No announcement yet.

Epic's low priority on GearVR and VR in general makes me sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VR, for the time being, is full of small demos that could make good use of "targeted" advanced features. I could be wrong, and performance may be so bad that your devs are totally correct in keeping them out of my virtual hands... but I won't really know until they can be seen.
    I couldn't agree more! We're definitely going to fix them up so you guys can experiment with them. I'm personally very curious about pushing the digital human interaction, which you really need those features for. Now that things have settled down a bit on the platform work, we'll start getting these things fixed up for you guys to play around with. Performance was the reason for the priority being lower on fixing those up than new platform support, but definitely not a reason to stop us from doing it! As you say, VR is all about experimentation, and now we can focus on fleshing out the toolkit a bit more for you guys.

Can't wait to see what you guys end up doing!

Comment

A quick tip for anyone getting the "only rendering in left eye despite Mobile HDR being turned off" bug, check to see that you have static lighting turned on under Project Settings -> Engine -> Rendering -> Allow Static Lighting. Also make sure the checkbox is NOT checked at World Settings-> Lightmass -> Advanced -> Force No Precomputed Lighting.

I was getting that problem with static lighting completely disabled. My guess is the renderer has no idea what to do in this situation and craps out. Be sure to restart the editor after changing these settings. Running fine now with Mobile HDR off! I'm on a build compiled from source at the 4.7.1 tag.

Comment

Originally posted by sinoth View Post
        A quick tip for anyone getting the "only rendering in left eye despite Mobile HDR being turned off" bug, check to see that you have static lighting turned on under Project Settings -> Engine -> Rendering -> Allow Static Lighting. Also make sure the checkbox is NOT checked at World Settings-> Lightmass -> Advanced -> Force No Precomputed Lighting.

I was getting that problem with static lighting completely disabled. My guess is the renderer has no idea what to do in this situation and craps out. Be sure to restart the editor after changing these settings. Running fine now with Mobile HDR off! I'm on a build compiled from source at the 4.7.1 tag.
        Many thanks for this info sinoth - unfortunately when doing JJ's instructions above, this step:

- Change the options to 'Mobile / Tablet', 'Scalable 2D / 3D', 'No Starter Content'

already has those settings (allow static lighting ON and Force no Precomputed Lighting OFF). Anything else that needs tweaking to get the FPS template working?? Frustrated at not being able to play around with some ideas on the gearVr

PS: which Note 4 model do you have? Snapdragon or Exynos ?

*EDIT:* ah I just read:

I'm on a build compiled from source at the 4.7.1 tag.
        So this means it's still not working on the Binary 4.7.1 release? the release notes are a bit misleading then

"New: Android builds can now target GearVR by enabling the GearVR plugin, and selecting the GearVR in the Android packaging project settings. "
        Headgear - VR/AR solutions

Comment

Hey I really appreciate your assistance Mr Hoesing but there was a few questions I had about a couple of the steps listed here. At the moment I have done everything except for these two steps and I have gotten to the point in which it will launch to my Gear but it always ends up with my project saying it has to close and then the standard Oculus home menu opens up.

Originally posted by JJ Hoesing View Post
          I'm also going to repost the steps for getting running on GearVR here...
          Prerequisites:
          - Grab 4.7.1 from GitHub and run the Setup.bat in order to get the latest binaries. Please make sure to re-run Setup.bat if you have already run it, because there are new libraries for GearVR support

Create your project:
          - Select the 'C++' tab (currently GearVR support requires a C++ project since plugins are not built into the default executables, alternatively create a blueprint project and add a blank c++ class to it in order to kickstart a compile/link stage into the build)
          Now I have extremely little C++ experience so I was wondering if the current launchers 4.7.2 version works properly. Basically can I run it with what the launcher downloads by default or do I need to download that specific version from the github?

