HoloLens Invites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HoloLens Invites

HoloLens invites are going out. I wanted to know if Epic plans on supporting it before I buy it. I have a lot of exciting projects I want to work on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HololensInvite.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	1175264
    Crystal Flux a Snowboarding Shooter:https://twitter.com/GadzGamz
    Pinball Template:http://www.pinterest.com/gadzgamz/pinball-template/
    Hot Springs Air Hockey: Hot Springs
    Latest release: Bonsai Golf Coral

I would love to see HoloLens support, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Game Design - Photogrammetry - Programming
    Tutorials · Twitter · Twitch

Comment

I put up a post in 1 of the other sections of the forum too about it. I also got in wave 1 for the kits and would much prefer to be in Unreal than Unity

Comment

The problem is, if you want to be one of the first, you need to know if Unreal will support it now. Because if Unreal will not support it, you need to get into Unity and this will be time consuming.

Comment

Well programming is just programming, if you can do it in 1 language you can do it in another, I would just prefer to be able to do things in Unreal instead of Unity because I prefer working in Unreal and I can prototype things much faster in blueprints than I can doing it in C#. And since most of my work is just prototyping thats all I care about really. All the "blueprint" type plugins for Unity are quite annoying and not great to work with.

Comment

Yea but like in Unreal you will need time to get into the editor and so on. You are right, the game logic will be the same independent of the language you are using.

Comment

I'm fine with code in Unity but I couldn't find my way around the engine at all. Unreal just clicked for me and there is no way I'd go back to Unity for HoloLens.
              Crystal Flux a Snowboarding Shooter:https://twitter.com/GadzGamz
              Pinball Template:http://www.pinterest.com/gadzgamz/pinball-template/
              Hot Springs Air Hockey: Hot Springs
              Latest release: Bonsai Golf Coral

Comment

Congratulations on making it into HoloLens release wave 1, RyanGadz and ZoltanJr!

Microsoft put Epic Games in wave 3.

So, let's assume that Microsoft has us in the doghouse for not supporting their closed-platform UWP initiative. I've mentioned to Phil Spencer a couple times that we'd love to see UE4 HoloLens support, and that Microsoft is free to ship their own UWP and HoloLens support on GitHub, under the Unreal Engine EULA.

No definite response so far. Perhaps Microsoft will enlighten us with their plans at GDC!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
                  Congratulations on making it into HoloLens release wave 1, RyanGadz and ZoltanJr!

So, let's assume that Microsoft has us in the doghouse for not supporting their closed-platform UWP initiative. I've mentioned to Phil Spencer a couple times that we'd love to see UE4 HoloLens support, and that Microsoft is free to ship their own UWP and HoloLens support on GitHub, under the Unreal Engine EULA.

No definite response so far. Perhaps Microsoft will enlighten us with their plans at GDC!
                  Sounds like a good time to pull the "Do you know who I am?" on Microsoft
                  Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
                  Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
                  Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

Comment

I got into wave 2! I really hope we can get some Hololens support in UE4. I'd much rather use that than Unity. At my job, we might be starting a big VR/AR initiative with a major client and I'd rather use UE4 but the lack of Google Cardboard support forces us to use Unity instead for VR work. Hopefully Hololens doesn't fall into that like Cardboard did. Thanks for all the hard work guys!

(Sorry if I double posted.)

Comment

[MENTION=35]Tim Sweeney[/MENTION] Thanks for your openness!

Why do they need to push Unity so hard? Are they going to buy it up? Or do they want to push Visual Studio, because it's so closely linked to Unity? I hope they will bring their UWP together with HoloLens support into UE4 at some point. I definitely won't go back to Unity.

Comment

I will be getting 2 of them Tim, I would be happy to give my second to Epic if it helps us get Unreal in there faster!

Comment

I don't really understand why Microsoft is dragging their heels with adding UWP to Unreal. Fable Legends is built in UE4. The next Gears of War will be built in UE4. Microsoft is obviously going to make them both available on Windows 10 / UWP so what are they waiting for? If PC gaming is so important to them (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/0...ox-on-pc-push/) then they should make adding UWP to UE4 a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoltanJr View Post
                            I will be getting 2 of them Tim, I would be happy to give my second to Epic if it helps us get Unreal in there faster!
                            Good man
                            Marketplace Assets

Advanced Mobile Input: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Easy Input Remapping: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
                            Multiplayer Blueprint Chat System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Closing Credits System: Marketplace Page | Support Thread
                            Minesweeper Template: Marketplace Page | Support Thread ――― Maze Creator: Marketplace Page | Support Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ZoltanJr View Post
                              Hey Guys, just found this thread! Very excited to be jumping in and have gotten in Wave 1. I also only need 1 of the 2 Tim and I'm definitely more than glad to give the second one to Epic if you want it as well. I'm still awaiting the purchase email from Microsoft but let me know if I can help out too!

EDIT: As much as I'd love to do this, its a big no no in the Terms Of Use and its possible I'd need it for Multiplayer Testing down the line. Really hope BUILD releases some good information to make UWP a more viable and open platform for development and more promising for a future UE4 implementation. Best of luck Tim and it was great to at least hear your follow up responses with Phil on Twitter. I too want Windows to stay open and hope that Win32, even if supported by UWP by some other method, hopefully will not do so by limiting what Win32 is capable of ATM. Take Care!
                              Last edited by MC Stryker; 03-09-2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X