Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering... does VR Editor support Microsoft Mixed Reality Headsets already? Has anyone used a mixed reality headset working within UE4? How does it compare to say working in VR Editor with the rift (if vr editor does support already)

Thanks

Comment

how to walk on terrain smoothly using oculus ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpfish View Post
        HI,

Sorry I can't read through 18 pages and I HAVE tried searching a few phrases but can't find anything...

1. is it possible to disable the glowing neon around the in-editor oculus touch controllers? Or at least only have them come on when you've brought up the circle menu.
        2. is it possible to disable/hide the red neon selection/laser pointer, again until needed.

I ask this as they are extremely distracting in-editor when I'm trying to assess a scene, lighting, or even just mock testing where I have no need for the controllers to show like that (rather than running the game/VR preview) and don't want the giant red laser line messing up my scene. I often end up having to put the touch down/out of the way of my scene but that line always finds a way to cut through the environment I'm attempting to take in to make decisions on.

Also I ask #1 as it seems mostly superfluous to me and with god-rays in the rift (and vive - have had both) that bright lighting on the controllers only serves to make in-editor time a bit more exhausting with all the lens flares and fogging effect they create!

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times and is old hat... and if there is no option or easy hack anyway I guess I'll have to delve into the engine code or assets to tame them myself somehow.

Thanks
        You can achieve this fairly simply in the editor without modifying source. Open the content browser and in View Options enable "Show Engine Content", you can then search the Engine Content folder for either OculusControllerMaterial_Inst or VivePreControllerMaterial_Inst, and override then untick "Show Glowing Trim". You could also leave it enabled and just reduce the alpha on the Trim Colour (if you have difficulty seeing your controllers in dark environments. Hope that helps!
        Eric Fear
        Lead VR/AR Developer at Inspace XR | Director at Totally Wicked Games

Comment

Keep getting a crash whenever I use VR Editor:
          Both in 1.20 regular oculus and beta. Have latest nvidia drivers (388.31)

Here is stack trace:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorViewportClient::IsPerspective() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorviewportclient.cpp:1474] UE4Editor_UnrealEd!FEditorViewportClient::GetViewLocation() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\public\editorviewportclient.h:404] UE4Editor_ViewportInteraction!UViewportWorldInteraction::GetRoomTransform() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\viewportinteraction\viewportworldinteraction.cpp:647] UE4Editor_VREditor!UVREditorMotionControllerInteractor::PollInput() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\vreditor\vreditormotioncontrollerinteractor.cpp:873] UE4Editor_ViewportInteraction!UViewportWorldInteraction::PollInputIfNeeded() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\viewportinteraction\viewportworldinteraction.cpp:2507] UE4Editor_ViewportInteraction!UViewportWorldInteraction::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\viewportinteraction\viewportworldinteraction.cpp:461] UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorWorldExtensionCollection::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorworldextension.cpp:335] UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorWorldExtensionManager::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorworldextension.cpp:559] UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UEditorEngine::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editorengine.cpp:1744] UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedengine.cpp:396] UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:3296] UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:166] UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:134] UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\build++ue4+release-4.18+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:210] UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [f:\dd\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:253] kernel32 ntdll
          https://www.casualdistractiongames.com

Comment

Originally posted by OptimisticMonkey View Post
            Keep getting a crash whenever I use VR Editor:
            Both in 1.20 regular oculus and beta. Have latest nvidia drivers (388.31)
            Hi! This should be fixed in the next version of the engine - but for now, the workaround is to just wait a minute between opening the editor and going into VR Mode. Thanks!

Comment

Hi everyone,

is there any (scientific) paper about the basic concepts of the UE4 VR editor?

Currently I write a seminar paper about visualization of hypertext in VR and interaction with it. I want to use information from the games industry, because hypertext and human interaction with information and its structure is important and needs easy and smooth navigation, expecially in VR. In my opinion this is what game developers are good at: visualizing information in an easy way and communicating with the player. And that's basically also done by hypertext researchers at some point.

Does some paper about the UE4 VR editor exist? Something about navigation and interaction? I could not find anything like that.

I hope this post is at the correct position and not completely wrong here. Thank you all!

