Lights disappears when use with htc vive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[VIVE] Lights disappears when use with htc vive

i setup six spotlights around a sphere to light some objects in the sphere, i turn off cast shadow, when i preview VR in the editor, all lights work fine, but after i build the project, and launch from the standalone exe, strange thing happened, all spotlights disappear ! After some research, i finally catch the issue, the key point is cast shadow option, if i turn on the option, all spotlight work good, if i turn off the option, all spotlight gone ! This only happen in the standalone mode not in the editor !

Uh... you should verify that the spotlights are actually not in the scene when its running the standalone game. My suspicion is that the spotlights are there, but the lighting is probably being baked on your build and there are probably too many lights in that region, so they just get turned off during the lighting build process.

Oh, and you should try to run the game without the Vive, just to make sure that it's not a vive specific issue.

Comment

1、setup a spotlight or pointlight and turn off cast shadow
      2、enable hmd mode
      3、compile the project and launch from the standalone game

you can see light effect disappear !

Comment

Originally posted by TG42 View Post
        i setup six spotlights around a sphere to light some objects in the sphere, i turn off cast shadow, when i preview VR in the editor, all lights work fine, but after i build the project, and launch from the standalone exe, strange thing happened, all spotlights disappear ! After some research, i finally catch the issue, the key point is cast shadow option, if i turn on the option, all spotlight work good, if i turn off the option, all spotlight gone ! This only happen in the standalone mode not in the editor !
        Hey TG42,

What Mobility settings are you using for your lights? I tried to get this to happen using both Stationary and Static lighting with both baked and dynamic shadows enabled but my lights never disabled when looking at them with the Vive. Would it be possible for you to upload a small project that has this issuse so I can look into it a little deeper as I have no idea what would be causing this to happen.

Cheers-

Sam Deiter

Comment

Any update on this? We're seeing the same issues. The only light that works in our level is our moveable flashlight. If we launch the same level without Steam VR all lights are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nate1380 View Post
            Any update on this? We're seeing the same issues. The only light that works in our level is our moveable flashlight. If we launch the same level without Steam VR all lights are fine.
            Would it be possible for you to create and upload a repo of this happening using the latest version of UE4 you can get from the launcher? I have tried multiple times time to repo this bug and still have not been able to get it to happen.

Comment

Hi Sam,

I've found the source of the issue. If you disable all shadows on a light it will not render at all on the vive. So, if I uncheck both cast dynamic and static shadows the light will completely disappear in a standalone build. Once I checked my lights to cast dynamic shadows they rendered again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Deiter View Post
                Would it be possible for you to create and upload a repo of this happening using the latest version of UE4 you can get from the launcher? I have tried multiple times time to repo this bug and still have not been able to get it to happen.
                This is happening with the 4.11.2 version of the engine. It is very simple to reproduce. Simply turn off shadow casting for a spotlight and the light will completely disappear in a shipping build of the game. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed extremely quickly and included in a 4.11.3 hotfix. Needing to turn on shadows for every light just to get them to render in the vive is anything but optimal.

Comment

Is this going to be addressed?????

Comment

Originally posted by nate1380 View Post
                    Is this going to be addressed?????
                    I was not able to reproduce this in 4.12.3, can you attach a sample project / can you recreate it in a template? This will be more helpful in trying to figure out whats going on . Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like.
                    Twitter - @TheKRushin

Feel free to ask questions and come learn to be an #UnrealDev

How to report a Bug

Comment

Working...
                    X