No announcement yet.

How do you actually enable VR in a packaged project? Enabled HMD isn't working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you actually enable VR in a packaged project? Enabled HMD isn't working

VR preview works fine but I'd like to put VR in my actual game now

When I do Enable HMD and get the results, the results are always false.
    Last edited by Pinworm; 05-24-2016, 01:00 AM.

I had to connect "event begin play" with "execute console command" - stereo on in level blueprint.

Comment

Hi!

I have the same issue. Good to know any solution!

sorry for use your post instead of create a new one

bye

Comment

If you are using 4.11 or newer, simply add "-vr" to your command line option.

There is also a .ini file setting iirc.
        Programmer at Klang Games | Ex-CCP (EVE Valkyrie / Sparc) | @SiggiGG
        Check out my procedural mesh examples

Comment

Originally posted by Crayox View Post
          I had to connect "event begin play" with "execute console command" - stereo on in level blueprint.
          Tried this, didn't work :/

Comment

Originally posted by SiggiG View Post
            If you are using 4.11 or newer, simply add "-vr" to your command line option.

There is also a .ini file setting iirc.
            Command line option? Where? How can I do this in-game real-time? (I need it to work for launched game from unreal, not just a packaged project, because this must be changed in real-time. The player accesses options before entering VR)
            Last edited by Pinworm; 05-24-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinworm View Post
              Command line option? Where? How can I do this in-game real-time? (I need it to work for launched game from unreal, not just a packaged project, because this must be changed in real-time. The player accesses options before entering VR)
              Ah, that's different then, I was talking about starting the game straight into VR. To change the mode after you have launched a game, look at the command "stereo on".

Comment

Ah, that's different then, I was talking about starting the game straight into VR. To change the mode after you have launched a game, look at the command "stereo on".
                Ah yeah, unfortunately I've tried this.. using the console commands stereo on, hmd enable, etc, they don't seem to work. At least not 4.12. I'm not sure if it's bugged or it works differently or something.. but I can not get it working at all, even in a new project.

I'll try with 4.11 and see if maybe it's a bug.. bit frustrating since 4.12 is otherwise better for VR. But I suppose that's the problem with test versions.

Edit: The console commands work in VR preview, but not any other mode..
                Last edited by Pinworm; 05-25-2016, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks SiggiG! it works for me because my "game" in entirely in VR. The correct way to do that is creating a .bat file with the game executable and adding -vr? even for commercial games?

Comment

Originally posted by Kanc View Post
                    Thanks SiggiG! it works for me because my "game" in entirely in VR. The correct way to do that is creating a .bat file with the game executable and adding -vr? even for commercial games?
                    Commercial games either have a launcher or are launched through a store like Steam or the Oculus Store. In those cases the games can specify startup parameters.

Comment

Ah yeah, unfortunately I've tried this.. using the console commands stereo on, hmd enable, etc, they don't seem to work. At least not 4.12. I'm not sure if it's bugged or it works differently or something.. but I can not get it working at all, even in a new project.

I'll try with 4.11 and see if maybe it's a bug.. bit frustrating since 4.12 is otherwise better for VR. But I suppose that's the problem with test versions.

Edit: The console commands work in VR preview, but not any other mode..
                      Hmm that is odd, I did try this with 4.12 last week. Are you running the game standalone or trying to do this from a viewport in the editor?

There are some changes to how VR is triggered in 4.12, like the fullscreen command (alt+enter) not triggering VR anymore.

Comment

Hmm that is odd, I did try this with 4.12 last week. Are you running the game standalone or trying to do this from a viewport in the editor?

There are some changes to how VR is triggered in 4.12, like the fullscreen command (alt+enter) not triggering VR anymore.
                        Both.. It doesn't work in any version, stand alone, packaged, etc. The only time the console commands work for me is in VR preview which works perfect fine.

This is pretty frustrating.

Comment

Both.. It doesn't work in any version, stand alone, packaged, etc. The only time the console commands work for me is in VR preview which works perfect fine.

This is pretty frustrating.
                          I got this working (4.11 I think) by putting a 2 second delay node coming off of the "Event Being Play" in my Level Blueprint, followed by the "Enable HMD" node. Without the delay, it seemed like the lightmaps were not loading and everything was dark or not rendered at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanc View Post
                            You don't need to use a .bat file - you can append the launch parameters directly to a Windows shortcut.
                            Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by SuperChester View Post
                              I got this working (4.11 I think) by putting a 2 second delay node coming off of the "Event Being Play" in my Level Blueprint, followed by the "Enable HMD" node. Without the delay, it seemed like the lightmaps were not loading and everything was dark or not rendered at all.
                              Didn't work unfortunately.. still does nothing and returns a value of false.

Comment

Working...
                              X