VR Content Examples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mitchemmc View Post
    Sorry for the delay, caught up with work, I believe I've got a fix, in the door physics section where it decides when to call StopSimulateDoorPhysics you will just need to add a couple more conditions to the or condition.
    It just checks to see if it's over the max or below the min, this is just because if you grabbed the door with enough velocity it wouldn't register that it had hit the end, I also increased the tolerance on the nearly equal conditions
    No problem !

Your fix resolved the problem on my side, normal and mirrored doors now work as intended even with "violent" interaction. Thanks !
    Antoine Guillo, FR
    Virtual Reality Designer
    https://groupe-legendre.com/

Comment

i've been absolutely loving your book since it finally arrived on Tuesday. A mandatory purchase for any UE VR enthusiasts. It works through the many interactions seen in the content examples but has so much more. An analysis of the VR locomotion techniques, tutorials to create projects for the main VR devices (including GearVR), a discussion on how to optimize content for VR and more. Mitch you're going down in history as one of the key figures in the VR Renaissance. Great book!
      Michael Wentworth-Bell
      Espire 1: VR Operative: Espire1.com
      Melbourne, Australia

Comment

Totally agree, mine did not arrive yet, but I purchased the Amazon e-book too, i did not cancelled the physical book because I find it very valuable so having it in both format is very helpful.

I just miss one thing, you cove the GearVR setup, but you did not cover a Cardboard/Daydream setup, and this could be very welcome... maybe an update for the e-version?

Cheers!

Comment

I picked up the e-book version from Amazon. The book is quite comprehensive and is great for anyone starting out in VR, or anyone more experienced and just looking to fill in some knowledge gaps. Definitely worth a read.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Juangea View Post
            Totally agree, mine did not arrive yet, but I purchased the Amazon e-book too, i did not cancelled the physical book because I find it very valuable so having it in both format is very helpful.

I just miss one thing, you cove the GearVR setup, but you did not cover a Cardboard/Daydream setup, and this could be very welcome... maybe an update for the e-version?

Cheers!
            Yeah, I wasn't able to get access to Daydream until the book had pretty much been finalised, hopefully in the next version though

Originally posted by CaliRonin View Post
            I picked up the e-book version from Amazon. The book is quite comprehensive and is great for anyone starting out in VR, or anyone more experienced and just looking to fill in some knowledge gaps. Definitely worth a read.

Thanks!
            Originally posted by michaelwbell View Post
            i've been absolutely loving your book since it finally arrived on Tuesday. A mandatory purchase for any UE VR enthusiasts. It works through the many interactions seen in the content examples but has so much more. An analysis of the VR locomotion techniques, tutorials to create projects for the main VR devices (including GearVR), a discussion on how to optimize content for VR and more. Mitch you're going down in history as one of the key figures in the VR Renaissance. Great book!
            Thanks for the kind words!
            UE4 VR Cookbook
            Mitch's VR Lab tutorial series
            VR Content Examples

Comment

Hey Mitch! First of all i want to thank you for a great book. Second i want to ask you about a problem.

I Could not figure out how to do a drawer or a door so i made them exactly as you did on your VR template to see the formula etc you used.
              It works fine exept when i release them with a high velocity (Aggressive) , then the drawer buggs out completly and the door instantly snaps to max or min Yaw deppending on rotation angle.

The wierd thing is that they both work fine when i move and release them slowly , low velocity.

I have everything set up from your book exept im using a character that can move around with the touchpad instead of a pawn.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

EDIT!! SOLVED!!

Nevermind It was just that the Dragging Boolean in the WorldInteractor component wasnt unchecked

Last edited by TheGreatJourney; 03-06-2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatJourney View Post
                Stuff
                Well, guess there's a new way to stuck these doors !

