No announcement yet.

How do I acquire VR dev kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I'm saying is, the "chasm" always happens; And it didn't happen to VR yet. If it goes past the abyss I buy mine as well...
    If it can't survive that period, it is going to be just another kinect / PS Move. A gimmick.
    | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

This is a perfectly reasonable approach to new technology. I agree that the Kinect was more a gimmick than anything else. I've also been burned in the past being an early adopter (looking at you, Leap Motion). But I'm pretty confident that VR is not just another gimmick. I am not a time traveller though, so we'll see I guess...
      Join us on IRC! We are on #unrealengine @ freenode.org

Comment

Well, good VR is not like jumping around in front of a TV...it feels more like watching a movie for the very first time
        "I'm an engineer. I design illusions and construct the apparatus necessary for performing them."

Comment

Thing is, good VR is more than imitating an IMAX 3D screen. For now VR headsets are nothing more than a glorified version of 3D glasses. VR should mean total immersion, you should be able to walk and move inside this world, using a 3D headset with a pair of PS moves or a gamepad is not good VR... it's just a gimmick.

Comment

The only people that think VR is a gimmick are people that haven't tried VR yet and cardboard doesn't count.

Comment

VR is more than just a new display device. If that's all you think it is, then you're doing it wrong. VR is a paradigm shift in designing experiences to be as immersive as possible, using every tool at our disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by tcla75 View Post
                The only people that think VR is a gimmick are people that haven't tried VR yet and cardboard doesn't count.
                Then I suppose that Playstation VR or DK2 aren't VR.

VR is more than just a new display device. If that's all you think it is, then you're doing it wrong. VR is a paradigm shift in designing experiences to be as immersive as possible, using every tool at our disposal.
                VR as a definition, yes. Current VR, no.

Show me a HMD with at least 4K resolution, which is able to go at higher hz without resorting to timewarp/reprojection, and that has found a solution to fix all the "small" issues like screen door effect, etc. And that's the "basic" part, I'm not going into the wireless talk...

Then move into the body capture, things like STEM or leap motion tech is cool, but would you call that a paradigm shift? total immersion? Have you tried any Vive demo and after the initial thought of coolness did you noticed how disconnected you felt from your body when trying to touch or push anything in the VR world?

I think VR has a great future, it always had, and these days looks like we have a lot of companies working on it, which is good, but lets get real, we're still years away from VR being a paradigm shift.

Comment

^Try CV1 or Vive

Comment

Don't waste your money yet, there's no need to get any VR right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Errvald View Post
                      Don't waste your money yet, there's no need to get any VR right now.
                      Yeah I think it's wiser to wait some months, the comercial release is almost here.

Anyway if you don't mind paying money for obsolete hardware, best options are to find a DK2 + hydra in ebay or similar, or buy razer osvr HDK and any motion controller you can find (or use something like leap motion, although the custom plate for the HDK is not currently available you can use tape or velcro to attach it).

I've been working with wiimotes but the bluetooth connection is incredible unreliable and problematic. I would love to switch to stem or similar SOON.

So if you are low on the money, just wait and develop other parts of your game. Keep in mind how your controls will be in the future using a HMD and controllers and you should be safe.
                      Last edited by SaffronCR; 10-28-2015, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X