This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hamsterPL View Post
    Future is near! It looks really cool, very high tech and Minority Report like :>
    Thank you!

Although I can't imagine making whole game waving my arms, it would be very tiresome. But if someone making enviroment or game for VR it's amazing.
    Just think of how much better physical shape we'll all be in! j/k. You'll find it is also comfortable to work seated and simply move and the world around to get to everything quickly, you don't really have to be waving or running around unless you want to.

1 New gizmo with bounds scale - will this be avalible in normal desktop editor? Espiecially bounds (stretch) scaling. That would be very usefull.
    We want to unify the gizmos but we aren't sure when. It's not the right time yet, as we expect to be making a ton of changes to the VR gizmos as we learn about what works best for users.

2 On stream you showed asset browser UI. Is it possible to make own 3D UI (like that asset browser) with UMG and use it in VR mode?
    Yes -- it should be easy to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Crow87 View Post
      I didn't notice anything being said about it in the stream, but does this mean we can finally get some proper interaction with 3D widgets? This'd be especially useful, even in non-VR space.
      I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but we are making improvements to WidgetComponent to allow for some of the new interactions in VR. Some of the recent improvements (such as proper support for antialiasing of masked widgets) have already been merged into the main branch I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by getnamo View Post
        I might be able to help with that whenever you guys are ready to share. That said if you're using motion controllers + input mapping from motion controllers it should work without code changes. The only thing you would need to do is to calibrate the hydra base origin, which can either be the parent actor position to both motion controllers or a call to Calibrate in the hydras while maintaining a T-pose.
        Any devices that work with UE4's Motion Controller Component should work, as long as you map the buttons and setup the controller artwork. However we currently are expecting an HMD to be used at the same time. We'll work on that being a separable feature later.

1. How does the editor handle VR transitions from other experience e.g. Virtual Desktop? Does it properly relinquish rendering to the latest like all other programs do so far?
        Good question. I haven't really tried that yet so probably someone on our VR team would know more, as I'm sure it behaves similarly to any other UE4 game in regards to the transition.

2. How is fine level manipulation of 3d objects handled in general?
        You can quickly zoom the world up to make as fine grain transformations as you would like, or you can use the various snapping assets to help. We're planning on adding some really cool snapping features in the future, but we actually already have a "fancy" VR grid snap that is quite useful.

3. Lightmass baking, does it impact VR judder?
        There is some initially, but we'll be working on it. Still very early.

4. Can we edit shaders in VR?
        We're planning to allow you to use virtually the entire editor while in VR, with a few exceptions. So yes, that includes the material editor. Initially, some features will be unavailable, but we'll get to parity over time.

5. Longer term: Would love to see finger-level interaction instead of button presses, hopefully through some sort of unified architecture
        Definitely, me too! We've been experimenting with using LEAP controls for certain interactions. I think we'll get back to that again eventually.

1. You guys should involve Opamp77, he was working on making VR editing a reality before your reveal and is awesome in general.
        Yes -- we've been watching his awesome work of course, and already have been in contact with him.
        Last edited by Dark-Veil; 02-05-2016, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I'd love to see another movement mode where you use the hand controls to point in a direction, and then can use the pad to fly forward or back (no X-axis bound, turning handled by IRL turning). Some games have implemented this and it seems to work even for people prone to sim sickness.

Also it feels like being Superman, so there's that.

A swipe style soft-keyboard that uses the touch pads or analog sticks would be really nice too, mainly for doing stuff like using BP context menu.

I'd also like to see a feature where we can enable physics on an object during VR-edit-time and use the motion controls to move it around, for natural placement. Not sure if that's really feasible though.
          Last edited by n00854180t; 02-05-2016, 03:43 PM.
          Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
            I'd love to see another movement mode where you use the hand controls to point in a direction, and then can use the pad to fly forward or back (no X-axis bound, turning handled by IRL turning). Some games have implemented this and it seems to work even for people prone to sim sickness.
            Already implemented! (sort of). You can grip the world, and your laser changes color and shape to indicate that you can "teleport". When you pull the trigger you'll quickly zoom forward. We showed this during the Twitch stream. You can't go backwards yet -- we didn't expect that to be useful. We'll try it out, or maybe even the manual control like you suggested. Thank you.

A swipe style soft-keyboard that uses the touch pads or analog sticks would be really nice too, mainly for doing stuff like using BP context menu.
            Definitely.

I'd also like to see a feature where we can enable physics on an object during VR-edit-time and use the motion controls to move it around, for natural placement. Not sure if that's really feasible though.
            We're working on "Simulate" support (whole world toggle), but selective simulation is a bit more tricky, as you might know. While in Simulate, you can of course naturally interact with physical objects, including throwing them around.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fricker View Post
              Definitely.

