No announcement yet.

HTC Vive Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I changed it so that the movement goes in the direction of the averaged forward vectors of the two controllers (e.g., get forward vector off each controller, add together then multiply by 0.5). This works really well as you can move the controllers around to change velocity and direction without moving your thumb on the trackpad. It also means you can look in one direction and move in another, decoupled.
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by awollenh View Post
      I resolved this effect by change the following settings in the VR_PlayerCharacter Blueprint: Capsule Half Height and Radius to 5 and 3 (for me). Then i can grab objects from the ground (without hit the ground with the controller).
      I did this and although it moved me closer to the ground I still was hovering above the ground a bit. My floor (and my room bounds floor) was not matching. I went as far as to put it to 0.1 half height and 0.1 radius and my controllers if I set them on the floor are still just a little but above the floor which as you can imagine throws off everything. My feet aren't where I expect them to be.
      Last edited by Osok; 04-25-2016, 10:42 PM.
      Spline-Enabled Fence Pack - "Great pack, huge time-saver, top quality and enough variety to really make the assets unique." -Dark Acre Jack
      Destructible Road Signs - "Seriously awesome. Single blueprint for pretty much all the road signs you'll ever need." -thankstipscom
      Zipline/Teleporter/JumpPad - "This is a very flexible system for any project, and really simple to implement." -lunyBunny
      Wooden Storage Pack - "Very good high quality assets and well worth it." -Deathweave
      Digital Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Osok View Post
        I did this and although it moved me closer to the ground I still was hovering above the ground a bit. My floor (and my room bounds floor) was not matching. I went as far as to put it to 0.1 half height and 0.1 radius and my controllers if I set them on the floor are still just a little but above the floor which as you can imagine throws off everything. My feet aren't where I expect them to be.
        What happen with 0.0 every setting?

Edit: Even on 0.0 the controller hover a bit over the ground. Gonna try some things.

Maybe it's the wrong setting for that "problem".

[MENTION=11208]n00854180t[/MENTION]: I like the movement Idea. I'll give it a try!
        Last edited by Freme; 04-26-2016, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
          Personally I changed it so that the movement goes in the direction of the averaged forward vectors of the two controllers (e.g., get forward vector off each controller, add together then multiply by 0.5). This works really well as you can move the controllers around to change velocity and direction without moving your thumb on the trackpad. It also means you can look in one direction and move in another, decoupled.
          If i'm wrong, correct me. I tried this. But doesn't have this the "problem" that you need both controller in your Run direction to not slow down? I've tried it and this was my effect. Both Controller in one direction = full speed. One Controller to one direction and one to another = slower.

Comment

Originally posted by awollenh View Post
            If i'm wrong, correct me. I tried this. But doesn't have this the "problem" that you need both controller in your Run direction to not slow down? I've tried it and this was my effect. Both Controller in one direction = full speed. One Controller to one direction and one to another = slower.
            Yup - I consider that a feature, personally, though.

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Ah okay. Yep..make sense (for your way).

Good to learn other kind of "walking" systems.

Yesterday i played around with the ground problem. Capsule Half Height and Radius to 0.1 and 0.1. Looking good (0.0 on both settings sets the movement to a kind of floating) but not perfect.

Have someone another idea how we can get the controller closer to the ground?

Comment

I'm quite new to Blueprints and UE4. This template has been very enlightening! Thank you.

With that said, I don't understand how to use PickUpObjectInterface. I see it referenced in the grabbing blueprint, but I don't see it anywhere else.

I would guess that I have to attach that interface to the object I want to pickup and then set a trigger of some sort on the object.

I'm at a loss of where to start, though.

Any advice?

Thanks for your time!

Comment

Great template, thanks! I'm also having the floor is too low issue - if anyone thinks of or tries something that works let us know...

Comment

Awesome! This is really helpful. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasifall View Post
                      "-Optimization Changes: Early Z-pass set to 'Opaque Meshes Only,' Movables in early Z-Pass enabled, Clear Scene set to 'Do Not Clear,' with Vertex Deformation and GBuffer rendertargets disabled"

Could you elaborate on why these settings are optimal? I'm not questioning them, just want to know a little bit more.
                      I second this. Would love to know why these have been added. Performance seems great, would like to know what's going on here. No worries if it'd take too long to explain though.
                      My Gear VR app got through to the Oculus Mobile Jam 2015 finals. Hurray!
                      Check out the latest video and download the installer by visiting:
                      The Curator's Mini-Museum of Natural History - http://imnh.org (Built with UE4)

Comment

One thing I'm running into is that I appear to only be able to get Anti-Alias to work for None or MSAA. FXAA, which is my preference for my project due to sharper overall effect, does not work and just gives me the equivalent of Nonel. I'm testing with the physics map and I've tried changing AA in the Post process volume, then switching this off and instead setting AA to FXAA in Project>Engine>Rendering. Still no dice with FXAA. I can confirm that if I start a blank project 4.11.2 then FXAA works.

Is this something to do with FXAA not being supported with some of the custom settings you've included in the config files. I though FXAA was now supported properly on mobile, but perhaps not and so maybe this is the reason?

If anyone can shed any light on this then I'd be most grateful.
                        My Gear VR app got through to the Oculus Mobile Jam 2015 finals. Hurray!
                        Check out the latest video and download the installer by visiting:
                        The Curator's Mini-Museum of Natural History - http://imnh.org (Built with UE4)

Comment

Thanks for this! Just a quick question: how do I package my game for VR? I made a quick demo and it runs correctly in the editor, but when I package and run it on Windows, it doesn't run in "vr mode".

Also, while packaging, I get a lot of warnings saying that this platform doesn't support instanced rendering (don't remember the exact phrase right now).

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by brunogruber View Post
                            Thanks for this! Just a quick question: how do I package my game for VR? I made a quick demo and it runs correctly in the editor, but when I package and run it on Windows, it doesn't run in "vr mode".

Also, while packaging, I get a lot of warnings saying that this platform doesn't support instanced rendering (don't remember the exact phrase right now).

Cheers!
                            There's a console command you can use, I forget what it is exactly (may be "hmd enable"). You'll want to basically just set up an Execute Console Command node on Begin Play, and give it that command.

Comment

Awesome, thanks! I'll try that

Comment

Can't get this project to load in 4.12.0. Freezes on the loading dialog at 45%

EDIT: Ignore me. Came back to my PC hours later to find it had loaded. Ever since then it loads instantly.
                                Last edited by cherbert; 05-23-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X