No announcement yet.

Unreal Editor in VR - Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw the announcement from Leap Motion regarding their new Orion hand tracking system. Looks so much more accurate and smooth compared to their old system. I wonder if they've achieved enough precision to be useful in Unreal's VR editor as an optional input source. Ultimately, I'd rather use my hands to build in VR as long as its not a frustrating experience. I'm also impressed by their use of 'Audio Haptics' in there interaction engine, to help supply the brain with better feedback. Do you currently use some kind of audio feedback in UE4's VR editor?

Really like the demo 'Blocks' that they made:

https://youtu.be/rnlCGw-0R8g

New vs Old system comparison:

https://youtu.be/7HnfG0a6Gfg

Comment

Originally posted by JasonW View Post
      I just saw the announcement from Leap Motion regarding their new Orion hand tracking system. Looks so much more accurate and smooth compared to their old system. I wonder if they've achieved enough precision to be useful in Unreal's VR editor as an optional input source. Ultimately, I'd rather use my hands to build in VR as long as its not a frustrating experience.
      I saw the videos today and I really liked it. We are focussing on the Vive and Oculus and I cannot guarantee what we will support in the future. But it's definitely something to keep in mind.

I'm also impressed by their use of 'Audio Haptics' in there interaction engine, to help supply the brain with better feedback. Do you currently use some kind of audio feedback in UE4's VR editor?
      We are using sounds for feedback, but we want to have more. Personally I am not sure if devs will want sound, because standing in the office with no vision and no ability to hear makes me feel weird (But that's my personal view).
      The controllers allow us to do vibrating haptic feedback, so that is really good. For example, we use that currently for when you hover over a gizmo handle.

Comment

I have some suggestions

1 - Semi-VR compatibility?

There are a lot of VR's on the market and everybody knows that so why not make a thing that in theory you can set your VR if it does not have yet full support? That would be cool!

2 - Compatibility with cardboard VR and motion controls and
        3 - MultiVR compatibility

I think using a google cardboard and a razer hydra at the same time would be a veyr cool thing to do since some people don't have all that money, or even maybe do in some way that you can use keyboard while using google cardboard!

One thing for certainly I would like is use that room scale feature of vive so can multiple people get in action, maybe one guy with cardboard VR can simulate something and etc. I would still prefer that I can use more than 1 VR headset at time tough

Comment

Originally posted by SecretComing View Post
          I have some suggestions

1 - Semi-VR compatibility?

There are a lot of VR's on the market and everybody knows that so why not make a thing that in theory you can set your VR if it does not have yet full support? That would be cool!

2 - Compatibility with cardboard VR and motion controls and
          You are right, there are a lot of different HMDs around. I will soon post a survey to ask about which HMD you would prefer to use for VR Editor.

3 - MultiVR compatibility
          I assume you know about my plugin (MultiEdit), because you asked me for this. Epic doesn't support that plugin. The feature you describe is pretty hard to achieve, so if I were you I wouldn't expect it.

I think using a google cardboard and a razer hydra at the same time would be a veyr cool thing to do since some people don't have all that money, or even maybe do in some way that you can use keyboard while using google cardboard!
          I don't know if we are going to support the hydra, since you can't really buy them. Our first priorities are the Vive and Oculus, because of their motion controllers and they are supported really well in UE4.

One thing for certainly I would like is use that room scale feature of vive so can multiple people get in action, maybe one guy with cardboard VR can simulate something and etc. I would still prefer that I can use more than 1 VR headset at time tough
          I think that kind of resembles to your question and my answer above? I do think a spectate feature would be awesome! If you are talking about running the VR editor twice or more on one machine, that wouldn't be do able.

Comment

Originally posted by YannickLange View Post
            I saw the videos today and I really liked it. We are focussing on the Vive and Oculus and I cannot guarantee what we will support in the future. But it's definitely something to keep in mind.

We are using sounds for feedback, but we want to have more. Personally I am not sure if devs will want sound, because standing in the office with no vision and no ability to hear makes me feel weird (But that's my personal view).
            The controllers allow us to do vibrating haptic feedback, so that is really good. For example, we use that currently for when you hover over a gizmo handle.
            I've been playing with the new Leap Motion Orion release for a week. It really does a great job of low-latency UI interaction. I suggest, since it does support Oculus, that you give it a try with the VR editor and see what you can do with it. After all, Oculus Touch isn't going to be available until 2nd half of 2016. A LOT of new Oculus Rift owners might buy the Leap Motion (like I just did), so they can have a way to interact beyond the gamepads.

