Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UE4.9.1 does not recognise Rift with 0.6.0.1, and has game breaking performance with 0.7.0.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UE4.9.1 does not recognise Rift with 0.6.0.1, and has game breaking performance with 0.7.0.0

Hoping someone can shed some light on this -

Updating from 4.9.0 to 4.9.1 stops UE from even recognizing that a HMD is attached, with "VR Preview" greyed out. I figure this is maybe because Epic wants to push people to use runtime 0.7.0.0, so I updated from 0.6.0.1 to 0.7.0.0.

VR preview works, but with framerates down to 50fps from a solid 75 in worst cases, and from a solid 75 to 71-74 in the best case.

I'm not sure if the culprit is the runtime update or 4.9.1 update, but I'm just wondering if Epic knows of this issue and if anyone else is experiencing it.

Also, I'd like to know if the incompatibility between 0.6.0.1 and UE4.9.1 was intentional? With UE4.9.0 and 0.6.0.1, performance was hitting a perfect 75 at all times.

Thanks!

One of the changes to 4.9.1 was the integration of the new 7.0 runtime. So yes, that was definitely going to happen.

But your also right, the performance did take a fairly severe hit. Three projects of varying complexity just won't hit a solid 75 in certain areas anymore, ran more than fine previously. I feel like things are going to be really, rocky for the independent developers leading up to the 1.0 runtime at best.

Comment

Thanks pixelvspixel, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

So I just went back through and double checked, it is definitely the combination of runtime and UE4 version that is causing the perf hit. My GF driver is up to date on 355.84. I understand the risks of being on the cutting edge of hardware and software development, but I'm disappointed as 0.7 was supposed to be a shiny new update, what with the purging of extended mode and the addition of direct driver mode. This is a serious step back in optimization, and seems to have undone the gains that 0.6.0.1 provided, which were a huge improvement.

Is there any official word on this, from guys at Epic or from Oculus?

Comment

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same problem. The same project that on 4.9 and 0.7 had a solid 75 frame rate now with 4.9.1 has judder. I have to use hmd pd of about 0.8 to get it to the same fps as before.

Comment

Can I ask if you are experiencing this slowdown on a fresh reboot?

There is a known bug in 0.7 runtime that causes severe performance issues on the second run of any VR application.

Comment

Sizable increase in frame time, not sure if 0.7 runtime or 4.9.1, just posting to raise awareness. Hope this performance hit doesn't go on for long as I'd like to stay on the edge of updates!

Seems to be bad on a fresh boot on my hardware as well @John!

Comment

Originally posted by John Vanderbeck View Post

There is a known bug in 0.7 runtime that causes severe performance issues on the second run of any VR application.
              Yes, after several reboots the performance issue is still present. Thank you for asking.
              Last edited by virtualHC; 09-22-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Vanderbeck View Post

Hey John,

Is there a source for this news?

My 4.9.1 with 0.7 project runs consistently poorly; I tried diagnosing the issue by installing several different runtimes which require a computer restart each time, so this bug is not the issue.

Comment

Safe to assume the bulk of us in here are on nvidia drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by pixelvspixel View Post
                    Safe to assume the bulk of us in here are on nvidia drivers?
                    I'm using the Nvidia driver on Windows 10.

Comment

I'm using AMD catalyst 15.8 beta and having the exact same problem.

Comment

It seems that the recent Nvidia drivers update improved my situation and the frame rate went up.

Comment

Originally posted by btengelh View Post
                          you mean the new 355.98 drivers? or are there any newer drivers yet?
                          Yes, I mean the 355.98. I found about the latest update yesterday.

Comment

355.98 didn't resolve the issue for me.

Comment

Working...
                            X