Comment

DarkVeil Hi Mike, Thanks for sharing your specs. I am having a lot of performance issues running UE4 vr editor, but I think my build is equal or better than yours. I have amd FX 6300 and Radeon R9 390X. All of my HTC Vive apps from steam and Viveport run just fine. I really wanna get in and start painting and sculpting my imported real world landscape (Cliffs of Moher Ireland)

My UE4 verion I'm running is 4.16.3
                I'm going to try updating to 4.18.2 when I get home from work tomorrow morning.

Comment

Uhm, when will the VR editor support editing meshes? This is why i got unreal in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Battan View Post
                    Uhm, when will the VR editor support editing meshes? This is why i got unreal in the first place.
                    I'm curious about the VR editor's development in general. I hope it's going on strong but I'm not so sure about epic's commitment to it.

Comment

Is there anyway to use the functionality of the VR editor in a packaged game. Ie, we want out architecture clients to be able to use this VR Editor with the standalone package we send them, so they can edit landscape in game. Is this possible?
                      Graeme van Rensburg
                      Email: graeme@designgvr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Graeme VR View Post
                        Is there anyway to use the functionality of the VR editor in a packaged game. Ie, we want out architecture clients to be able to use this VR Editor with the standalone package we send them, so they can edit landscape in game. Is this possible?
                        This is not possible, unfortunately because those parts are not compiled in packaged builds. You would have to use marketplace assets to get this functionality at runtime, like "VR radial menu" and "terra nova" in your specific case.

Comment

Hiya - is there any further info about the direct grab + rotate (and maybe 2 hand scale?) that YannickLange said he had implemented at the end of the Updates to VR Editor talk last year?

https://youtu.be/20kzY5axUOM?t=1h41s

Been longing for this since the preview version. Let me know / thanks for all the work on this !

Comment

When I try to use VR Editor, it all looks fine, until I select an object, as soon as the object is selected, the entire scene fills with white light and white fog, you can't really see anything, except OF COURSE the awful ynbecessary giant white grid obscuring the bottom 1/2 your scene, and some other grid, obscurri g tge top 1/2.. it is the most frustrating thing I have ever tried, I actually bring my scenes into Unity Editor XR, edit there, THEN bring the fbx back to Unreal. THATS how bad it is to work with,. Is it broken in 4.19? Or does it always blind you with white light and fog anytime an obhect is selected? (Making it compketely unusable..) Also, no Marquee selection of multi objects like in Unity VR editor. Also, you can't put anything where you want in Unreal VR editor, even with Snap off, ( I think?) it pops things to where IT wants, like someone else is controlling your hand or trying to take the object. I have yet to get any functionality out of it, Editor XR in Unity is Sooo much better, (except it runs worse). Never a good option,.. Any hopes of AT LEAST being able to gave skne options in UVRE, maybe to turn distracting FOG, LIGHTS, GRIDS AND RANDOM SNAPPING, OFF?!! I waited almost years BEFORE even asking, and in that time NOT ONE LITTLE THING has changed, there isn't even a simple thrust like in unity, where you push the B button...
                            Last edited by NextWorldVR; 07-15-2018, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFear View Post

You can achieve this fairly simply in the editor without modifying source. Open the content browser and in View Options enable "Show Engine Content", you can then search the Engine Content folder for either OculusControllerMaterial_Inst or VivePreControllerMaterial_Inst, and override then untick "Show Glowing Trim". You could also leave it enabled and just reduce the alpha on the Trim Colour (if you have difficulty seeing your controllers in dark environments. Hope that helps!
                              Hello, 'TheFear', ;") You have amazing knowledge of VR Editor! If you have time to answer I have a couple VR editor questions.

1) Kind of like the question you answered above, would there be anyway to get rid of the BRIGHT WHITE Grid (or Fog?.) That happens whenever you select something (and I think, whenever you move..)? It not only BLINDS me with white, it 100% obscures 99% of the scene, (especially anything 'under' the selected object) The only change (I think) that should happen when I select an object is for a manipulator to display... If the asnwer is somewhat like above, could you elaborate how to get where you discuss? I have tried to customize ANYTHING about VR editor for almost a year, I never found anything, that let me change anything ... Content browser shows stuff for VR EDITOR?! Even in a new project? I don't remember seeing anything like that, but would be very happy to find it, Instead of eliminating the grid, I may even make it a very dark gray instead of blinding white...

