Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I acquire VR dev kit?

Hey folks!
    I was intrigues by VR for a while, but now I'm pretty sure that VR is solid and it would to stupid not to have a dev kit for testing and etc.
    However how do I get full VR dev kit?
    I tried to get Vive, but it's too late for any application, I tried to get Oculus - it's only helmet, without any joysticks
    Sooo how do I get started?
    SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
    Level design and prototyping for newbies

The "official" start for VR is just around the corner. So, there's no good reason to get a dev kit anymore...

HTC/Valve will anounce the Vive release date within the next few days You might be able to get one before the end of the year. However, the first batch will be very limited...you should preorder one as soon as you can. To get started, watch this...

...and you'll be ready on day one.
    "I'm an engineer. I design illusions and construct the apparatus necessary for performing them."

Comment

Hey Constructive Illusions where did you get that info on the Vive announcement? I'm working on a VR game and would love to switch over to the vive headset and ditch these hydras :P

Comment

Well, we already know for sure that HTC is going to release a limited amount of consumer Vives by the end of the year unless there's a delay for some reason...and there's an HTC event in about 3 days. However, they keep saying that the event has nothing to do with VR :P

One more time - there is nothing Vive related happening on the 20th. It has nothing to do with VR.
        > https://twitter.com/chetfaliszek/sta...71937441288192 ^^

Update: http://vrfocus.com/archives/23602/va...-20th-october/
        Last edited by Constructive Illusions; 10-17-2015, 06:51 PM.
        "I'm an engineer. I design illusions and construct the apparatus necessary for performing them."

Comment

zeOrb, right now your only choice is to get an Oculus DK2 and a Hydra, if you really want to start immediately.

I doubt you can get a Vive currently, even from Ebay. Valve is giving out the dev kits for free, probably with some kind of contract preventing resale. But really, who would want to sell a Vive right now?

Alternatively you can wait a few more months for the consumer release.
          Join us on IRC! We are on #unrealengine @ freenode.org

Comment

Originally posted by Bajee View Post
            probably with some kind of contract preventing resale
            yes...according to the contract it's not even mine. It still belongs to HTC and Valve :P

Comment

Oh, what a bummer. Maybe next time event will VR. I hope this year at least <_<

zeOrb, right now your only choice is to get an Oculus DK2 and a Hydra, if you really want to start immediately.

I doubt you can get a Vive currently, even from Ebay. Valve is giving out the dev kits for free, probably with some kind of contract preventing resale. But really, who would want to sell a Vive right now?

Alternatively you can wait a few more months for the consumer release.
              Oculus DK2 and Hydra looks like very expensive and outdated hack(I mean Razer is abandoned now and devs are doing something new afaik) :/
              If only you could get dk2 with some dev version of oculus touch!

Yeah, I think no better solution than spying on Vive and Oculus announcements
              SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
              Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

If you want to prototype touch/lighthouse like games now the best bet is to get a Hydra or 2x PSMove and a DK2. Both community plugins support the Motion Controller abstraction which means you can re-use your code for when you graduate to full Vive/Touch experiences.
                Plugins: GES - Node.js - TensorFlow - Socket.io Client - ZipUtility - Leap Motion - Hydra - Myo

Comment

Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
                  Yeah, I think no better solution than spying on Vive and Oculus announcements
                  There is going to be an HTC press conference this Wednesday.

Comment

Why you want to waste money on that now.
                    Prices will drop aburdly after Vr hype is gone. No need to pay for that now... If for development, you always port later if game goes well on Pc first.
                    | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
                      Prices will drop aburdly after Vr hype is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
                        Prices will drop aburdly after Vr hype is gone.
                        Could happen. But I wouldn't count on that. Did iPhone prices drop?

Comment

Could happen. But I wouldn't count on that. Did iPhone prices drop?
                          Are you seriously comparing those headsets to digital cell phones? lol
                          What vr headsets are now, they're pretty much like what cellphones were back in the 90s:

And yes, they got much cheaper. First mobile phones were ranging around $3k.

I'm talking about this; you are at the beginning of the red area. No need to worry much about VR now since the ones able to rush the platform for profits are already doing it since 2~3 years ago.
                          If you want to adopt now because you want to be part of the early rush, innovators came before you and your products already 2 years ago.
                          Oculos, the first one from Kickstarter has been around for a while.

| Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

I don't think expecting a price drop comparable to the mobile phone industry is reasonable. The VR headsets launching next year are expected to cost around $400-$500. I doubt you will ever see a good headset for $200. Definitely not within the next 5 years. Even the new GearVR is $100 that you can't actually use without a $500 phone.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with the adaption plot. The iPhone still costs roughly the same as it did almost a decade ago.

On an unrelated note, teenage boys and 20 years old girls are rarely the "innovators" and early adapters of technology. It's the 25 years old single guys with lots of disposable income.

Comment

I don't like the Zuckerguy, but he definitly knows where to put his money.

Btw, forget about the hype and the market. It's a lot of fun to develop VR projects! First you draw something on paper, then you reconstruct it in 3D, then you place it in UE4 and then you literally step inside => pure magic

Comment

Working...
                              X