This is what I was thinking of, but didn't have the gif on hand.

We're working on "Simulate" support (whole world toggle), but selective simulation is a bit more tricky, as you might know. While in Simulate, you can of course naturally interact with physical objects, including throwing them around.
              I figured as much (would probably require having "on demand" PhysX simulation Scenes separate from the main one or something). A whole-world Simulate would be plenty good enough for my taste, though
              Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

This is what I was thinking of, but didn't have the gif on hand.
                We are thinking about something similar, still have to test it in VR and the implementation should also be usable for other controllers

Comment

Hey Mike, thanks for sharing this it looks amazing.

Can you share the specs of the computer you used for the demo?

Thanks!
                  ProBoon, Old-School FPS, Open Source & Tutorials
                  Support Project Boon on Patreon

On Steam Soon, Click Below

Comment

Originally posted by masterneme View Post
                    Hey Mike, thanks for sharing this it looks amazing.

Can you share the specs of the computer you used for the demo?

Thanks!
                    Oh thank you!

It is just my regular development PC that I dragged over to our Twitch streaming room. It's a 6-core Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz (almost 2 years old) with a single NVIDIA GTX 980, hyperthreading enabled.

As with anything VR-related, your performance depends heavily on the content. In our demo level we used assets from the new Unreal Tournament mixed with objects from the freely available Infinity Blade content pack on the marketplace. We just sort of scrounged up cool stuff that anyone has access to. Almost all rendering features were enabled except for motion blur (looks bad in VR) and image-based lens flares. We had some performance to spare so we left screen-space reflections turned on.

Comment

Thanks, good to know.

I'm actually kind of scared of this because it looks so fun I might transform into the ultimate workaholic using it
                      ProBoon, Old-School FPS, Open Source & Tutorials
                      Support Project Boon on Patreon

On Steam Soon, Click Below

Comment

Any progress on the VR Template front?

Had an idea for blueprinting which would be fairly interesting.. make it a multi-dimensional cube with 3D objects. Each node would be a box with spline-based cylinders connecting. You could then rotate the entire area so that you have even more room to work with. Hard to explain it. If you want more info or an idea of what I'm thinking, I could make a quick 3ds max / ue4 scene to demo the design idea

The other questions I had in the event thread still apply, and could be used in conjunction with a virtual keyboard: Voice input.
                        WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
                        World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
                        WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

Comment

Will BSP brushes work?
                          I was surprised you didn't show anything about them.
                          This would be the ultimate tool for architects.

Comment

Hello!

I am new to unreal and VR. I currently working my way thought all of it as I am working on possible VR Project. I was amazed by seeing the editor in VR space!

The first thing that came to mind was having a HUD with all the relevant information you could need, Poly-count, render time for view, numbers of objects and so on and so on.. I think that would be a valuable tool to have.

I am so excited to get my hand on the editor in VR space. Epic Work people!
                            JAEGER JENSEN

VR STORYTELLER & CREATIVE DIRECTOR
                            www.jaegerjensen.com / LinkedIn / Twitter / instagram

Comment

Originally posted by SaviorNT View Post
                              Any progress on the VR Template front?
                              I think the VR team at Epic still very much wants to create one. I'm not sure about when they'll get to it.

Originally posted by SaviorNT View Post
                              Had an idea for blueprinting which would be fairly interesting.. make it a multi-dimensional cube with 3D objects. Each node would be a box with spline-based cylinders connecting. You could then rotate the entire area so that you have even more room to work with. Hard to explain it. If you want more info or an idea of what I'm thinking, I could make a quick 3ds max / ue4 scene to demo the design idea
                              Sounds really cool. I think I need to see a picture though.

Comment

Originally posted by Irigoyen View Post
                                Will BSP brushes work?
                                The main reason we didn't show BSPs is that they rely on viewport hit proxies for interaction, which we don't yet support in VR. Remember, a hit proxy map rendered from the perspective of your eyes is not really useful in VR when you are interacting using your hands or lasers. In VR you can reach right underneath something to grab an object that is occluded, or you can aim behind where you're looking to select with your laser. This means you'd need dual hit proxies for either hand. Currently this is too expensive to render in VR without massive throttling. So for now we're casting rays into the scene to hit objects. Rays work pretty well for solids, but not so much for wires or sprites. We're still working on solutions for this.

In any case, worldbuilding in VR is a top priority for us -- we'll have some cool stuff to show at some point.

Comment

Working...
                                X