Frank Taylor, Raleigh, NC

Comment

I would like a way of creating BSP geometry in VR, I can then use this to export as a mesh and create detailed correctly-scaled buildings and it would be a godsend. I would also like a way to use a traditional mouse and keyboard inside VR in-place of the motion controllers

Comment

I Agree, tracking a real physical mouse and keyboard 1:1 to a virtual representation of a mouse and keyboard in VR using lighthouse would be great, so that a user could really be productive with traditional 2D interfaces in VR, such as complex parts of the editor like blueprints. Why do everything with touch controllers? You could simply choose the best input device for any particular task. Tracking a physical keyboard, means that you could see and pick it up and move it around, but know precisely where to peck the keys. With a flat looking representation of a BluePrint graph hovering in front of you, you could reach for the mouse and have precision control over nodes and their connections.

Comment

My humble request would be for mobile VR Editor support!

+1

Comment

Hello everyone, I hoped you all watched the GDC livestream. I made a survey for the VR Editor to get a better grasp of who is interested in the VR Editor, which hardware you want to use, and what you would like to see in the future.

You can find the survey here

Thanks in advance for taking the survey and have a nice day!

Comment

Originally posted by YannickLange View Post
                      Hello everyone, I hoped you all watched the GDC livestream. I made a survey for the VR Editor to get a better grasp of who is interested in the VR Editor, which hardware you want to use, and what you would like to see in the future.

You can find the survey here

Thanks in advance for taking the survey and have a nice day!

When can we beta test the VR Editor?

Comment

Originally posted by yomer View Post
                        When can we beta test the VR Editor?
                        It should be on Github now.
                        I'm @londonisunreal, the organiser of the London Unreal Engine Meetup group.

Comment

Am very excited about the new developments with the VR editor. Great presentation at GDC. Things I like the most:

1. The virtual workspace being able to position the editor windows around the scene. (Not sure how the material or blueprint editor can be used in VR, except for reference)

2. Love the colored laser pointers that I assume change color depending on which buttons are being pressed. Brilliant!

I can't wait to test it out! Thanks for all the hard work and putting it in our hands early!

Comment

Am very excited about the new developments with the VR editor. Great presentation at GDC. Things I like the most:

1. The virtual workspace being able to position the editor windows around the scene. (Not sure how the material or blueprint editor can be used in VR, except for reference)

2. Love the colored laser pointers that I assume change color depending on which buttons are being pressed. Brilliant!

I can't wait to test it out! Thanks for all the hard work and putting it in our hands early!
                            Thank you sir! Yeah colors change depending on your "state" red (orange in the demo map because of post processing) is the default state. Green when moving an object. When you are moving the world you get a yellow laser (this is also to indicate teleporting). And you get a blue scale indicator between your hands when rotating/scaling the world (it's like a 3D progressbar). It's is still in really early stages, but giving everyone access to try and give feedback is really important to us

Comment

Hi Yannick!

I have a feature request which is kinda important in my case for my workstation setup.

I use Virtual desktop (http://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/) and have it setup as I would like to use the desktop for regular desktop work with the Vive.
                              BUT after starting the UE editor it takes over or "allocates" the VR from virtual desktop from start, even though UE doesn't actually use it from the beginning. UE only uses the Vive when you press the "edit in vr" button or "play in vr" and when you press esc to exit it doesn't release the Vive but instead show the last framebuffer in a locked state in space (which is useless allocation). It's only when you quit UE that the Virtual Desktop gets back the control over Vive.

What I wish for is that the editor ONLY allocates and takes control of the vive when the "edit in vr" button is pressed and as soon as the user goes back to desktop by pressing esc UE should release the control over the Vive and let the virtual desktop get back the control. Same for the "play in vr".
                              Then I can use the Vive as a virtual workstation AND go into VR editor and also play in VR without ever need to take off the vive or rather not need to go back and forward between regular physical monitors and the Vive.

Lets keep it all virtual

edit: should I have posted this in the official megathread or in a new one instead of here?
                              Last edited by HappyPie_PewPew; 05-14-2016, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X