(I had a similar problem on the previous page, fixed by a few different tweaks from mitch).
                Antoine Guillo, FR
                Virtual Reality Designer
                https://groupe-legendre.com/

Comment

Hey Mitch. I have another, more technical question. I've got some pickup actors modeled after the interactive static mesh actor and I'm using an attach to component node in another blueprint to allow the player to attach the pickup actor to a mesh on this blueprint. With weld physics bodies checked on the attach to compenent node the attachment behavior works perfectly but when I go to pick the object back up, which I want the player to be able to do, the physics seems to be disabled in that the object will track with the motion controller on drag but will not rotate with it and when i let go of the object it hangs in space. Its like the interactor doesn't quite take full control of the object again. Im sure weld physics bodies is part of the issue, unchecking does not produce this problem but it also does not give me acceptable attach behavior. I wonder what can be done to ensure the pickup object cleanly detaches from this parent mesh on pickup. I've included a screen shot of this node if it helps.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	1125089

Comment

Originally posted by myNameIsSoUnique View Post
                    Hey Mitch. I have another, more technical question. I've got some pickup actors modeled after the interactive static mesh actor and I'm using an attach to component node in another blueprint to allow the player to attach the pickup actor to a mesh on this blueprint. With weld physics bodies checked on the attach to compenent node the attachment behavior works perfectly but when I go to pick the object back up, which I want the player to be able to do, the physics seems to be disabled in that the object will track with the motion controller on drag but will not rotate with it and when i let go of the object it hangs in space. Its like the interactor doesn't quite take full control of the object again. Im sure weld physics bodies is part of the issue, unchecking does not produce this problem but it also does not give me acceptable attach behavior. I wonder what can be done to ensure the pickup object cleanly detaches from this parent mesh on pickup. I've included a screen shot of this node if it helps.
                    It's hard to say just by looking at that screen shot, have you had a look at how it works with the Content Examples?
                    I have this object VR_World_Interaction/Blueprints/InteractiveObjects/BP_InteractiveStaticMeshActor that drops and everything and also handles late updates and maintains collision when in the hand (however to do this is blueprints means the code is more complicated than it should be)
                    Another alternative VR_World_Interaction/Blueprints/InteractiveObjects/BP_InteractiveStaticMeshActorConstraint uses UE4's physics constraint to attach the objects this doesn't work with later updates but will maintain collision when held
                    UE4 VR Cookbook
                    VR Content Examples

Comment

Hey Mitch,

I have been reading through your book and had a question about something you didn't cover. I think I have asked this a long time ago but I thought I would again. Regarding your jogging in place logic in the book, how can we handle collision of the artificial movement if the player is not standing directly in the middle of the play space? Basically, since epic has released their vr examples has their been any headway in allowing people playing in roomscale to collide with static meshes without needing to use C++ plugins?

Multiple people have implied that it is possible but I have never actually seen examples of this. Is it possible to do the same thing for the player character collision that you do for held objects (leave simulate physics on but turn linear and angular damping up really high so that a child of the root, but in a different position relative of it, can collide with non-simulating geometry and work as character collision)?

This is the #1 problem I have with UE4's VR implementation and I think it stems from the character movement component being incompatible with roomscale VR.
                      Last edited by OneShotGG; 03-23-2017, 02:02 PM.
                      Heavy Diesel Softworks, LLC - Owner

Comment

Hi Mitch,

I've modified the drawer BP in order to move the object in XY and it's working very nice, but what I would like to add is the possibility to aim towards the object and be able to interact with it from a distance, rathet then using a box collider which is enabled once the sphere is overlapping.

In short I would like to do something very similar to what is the default interaction ( move/ritate/scale ) while using the editor in VR ( build VR in VR ), meaning that I have a kind of ray which allows me to select an item, and as soon as the item is selected the gizmo with the different move/rotate/scale options appear.

Is it something which requires a drastic BP change ( or completely different BP setup for the interactive actors ), or it can be easily added as a second interactivity options without going mental?

