets the time, I wouldn't mind feedback on if you can notice a difference (you shouldn't). It is far less hacky than the original method and should allow me to do some more neat little features in the future.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5c...ew?usp=sharing

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

There is already an example in the main graph for the character, it sets up to a timer at like 30htz and resizes the capsule to the HMD's height.

Search for the words capsule and resize, its not in a function atm, just a node comment box.

I would give a word of warning though, I would generally only use this in single player or at a low htz in multiplayer due to the cost of re-creating the capsule collision on the physics thread. It replicates capsule heights now to support people that want it in multiplayer, but it is still costly.
                        mordentral

I have been searching and searching for this but I cannot find it anywhere. If I sign up for your Patreon for a year (@ $25), would you possibly set this function up for me? I really think if I can get the ducking part working (so I can crawl under objects without them blocking me) then all the functionality for my game will be ready with the rest of your existing template. Essentially, I just need the player to duck and crawl under a desk and various other objects. However, I want the player to be blocked if they are standing up and simply try to walk through those objects. Your blocking setup is awesome, how the world gets pushed away... but it seems like that static capsule size is what not allowing me to crawl under things.

Ideally the capsule would dynamically adjust to the height of the HMD while still allowing for full use of the hand controllers. Thank you.
                        Last edited by AtmaStudios; 11-01-2017, 01:58 AM.

Comment

This template is fantastic, I'm migrating a project of mine to this at the moment, really happy with this!
                          I have three questions I hope someone can answer.
                          1: The teleportation is not accurate and never has been with this template. I'm not teleported exactly to where I clicked, but about a meter off or something. Sometimes it's hard to reach objects that way if you run out of realworld space. is anyone else experiencing this and is there a fix?
                          2: I teleport through ceilings between floors many times which I don't want and can't seem to stop it with a navmesh-bound or collisions (just like with the Epic VR template btw). Is there a way to fix this once and for all?
                          3: Is the multidirectional lever in the template at the moment? I can't seem to find it. I could really use it right now for helicopter controls.

Here is a screenshot of my project for a customer:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (978).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	1378562

Kind regards!
                          Bewaren

Comment

Originally posted by AtmaStudios View Post

mordentral

I have been searching and searching for this but I cannot find it anywhere. If I sign up for your Patreon for a year (@ $25), would you possibly set this function up for me? I really think if I can get the ducking part working (so I can crawl under objects without them blocking me) then all the functionality for my game will be ready with the rest of your existing template. Essentially, I just need the player to duck and crawl under a desk and various other objects. However, I want the player to be blocked if they are standing up and simply try to walk through those objects. Your blocking setup is awesome, how the world gets pushed away... but it seems like that static capsule size is what not allowing me to crawl under things.

Ideally the capsule would dynamically adjust to the height of the HMD while still allowing for full use of the hand controllers. Thank you.
                            I don't lock feature requests behind patreon, also like I said it is already there as an example.

Here is a paste of the basic setup that is in the character graph: https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/wbpoa_3w/

You then would likely want to do something like: https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/3gifufai/

To black out vision if they stand up into an object since there isn't vertical pushback, but that is all based on level layout and gameplay choices.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi,

I previously sent you the pull request for using the ParentRelAttach at foot location. Well I was continuing with attaching a Skeletal Mesh to it with some IK system.

Now I was looking forward to also use your Grip system with all of its benefits but I am not sure how I can make a GrippableActor to be attached to the Hand of the skeletal mesh and not to the motion controller. When using IK system sometimes the hand is quiet far away from where the motion controller is and it is not a fixed offset over time.

I made a socket on the FullBody skeletal hand for a sphere to check for nearest objects. Then I used SetGripAdditionTransform each tick in the GrippableStaticMesh actor to add offset between the skeletal mesh hand socket and the location of the motion controller.

It was not working as of now, but I am also wondering if there is a better way to do it. Maybe I should change the IK system so the Skeletal Mesh hand is always at the same position of the hand? I was trying to avoid that...

Hope it makes sense what I wrote.
                              Last edited by spaceharry; 11-01-2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceharry View Post
                                Hi,

I previously sent you the pull request for using the ParentRelAttach at foot location. Well I was continuing with attaching a Skeletal Mesh to it with some IK system.

Now I was looking forward to also use your Grip system with all of its benefits but I am not sure how I can make a GrippableActor to be attached to the Hand of the skeletal mesh and not to the motion controller. When using IK system sometimes the hand is quiet far away from where the motion controller is and it is not a fixed offset over time.

I made a socket on the FullBody skeletal hand for a sphere to check for nearest objects. Then I used SetGripAdditionTransform each tick in the GrippableStaticMesh actor to add offset between the skeletal mesh hand socket and the location of the motion controller.

It was not working as of now, but I am also wondering if there is a better way to do it. Maybe I should change the IK system so the Skeletal Mesh hand is always at the same position of the hand? I was trying to avoid that...

Hope it makes sense what I wrote.
                                Its not currently directly supported, mostly because in general the goal of the IK should be to get the hand to the non late updated position in the first place and secondarily because late updates are entirely useless then.

However I have it on my list of things to eventually get around to, being able to set an offset location to track instead that is, it would be useful for some specific features.

That being said, if you aren't actually using them for hands, you can just use them for gripping components instead, there is actually an option to turn off tracking the motion controllers with them (for the FPS character). So you could totally attach "dumb" controllers to the hand mesh and they wouldn't have the tracking additional overhead.

bool bUseWithoutTracking; will ignore the actual motion controllers location and skip all of the tracked device code, basically making it just a component that grips things.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X