Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear VR support?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    There was no mention of Gear VR support in the 4.7 release blog post. Is this doable in the 4.7 stable release? If not, which branch should we use?

    Comment


      Originally posted by mankindforward View Post
      There was no mention of Gear VR support in the 4.7 release blog post. Is this doable in the 4.7 stable release? If not, which branch should we use?
      It is in the full release notes here. Specifically,
      • New: Android builds can now target GearVR by enabling the GearVR plugin, and selecting the GearVR in the Android packaging project settings.


      I make it a habit to check the forum post after a release. It will go over the lesser features that didn't make it into the blog post.

      Comment


        Originally posted by aussieburger View Post
        Late to the conversation but wondering if someone could help with this problem: I'm able to get templates to run on the gear vr however the image is not stereo'd

        Any ideas? 4.7 Preview 8 gear vr plugin enabled, checkbox ticket, osig file in place (I assume it would not boot in gear vr without that)

        Starting any app I see the "please insert into your gear vr headset" dialog upon doing so it loads but no left and right image - only one full screen image which I only saw what was going on after chromecasting first.
        Yes I'm having the same issue, everything seems to be installed properly, I tried adding a console command to the level blueprint of "stereo on" but that made no difference. And adding Low Persistance Mode causes the game to just hang (Black screen).

        Comment


          I got this to work with 4.7 stable/binary. You still have to create a C++ project and there are minor differences from the video above and the semi-official instructions from the Page 1. I went with those.

          Comment


            Originally posted by DCrosby View Post
            Yes I'm having the same issue, everything seems to be installed properly, I tried adding a console command to the level blueprint of "stereo on" but that made no difference. And adding Low Persistance Mode causes the game to just hang (Black screen).
            I am also having this issue. The image is the same in both eyes. How do we enable stereo?

            Comment


              I don't have a Galaxy GR but tempted to order one. Is it possible to deploy to the Gear via the official 4.7 release without having to build a 4.7 engine from Github first?

              Comment


                Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                I don't have a Galaxy GR but tempted to order one. Is it possible to deploy to the Gear via the official 4.7 release without having to build a 4.7 engine from Github first?
                You'd be surprised at how quick and easy it is to get your 4.7 build up and running. I haven't seen posts by anyone suggesting the non-source build works with GearVR. Try giving the build a shot and follow the instructions exactly and you should be up and running very quickly.

                Comment


                  Thanks Hesham Is there anything I have to worry about regarding 2D assets such as sprites and UI when using VR?

                  Comment


                    I have tried everything to get the build running without having to build source code, I all I get is a black screen, anyone have any luck yet?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                      Thanks Hesham Is there anything I have to worry about regarding 2D assets such as sprites and UI when using VR?
                      Honestly I couldn't say. For UI you can use UMG to place UI in the world but I haven't figured out how to interact with it yet (also last I checked it was flipped vertically on the Gear but Epic is looking into that). Otherwise 3D assets just seem to work. When working with GearVR using the Mobile Preview is extremely because it gives you an idea of what complex shaders will approximately look like on the Gear if they even work. I wasted tons of time initially building and deploying only to find certain shaders weren't working, tweaking and trying again. The DK2 supports pretty much all shaders on the PC but mobile is quite different and the mobile preview is a huge time saver.

                      Comment


                        Working on compiling 4.7 Release now, and I'll update everyone if I can get it to run.

                        -Derek

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by polemos View Post
                          I have tried everything to get the build running without having to build source code, I all I get is a black screen, anyone have any luck yet?
                          I'm not having any issues (outside of the known ones...) with the non-source built 4.7 release downloaded from the launcher. It looks like some C++ is still needed to get the plugin to enable. You can just add a C++ class if you are using a bp based project. Also, don't forget to create the assets folder with your sig file.
                          Klepto - Burglary Simulator

                          Comment


                            I've never created a C++ class in the browser. What does it need to be called & where does it go? And how do you create an assets folder from a "sig file"?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
                              I've never created a C++ class in the browser. What does it need to be called & where does it go? And how do you create an assets folder from a "sig file"?
                              So I still haven't gotten past the No Stereo View. Part. But in the hopes of good karma coming back to me, so you go in the editor to "File>Add Code to Project" then you get the choose parent class dialog, choose "None", hit Next, Name your class something, I typically use "MyEmptyClass" so that if I stumble across it, I remember that it's supposed to be empty. Then hit Create Class. and it should start setting up the class and compile the executable. If you have Visual Studio or XCode installed. If it comes back with success which it should you're all set, you have converted a blueprint project to have C++ elements, you can continue to use BP to do all your scripting, just now it's aware of other third party plugins when compiling. (Gear VR is such a device).

                              The assets folder you have to make, so you navigate to the Unreal4.7 folder not your project folder, then, \Unreal4.7\Engine\Build\Android\Java, and create a "assets" folder in there, and then put the .sig file you get from oculus' web site, in that folder. It's sort of a device authentication key file. If you have multiple Gear Vr's I'd assume you have to put one file for each device ID in there.

                              Comment


                                Is back button long press (universal menu) setup by default or do we need to manually add this functionality in?
                                Klepto - Burglary Simulator

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X