Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have there been any updates that let the VR editor compatible with the new valve index and knuckles controllers? I received mine just last week but when I loaded up the VR editor I see the HTC wands instead and none of the buttons work. Or is there some kind of setting change I can do to make it work with the valve index?

Comment

Hello!

first I want to thank you for bringing in-editor VR to UE4, its something I have dreamed of since using UE4 the first time with my DK1!

And of course I have a few questions:

1. Would this in theory work with the Razer Hydras?

2. Will this work in the viewport of the BP Editor too?

3. What about performance when loading assets and stuff like this, does it just hang or will it switch to black during loading?

4. Any chance we get the BP editor node graph in VR (like in the Pixar movie Wreck-it-Ralph)?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow.Storm View Post
        Hey there - I'm sorry it's been awhile since we've posted here. While you may not always see comments here, it certainly doesn't mean we don't care about the project or supporting our users; I've actually been working on a number of features for VR Mode (more on this below).

When having project issues, it may be helpful to post to our AnswerHub or if you think there may be a bug, to report it using the bug submission form: https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/.

To address the items you've listed...

The fog and grid are likely two different issues - you can actually turn off the fog in Editor Preferences > VR Mode > Show World Movement Post Process. It is a feature to help with VR sickness while moving, and it shouldn't be causing a ton of bloom, but you can try that setting and see if that helps.

There are two grids, there is one when you move that can also be toggled off in Editor Preferences > VR Mode > ShowWorldMovementGrid. Again, it's a VR sickness prevention mechanism.

I would be interested in seeing a sample project to repro the bloom/glow you are seeing, especially if turning off those two settings causes it to go away, so please use the bug submission form I linked above.

The other grid is the snap grid. Snapping in VR mode inherits whatever snapping is set in desktop mode, but you can also adjust it under Snapping in the radial menu. If snapping is on at all, there will be a grid, but it sounds like you're not interested in snapping when placing overall in VR mode, so you can turn snapping off as well. Also, have you tried Smart Snapping? We added it in 4.16 - it uses the bounds of your object to align to other actors in the scene, enabling you to exactly fit them together without needing to build modular assets with a grid in mind. You can enable this under the Snapping section of the radial menu as well.

Marquee select is something we've discussed doing, for now our method of multi-select is to hold down the option button and select. It is something that we are considering though, so thank you for the feedback about how important it is to your workflow.

The documentation (https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Engine/Editor/VR) has been updated to cover the changes to VR mode, so keep an eye out there and in the release notes for changes.
        Direct grabbing is still something we'd like to implement, although I don't have a timeline I can share on that yet. Upcoming improvements include being able to dock the VR UI in the world, being able to create multiple camera previews, and exposing more settings for you to customize the VR mode experience. There are a lot of different editor features we are working on within the editor team, so there may not be updates in every version, but it is still part of our roadmap. You can also check out our videos featuring VR mode tools and explaining the VR mode dev process:Thank you, and I hope that starts to address some of the questions/concerns brought up in the thread recently.
        Thanks for the great work. Looking forward to more of these updates making their way onto a release.

On customising the vr editor experience - is this possible and if so what is the best way of approaching this? Can for example the vr editor pawn be extended (eg as a child blueprint) or do you have to dive deeper into the code? Would particularly be interested in how event based functionality and some runtime logic could be integrated.
        David Gillespie
        Associate
        Foster + Partners

Comment

Originally posted by Dark-Veil View Post

The main reason we didn't show BSPs is that they rely on viewport hit proxies for interaction, which we don't yet support in VR. Remember, a hit proxy map rendered from the perspective of your eyes is not really useful in VR when you are interacting using your hands or lasers. In VR you can reach right underneath something to grab an object that is occluded, or you can aim behind where you're looking to select with your laser. This means you'd need dual hit proxies for either hand. Currently this is too expensive to render in VR without massive throttling. So for now we're casting rays into the scene to hit objects. Rays work pretty well for solids, but not so much for wires or sprites. We're still working on solutions for this.

In any case, worldbuilding in VR is a top priority for us -- we'll have some cool stuff to show at some point.
          It's been 5 years since this comment and I've been messing with the VR Editor the past week. As far as I can tell, still no BSP. Not being able to do subtractive while blocking out levels in VR is pretty frustrating. Like working with Lego blocks instead of a futuristic editing tool.

Comment

Originally posted by romeopopo1987 View Post
            Hello!

first I want to thank you for bringing in-editor VR to UE4, its something I have dreamed of since using UE4 the first time with my DK1!

And of course I have a few questions:

1. Would this in theory work with the Razer Hydras?

2. Will this work in the viewport of the BP Editor too?

3. What about performance when loading assets and stuff like this, does it just hang or will it switch to black during loading?

4. Any chance we get the BP editor node graph in VR (like in the Pixar movie Wreck-it-Ralph)?

Thanks in advance.
            1) Hello, Yes, in fact there is a specific Razer Hydra driver for UE4:
            https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...r-hydra-plugin I would experiment with having the SteamVR plug loaded too!

2) Yes, It does 'mirror' to the viewport in Oculus and SteamVR (and both come with free utilities to mirror with more control)

3) takes about the same time as loading to normal editor, assuming shaders are calc'd...

4) You mean can one edit BP's in VR, Not like I think you want, (yet...) but yes, there are pretty much ALL the windows , World Outliner, Details EVEN 'MODES' LIKE LANDSCAPE SCULPTING!!!

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE STANDING IN THE RAIN AND LIGHTNING CARVING TALL MOUNTAINS OR ERODING WITH A POINTED FINGER, TREES AND GRASS GROWING BACK INSTANTLY AS SOON AS YOU UNCLICK!!! (IF USING EXPERIMENTAL PROCEDURAL ECOSYSTEMS ETC...)

You can even run Simulation mode, throw a bunch of rocks so they land naturally,. then hit a key ('K' I think, or SAve Objects in the VR Mode Menu.) to SAVE their position back in NON Simulation (in the Level). I have the Valve Index but so far my Oculus Rift CV1 is the best HMD for working in VR Mode... One can open the built-in dashboard, pull a Youtube or Netflix window into your world, and then watch TV IN VR while you build your world with both hands!!! (There are multiple 'Dashboard' options for SteamVR too,.)

There is now an *Unreal VR Mode SubReddit! r/UE4VRMode

https://www.reddit.com/r/UE4VRMode/

Comment

Originally posted by zonza View Post
              Have there been any updates that let the VR editor compatible with the new valve index and knuckles controllers? I received mine just last week but when I loaded up the VR editor I see the HTC wands instead and none of the buttons work. Or is there some kind of setting change I can do to make it work with the valve index?

Hello,.
              I would make sure that your project has all VR Plugins turned off except the Steam VR Plugin. The Steam VR Plugin for 4.23 (and probably 4.22, Maybe 4.21 etc) should have been updated with the new Steam VR Skeletal Control System that includes the inter-operability of the INDEX Controllers... I have an Index but not the controllers, (and I prefer to work in VR Mode in my CV1.. then Play in my Index

There is now an Unreal VR Mode SubReddit!
              r/UE4VRMode

https://www.reddit.com/r/UE4VRMode/

Comment

Working...
              X