Thanks
                        ENTER REALITY

VR Solutions

Contact us for more informations

Comment

Originally posted by OneShotGG View Post
                          Hey Mitch,

I have been reading through your book and had a question about something you didn't cover. I think I have asked this a long time ago but I thought I would again. Regarding your jogging in place logic in the book, how can we handle collision of the artificial movement if the player is not standing directly in the middle of the play space? Basically, since epic has released their vr examples has their been any headway in allowing people playing in roomscale to collide with static meshes without needing to use C++ plugins?

Multiple people have implied that it is possible but I have never actually seen examples of this. Is it possible to do the same thing for the player character collision that you do for held objects (leave simulate physics on but turn linear and angular damping up really high so that a child of the root, but in a different position relative of it, can collide with non-simulating geometry and work as character collision)?

This is the #1 problem I have with UE4's VR implementation and I think it stems from the character movement component being incompatible with roomscale VR.
                          I haven't looked into it yet, sorry, I'll put it on my list so when I get the time I'll see what I can do

Originally posted by Enter Reality View Post
                          Hi Mitch,

I've modified the drawer BP in order to move the object in XY and it's working very nice, but what I would like to add is the possibility to aim towards the object and be able to interact with it from a distance, rathet then using a box collider which is enabled once the sphere is overlapping.

In short I would like to do something very similar to what is the default interaction ( move/ritate/scale ) while using the editor in VR ( build VR in VR ), meaning that I have a kind of ray which allows me to select an item, and as soon as the item is selected the gizmo with the different move/rotate/scale options appear.

Is it something which requires a drastic BP change ( or completely different BP setup for the interactive actors ), or it can be easily added as a second interactivity options without going mental?

Thanks
                          Umm, I do have the trace interaction component in there already but that would mean you had to re-do the drawer
                          So in the world interaction component (BPC_WorldInteractor) you could simply pass the results from a trace into the FindActorToHover method here:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	TraceWorldInteraction.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	1125260

Seeing your use case however I might go and abstract the interaction even further so you can have trace interaction and world interaction with the one example, but that might be in a little bit so the method above will probably be a better option for now
                          UE4 VR Cookbook
                          VR Content Examples

Comment

Ops, sorry Mitch, I worked so much on the World Interaction Map that I completely forgot that there is also the Trace Interaction map

The idea would be to have both options available to interact, but for now we're just trying to see which method is more user friendly and easy to use.

Thanks
                            ENTER REALITY

VR Solutions

Contact us for more informations

Comment

Originally posted by mitchemmc View Post
                              I haven't looked into it yet, sorry, I'll put it on my list so when I get the time I'll see what I can do

I found a possible work around. What I did was spawn a dummy character with a movement component on begin play. When the player presses on the track pad I send that value to the dummy for movement and update the VR player's root relative to the camera position based on that. When walking around roomscale I set the dummy characters position to the camera positon (with some math to get it right). This is kind of a hacky work around but it works really well and doesn't seem to hit performance at all.

The neat thing is that even if you are walking around the room while using traditional movement the dummy character will still be in the right position.
                              Heavy Diesel Softworks, LLC - Owner

Comment

Originally posted by OneShotGG View Post
                                I found a possible work around. What I did was spawn a dummy character with a movement component on begin play. When the player presses on the track pad I send that value to the dummy for movement and update the VR player's root relative to the camera position based on that. When walking around roomscale I set the dummy characters position to the camera positon (with some math to get it right). This is kind of a hacky work around but it works really well and doesn't seem to hit performance at all.

The neat thing is that even if you are walking around the room while using traditional movement the dummy character will still be in the right position.
                                You have to watch how you are moving the "dummy" character though if you intend to handle multiplayer with it. Just adding world offset or moving it outside of the movement component will incur positional errors with the server even if you replicate the movement over.

This is due to the movement playback system that the CharacterMovementComponent uses to handle server authority over client movement and the fact that the played back movements will be out of order with manually replicated ones. You can run totally client authoritative if you wish, but that has its own issues.

You'll also want to handle both movement component movement while moving in the tracked space as well.

However all that being said, that is the approach I suggested to Jonas for him to attempt to handle BP only characters with VR, it should be the most workable solution.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
                                Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X