VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dealman View Post

Not quite sure either, just tried importing another mesh and it does the exact same thing. 4-5 seconds after gripping it - it disappears. This time I imported a simple weapon mesh and modified the GunBase. Will do some debugging later and see if I can figure out why.

Are there any plans to add support for grippable poseable meshes? I reckon using a poseable would be a convenient way of managing various parts of a rifle(pulling the bolt etc) since you can easily manipulate bones with this component. A bit cleaner than having to use separate meshes.
    You can drive a poseable mesh off of one of the grippable sphere / box / cylinder components, this ends up cleaner as otherwise you are going to be looking for overlap with bones on grip and gripping specific bones on the same mesh. Using these invisible components not only lets you define specific collision sizes for the grip, but also run additional logic easier.

Seperate meshes aren't required, just pulling a % of travel off of the range it is allowed and driving a bone or animation off of it works fine.

Its also difficult to make something generic enough with defining grips on specific bones which may be chained so that it works for all uses, it is far easier this way.

Anything super specific like following a spline can be done with a CustomGrip type anyway (though I think I will be adding a spline follower component soon).

*Edit* Or were you talking about making a custom grippable actor with a poseable mesh base so that it is easier? Because that is a valid point if so since they are only components in engine by default.
    Last edited by mordentral; 09-17-2017, 10:41 AM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

You can drive a poseable mesh off of one of the grippable sphere / box / cylinder components, this ends up cleaner as otherwise you are going to be looking for overlap with bones on grip and gripping specific bones on the same mesh. Using these invisible components not only lets you define specific collision sizes for the grip, but also run additional logic easier.

Seperate meshes aren't required, just pulling a % of travel off of the range it is allowed and driving a bone or animation off of it works fine.

Its also difficult to make something generic enough with defining grips on specific bones which may be chained so that it works for all uses, it is far easier this way.

Anything super specific like following a spline can be done with a CustomGrip type anyway (though I think I will be adding a spline follower component soon).

*Edit* Or were you talking about making a custom grippable actor with a poseable mesh base so that it is easier? Because that is a valid point if so since they are only components in engine by default.
      Aye, that's what I meant but the former should definitely work as well. Will just have to experiment a bit, I'm so used to using poseable meshes as of lately as animating isn't really my thing, whenever I fiddle with animations I break stuff. But simple stuff such as moving a bolt back and forth shouldn't be any issues.

I do like how you've set up the gun, that it eliminates minor erratic movement so you get a smoother experience. A lot of VR games with weapons fail to do this and just forget the fact that you get majority of your stability by pushing the rifle up against your shoulder. Great job!
      Why do all programmers wear glasses? Because they can't C#

Comment

Hi mordental,
        First thanks for you plugin which is a big help to become friend with VR in UE4.
        I am using your VivePawn Character from your Template in my Map and I have a User Widget with a ScrollBox (with horizontal orientation) and I remark that the Laser Pointer can't interact with the scroll bar.
        Do you have any idea why the laser pointer is not working with?
        Thanks for any help.

Comment

Originally posted by JFHTX View Post
          Hi mordental,
          First thanks for you plugin which is a big help to become friend with VR in UE4.
          I am using your VivePawn Character from your Template in my Map and I have a User Widget with a ScrollBox (with horizontal orientation) and I remark that the Laser Pointer can't interact with the scroll bar.
          Thanks for any help.
          Are you in 4.16? Scroll bars were broken in 4.16 and fixed in 4.17

https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-46447

If you are locked to 4.16 you can pull the source of the 4.17 version and use it in 4.16 just fine I believe.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi mordental,
            Thanks for any help.
            I'm working with 4.17.1 and your plugin version 4.17.
            I have the same issue as mentioned above :
            Result: The Scroll box cannot be scrolled by clicking and dragging the scroll bar
            Expected: The scroll box in the widget component would be able to be scrolled by clicking and dragging the scroll bar
            I will do some checking again.

Comment

I'm working with 4.17.1 and your plugin version 4.17.
              I have the same issue as mentioned above :
              Result: The Scroll box cannot be scrolled by clicking and dragging the scroll bar
              Expected: The scroll box in the widget component would be able to be scrolled by clicking and dragging the scroll bar
              I will do some checking again.
              Well the widget interaction component isn't mine, its part of the engine. If there is an interaction bug with it (outside of my implementation), then it should be reported to epic.

Currently it defaults to mouseL held on press and released on release for how it works.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Well the widget interaction component isn't mine, its part of the engine. If there is an interaction bug with it (outside of my implementation), then it should be reported to epic.