The second part that I am confused about is the blueprint blank c++ class you mention to kickstart the gear plugin. As it stands I am a one man operation and 100% of my "coding" comes from blueprints and I am having trouble trying to figure out how to create some sort of blueprint / blank C++ hybrid to get this thing running correctly so I can at least get it function within the headset.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Whiting View Post
            So, I'm going to have a quick sample project made that can serve as a plain base, which will run great on the Gear VR. Then you can take that and build upon it, choosing which features you want to turn on in order to add visuals to your scene. Obviously, because it's a mobile platform, it's not going to look quite as shiny as on the PC, but it should certainly let you do some interesting things.
            Is there an update on this coming soon? I'd prefer to use Unreal for the mobile VR jam, but it's just impossible currently. Even the Epic member I met at GDC couldn't get a basic demo running at 60fps on the Gear.

Having a template to work off of would be amazing.

Comment

Ditto, I can't participate in Oculus VR Jam unless there's a GearVR template.

Comment

Just to let others know, Gear VR does work with the 4.7.2 binary. For those still getting the "only renders in left eye" bug and you are sure Mobile HDR is off, please make sure you are not running any of these commands:
                • stereo on/off
                • hmd mirror on
                • fullscreen
                • hmd sp #
                • Enable Low Persistence

AFAIK, they are unnecessary for Gear VR. I had these runningin the level blueprint for Oculus Rift support, and once I stopped that branch from firing the Gear VR render bug stopped. I'm not sure which command is the culprit.

Comment

Has anyone gotten GearVR head tracking to work yet? With latest 4.7.2 binaries the image finally renders in both eyes but it doesn't pick up head tracking. Head tracking is working normally in my DK2 and it works on other apps on the GearVR. I'm pretty much stuck and have been banging my head against it all day. Tried both C++ and Plugin projects. Tried the DK2 VR project.

Comment

After spending some time with Gear VR I have a few questions:
                    1. Are we stuck with Mobile HDR off?
                    2. Can anyone explain exactly what restrictions we have on lighting?
                      Using this document as a reference, it appears we have "Basic Lighting" since we can use baked lighting. Does this mean we can't have any dynamic shadows?
                    3. Are any basic gestures on the touchpad supported (forward, back) or do we have to roll these all ourselves?
                    4. Is there any event fired for a touchpad 'tap'?
                    5. What event does the BACK button fire?
                    6. Why does holding BACK for two seconds not open the global home/passthrough/brightness menu?
                    7. Related to the Gear VR Template, are there any .ini tweaks we should consider using?

Lastly, I have a very general question. How are you all profiling the device? This may be more of an Android question than Gear VR, though being in VR makes it harder to see built-in stats like "stat unit", etc.

The best I've managed so far is doing a "stat startfile" and "stat stopfile" on the device itself and load the profile in the Session Frontend. I'm not good enough to make sense of the profile yet, but it seems to be the route to take.

Overall I'm pumped to participate in this year's Mobile VR Jam using UE4! Really hope support can be polished in the next few weeks, as we're one month out from the jam start. Oculus has already chosen UE4 as their flagship engine for desktop experiences -- let's show them we can do mobile too!

Comment

Originally posted by Rjmig88 View Post
                      Has anyone gotten GearVR head tracking to work yet? With latest 4.7.2 binaries the image finally renders in both eyes but it doesn't pick up head tracking. Head tracking is working normally in my DK2 and it works on other apps on the GearVR. I'm pretty much stuck and have been banging my head against it all day. Tried both C++ and Plugin projects. Tried the DK2 VR project.
                      Everything works great for me in 4.7.2 binary including headtracking. Just now I created a test project with minimal effort after following this post:
                      • Make sure your oculussig file is in the right place
                        For me it is in "C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.7\Engine\Build\Android\Java\assets"
                      • New C++ project [Mobile, Scalable, No Starter Content]
                      • Enable Gear VR plugin, restart
                      • Drop some BSP cubes and a static directional light into the scene
                      • Project settings -> Platforms -> Android -> APKPackaging -> Configure now
                      • Project settings -> Platforms -> Android -> APKPackaging -> Minimum SDK Version = 19
                      • Project settings -> Platforms -> Android -> Advanced APKPackaging -> Configure the AndroidManifest for deployment to Gear VR = true
                      • Package project -> Android (ETC2)

The only Android setup I've done on my PC is installing the bundled TADP 2.0r8.
                      Last edited by sinoth; 03-10-2015, 01:58 AM.

