An idiots guide to using the Oculus SDK with FMOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Opamp77 View Post
    BTW Is there any chance of you guys including 32bit binary's with the next release?
    I just had another look at our latest release, and it has FMOD 32bit dlls, the compiled plugin for Win32 Shipping, but is missing the Binaries/ThirdParty/FMODStudio/Win32 files. They are actually just a copy from Plugins/FMODStudio/Lib/Win32/*.dll but I will update our build script for next release.

Comment

Just wanted to say FMODSTUDIO is a great tool! Its an easy transition for the audio heads, because the workflow is very similair to Ableton Live / Bitwig. Thumbs up

Comment

Originally posted by rayburn View Post
        Just wanted to say FMODSTUDIO is a great tool! Its an easy transition for the audio heads, because the workflow is very similair to Ableton Live / Bitwig. Thumbs up
        Thanks, much appreciated! I'll pass that along to the team.

Comment

Incredibly helpful, thanks.

I've gotten everything to work except one thing--it appears that spatialization and volume work fine when moving around a level with the mouse and WASD keys. However, with positional tracking, I can't seem to get the audio to follow the position of the headset. For example, I would expect the audio to get louder as I approach it physically (due to positional tracking from the camera), but the volume remains the same (whether I move forwards or backwards). The audio only changes volume when I move towards it or away from it using the WASD keys. Any advice?

Comment

Definitely a great tool!! Is it possible to use the FMOD and Oculus plugin also with real time streamed audio?

Comment

Nevermind... keep calm and carry on.
              Last edited by Akshara; 04-13-2015, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Can you use their audio SDK even if you aren't making a VR game? VR or not, everything benefits from spatialized audio.

Comment

Thank you for Opamp77. Do you know if this works on Android for the GearVR?
                  I'm going to budget around a day to integrate this for the VR Jam. Audio isn't getting any love in that Jam.

Comment

Originally posted by Bino View Post
                    Thank you for Opamp77. Do you know if this works on Android for the GearVR?
                    I'm going to budget around a day to integrate this for the VR Jam. Audio isn't getting any love in that Jam.
                    Edit: Yes, it works with help from FMOD Support.

Firsthand experience with this... following Opamp's guide here and here, neither the FMOD nor Oculus plugins will package properly to the Note 4 and so the app will crash at start up because the plugins are not included in the apk. The solution is to contact FMOD support and to request a modification to the UEDeployAndroid.cs file in the UE4 source code, as described within the Deployment section of the FMOD Integration CHM Documentation in the UE4 Help menu.

Though this will allow the FMOD plugin itself to deploy to Android, the Oculus Spatializer plugin requires the libovrfmod32.so file from the Oculus Audio SDK to be manually placed in Engine\Plugins\FMODStudio\Lib\Android within the UE4 Source directory, which then gets packaged in the proper location by FMOD Studio once the source code modfications from FMOD Support are applied.
                    Last edited by Akshara; 04-24-2015, 06:12 AM. Reason: answer

Comment

Thanks Akshara for the detailed response.

I'll try the latest native 3D audio support in the master branch instead of FMOD.

Comment

I was able to get the Oculus Spatializer working on the GearVR with FMOD Support's help and edited the post above to reflect this. I posted a rough outline of the process over on the Oculus forums to try and help Bino and anyone else in the Jam get it up and running as quickly as possible. If you are in the Mobile VR Jam and reading this while researching how to get the Oculus Spatializer working, the only option within UE4 at this time is to get FMOD up and running and deploying to Android successfully, which requires contacting FMOD Support. If you have a question about my process for getting it to work, reach out through a PM or post it here and I will answer if I am able.
                        Last edited by Akshara; 04-24-2015, 07:29 AM.

Comment

The instructions posted here and by Akshara and Geoff of FMOD works really well

Comment

May as well try asking this question here. I've posted it in the FMOD forums as well.

--

This works well for me if I drag and drop an FMOD event into the scene.

However I can't seem to fire it from blueprints. It works in the mobile and PC simulator but not in Note4.

Is it possible to fire spatialized sounds from Blueprints?

http://i.imgur.com/rJJwIou.png

Comment

Wanting to follow along, as I'm curious as well, yet am confused that you posted in the FMOD forums... their forums are archived read only. Where did you post this?

Comment

I posted the question where Geoff gave his answer - http://www.fmod.org/questions/questi...ing-on-android

But I now realised that's not really an appropriate place based on the format of that site.

Re-asked: http://www.fmod.org/questions/questi...nts-in-android
                                Last edited by Bino; 05-02-2015, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X