Currently it defaults to mouseL held on press and released on release for how it works.
                Thank you, I will check for that.

Comment

Cool plugin.
                  I m playing around with a top down concept with quite a few AI pawns and wondering what the best approach to grip / pick up these pawns that wouldnt affect performance much.
                  From what I see, the standard VR grip requires pickupable objects to stimulate physics but not sure if it is a good idea in this scenario.
                  thank you

Comment

Originally posted by duyth View Post
                    Cool plugin.
                    I m playing around with a top down concept with quite a few AI pawns and wondering what the best approach to grip / pick up these pawns that wouldnt affect performance much.
                    From what I see, the standard VR grip requires pickupable objects to stimulate physics but not sure if it is a good idea in this scenario.
                    thank you
                    There are like (8?) grip types now, only the "interactive with physics" types require simulation, the rest directly move the held object instead and should function fine assuming that you don't run their own movement on themselves during the grip.

Use PhysicsOnly, it just sets their transform every frame to match the desired controller offset.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Good days, sorry my English is very bad, that's why I'll speak in my native language

¿como puedo conseguir la plantilla de ejemplo mas reciente? solo consigo las antiguas.
                      Gracias por adelantado.

Comment

Originally posted by Ezeran View Post
                        Good days, sorry my English is very bad, that's why I'll speak in my native language

¿como puedo conseguir la plantilla de ejemplo mas reciente? solo consigo las antiguas.
                        Gracias por adelantado.
                        Debería poder descargarlo desde

https://bitbucket.org/mordentral/vre...ple/downloads/

Lo siento, pero he utilizado Google Translate para responder

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi Mordentral,

Thank you very much for the plugin. I was using it recently in my project.

For attaching a Skeletal Mesh to the the capsule bottom with the ParentRelAttachVRComponent I allowed myself to add some code into your plugin. I submited the change as a pull request to your bitbucket in case you and others may find it usefull.

Thanks again !

Comment

Originally posted by spaceharry View Post
                            Hi Mordentral,

Thank you very much for the plugin. I was using it recently in my project.

For attaching a Skeletal Mesh to the the capsule bottom with the ParentRelAttachVRComponent I allowed myself to add some code into your plugin. I submited the change as a pull request to your bitbucket in case you and others may find it usefull.

Thanks again !
                            Thanks for the contribution! I had plans to get around to something like that eventually but hadn't done so yet.
                            I'll merge it in and make a few minor changes.

*Edit*
                            You will notice that I adjusted the FeetLocation code to be more simplistic.

We don't actually need the GetActorFeetPosition() function because the VRCharacters base location
                            is actor 0 on Z and the Simple Characters base position is +HalfCapsuleHeight which is accounted
                            for with the VRSceneComponent which adjusts downward by -HalfCapsuleHeight.

So all that is really needed is to set the relative Z location to 0.0f if wanting to use foot position, which is both faster, and cleaner.

However thanks for the core concept, I am sure that plenty of users will appreciate the addition.
                            Last edited by mordentral; 09-19-2017, 01:58 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Ezeran View Post

Gracias por adelantado.
                              Hey, Spanish is my Native language.

----

Spanish Response

Hey!

Pues en la pagina principal tienes 2 vias para conseguirlo.

Tienes las versiones Prebuild. Estas ya vienen compiladas, no necesitas C++ ni nada para hacerlo funcionar. Bajas la versión Prebuild de tu versión, la metes en la carpeta Plugins del proyecto, si no la tienes la creas, y el Zip que te bajas el contenido lo metes tal cual.

Template actualizado, este es bajarlo y ejecutarlo como un Proyecto. es de la Version 4.17

El template de ejemplo de Mordentral ya viene con todo hecho, te bajas el Template y puedes probar todas las funciones, es bajarlo ejecutarlo y listo.

Template Packaged Download

Plugin Version 4.17 Prebuild
                              4.17.1 - 8/16/2017 - Full Binaries and Source Package En el primer Post tienes todo. Ya si quieres la ultisima versión, has de compilarla tu, en el bitbucket tienes un tutorial magnifico para hacerlo.

Un saludo!
                              Viar Warfare - My first VR Game
                              I'm Spanish, sorry about my english, i working on it every day.

Comment

Thanks for the contribution! I had plans to get around to something like that eventually but hadn't done so yet.
                                I'll merge it in and make a few minor changes.
                                Thanks for accepting the pull request . Yes your modification makes sense ! I think I wasnt sure if actor Z 0 is at the bottom of the capsule.

Comment

Working...
                                X