Comment

I've tried all of that with no luck. It loads the app for me and I get stereoscopic vision but no tracking. I'm running an exynos note 4 so I'm guessing it isn't supported yet. I'm using the first person shooter c++ template. All the included apps in the oculus store work great.

I can tap the side of the headset and here the gun shoot. However I don't see it shoot at all. It seems like it stops rendering after the first full frame.

I have an oculussig file - the app prompts me to insert the gearVR.
                        - I'm doing mobile/scalable/no starter content
                        - Tried doing an empty map with some BSP cubes and a static light - same issue, no head tracking
                        - Done all the android setup - configure now/minimum SDK Version = 19
                        Configured the android manifest for Gear VR
                        - Tried both packaging the project and running the .bat and launching through the editor.

I have the bundled TADP installed. I can run non GearVR unreal projects fine on android. I'm running on Windows 7.
                        Last edited by Rjmig88; 03-10-2015, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Anyone else experiencing the same issue? I have Unity 4 working on the GearVR and I can rotate fine. I'd prefer to use Unreal though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rjmig88 View Post
                            I've tried all of that with no luck. It loads the app for me and I get stereoscopic vision but no tracking. I'm running an exynos note 4 so I'm guessing it isn't supported yet. I'm using the first person shooter c++ template. All the included apps in the oculus store work great.

I can tap the side of the headset and here the gun shoot. However I don't see it shoot at all. It seems like it stops rendering after the first full frame.

I have an oculussig file - the app prompts me to insert the gearVR.
                            - I'm doing mobile/scalable/no starter content
                            - Tried doing an empty map with some BSP cubes and a static light - same issue, no head tracking
                            - Done all the android setup - configure now/minimum SDK Version = 19
                            Configured the android manifest for Gear VR
                            - Tried both packaging the project and running the .bat and launching through the editor.

I have the bundled TADP installed. I can run non GearVR unreal projects fine on android. I'm running on Windows 7.
                            Hi Rjmig88,

I also have the exynos note 4 and am having no luck with GearVR with UE4.7.2. No head tracking plus I only get 'quarter' vision, how did you get that to work using the C++ first persion shooter template? I followed all of these instructions countless times and always the same result:

Just to let others know, Gear VR does work with the 4.7.2 binary. For those still getting the "only renders in left eye" bug and you are sure Mobile HDR is off, please make sure you are not running any of these commands:
                            • stereo on/off
                            • hmd mirror on
                            • fullscreen
                            • hmd sp #
                            • Enable Low Persistence
                            Which android version do you have on your exynos note 4?

The 'quarter' vision I'm talking about: (notice where the crosshair is - hense the quarter of resolution idea) - perhaps the render is not working correctly if it does not detect a snapdragon 420 adreno gpu?? If so perhaps there is a config setting in the deviceprofile.ini we could use to trick it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-02-28-17-10-58.png
Views:	3
Size:	505.6 KB
ID:	1068173
                            Headgear - VR/AR solutions

Comment

Originally posted by aussieburger View Post
                              Which android version do you have on your exynos note 4?
                              I have Snapdragon. It's sounding like Exynos may be the source of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by aussieburger View Post
                                Which android version do you have on your exynos note 4? how did you get that to work using the C++ first person shooter template?
                                I'm running 5.0.1 Lollipop. I'm running a rooted phone using this firmware - http://forum.xda-developers.com/note...stock-t3029783

As far as the C++ first person shooter template its the only one that renders fully in each eye for me. Other templates have quarter eye rendering issues. It also doesn't really seem to be rendering, it just seems to render the first frame then the graphics portion freezes. The rest of the game is playable, I can tap the side of the phone to fire the gun, hear it fire, but I don't see it firing.

I can do the first person template on non GearVR mode on my Exynos Note 4 and it runs fine. The dual controllers pop up on the phone and I can move around the world and it renders fine. It is definitely GearVR related.
                                Last edited by Rjmig88; 03-11-2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X