2) Even more important, to really use this like I did Unity EditorXR, it would need some method of multi object selection. Selecting one object at at time in a really compkex scene, is actually futile, with objects behind each other, inside each other, or many small objects near big objects. What takes a 10th of a second in Unity VR edit, might take a minute, an hour, (even a week depending on world complexity), except, it would end up just being impossible, you would be constsntly deselecting objects, while trying to select more, going backwards, you could be be chasing your tail, for eternity.. In Unity VR edit, you simply draw a box around (or intersecting) the objects you want, (of DON'T want) with a A button (I think it's a) , and if you get any extra, you just do a box with A button held and it takes away the new intersected objects. VERY EASY, VERY FAST,.. I have found nothing like it in U resl VR editor. In fact I would venture to say, without box or marque selection (visual selection, not outliner, I don't always know 20,000 names of objects in elaborate worlds) Then VR editor nay as well nit even exist, the second you need it for complexity, it becomes mire hinderance than helper.

though Unreal is superior in most ways, I have been trying to find a way to use UNITY VReditor to edit placement of world items then bring back into Unreal, that's how much better Editor VR is with natural picking up and placement of objs, and with Marguee/Box intersection selection But I lose materials, all unreal prior progress, so the answer is, wait and wait and....

Is there a place to do a feature request. I will take one if my 1/2' million-object worlds and show how easy it is in Unity and utterly impossible (for now) in Unreal as (unlisted) video, maybe that would show then that its 'ok' for simple scene work.. , that complex work demands good selection tools...

3) When I grab an object in Unity VR edit, I can turn my arm, twist my wrist, bring my hand up ir down, and it tyrbs the obhect lije in real life,.. Like, to take a horizontal book laying on a table, and rotate it 90° To put on a book shelf, is a tiny twist of my wrist. You twist you wrist, or turn your arm etc. so does the object.. In Unreal, you can't pick up, turn and place with singular natural movement, when you do the object stays in the SAME WORLD ORIENTATION! So unlike Unity, once you grab it, if you wsnt a simple angle change, you have to also open the control pallete, choose rotate tool, rotate the object then finally place it, OR you have to select with two hands a twist/warp it into place, (it's almost impossible to keep it scaled perfectly with this method) In most things, what take less than a second in Unity VR edit, take many many times longer in Unreal, if it is even possible..

Why do they take so long between updates or fixes in Unreal VR editor. I heard about it, over a year ago, maybe 2 years ago, but NOT ONE THING HAS CHANGED in all that time! Why would they not add the simple things Unity has had since day one, (like intersecting/encompassing box multi-item selection)... It's so frustrating, I am actually putting off entire projects waiting for editor VR to evolve to a usable state (box select would do it)..

THANKS FOR ANY INFO, NEWS, HELP, LINKS or PLANS IN THE WORKS!

Rob from NextWorldVR

edit: oh no.., "IT'S DEAD JIM!". I just noticed I posted the same question a week ago., NO ANSWER AT ALL.. THIS COMPANY JUST DOESN'T GIVE A ****.. .. I guess the advancement of this tool died the day after it was released. If Unity increases its ambient occlusion, effects, visual output quality and it's pricing structure, UNREAL would instantly be in real trouble, with this lack if commitment, dedication, support and interest of their own product would cause a mass exodus... WHAT A GIGANTIC SHAME,,,, Thank goodness for Autodesk 3ds Max Interactive now with VR viewport... oh god i'm so depressed now. This was supposed to be my 'new thing'. But it us not eorth using,..
                              Last edited by NextWorldVR; 07-15-2018, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisnovello View Post
                                Hiya - is there any further info about the direct grab + rotate (and maybe 2 hand scale?) that YannickLange said he had implemented at the end of the Updates to VR Editor talk last year?

https://youtu.be/20kzY5axUOM?t=1h41s

Been longing for this since the preview version. Let me know / thanks for all the work on this !
                                Direct grab rotate like Unity does not work, it defys logic by maintaining relative world orientation in your hand..

You can 2 hand scale (and rotate and flip) but it's jerky, innaccurate and NO WHERE NEAR as natural or intuitive as UNITY EditorXR.

Comment

Working...
                                X