Gear VR support?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hesham View Post
    I tried it two days ago for one of my projects and it worked fine.

This sounds more like a change in the 4.7 codebase than an issue with Gear VR, maybe AnswerHub can help. Have you tried one of the plain sample projects to get up and running that way? I have huge issues with the sample projects both on the Rift and on Gear VR, not very promising at the moment.
    Yup, so I checked up on the AnswerHub and got it running, I just had to comment out the code that was generating the error. Hacky, I know, but hey at least I got it working. But. I now have another issue. I just can't seem to find the following settings:

- In the Android section, scroll to the top and click the 'Configure Now' button for Android support
    Set the Minimum SDK version to 19 or higher
    Select the 'Configure the AndroidManifest for deployment to GearVR' checkbox

Click image for larger version

Name:	Androdi_Settings.png
Views:	1
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	1066266

I clicked on all the Configure Now buttons, and still no luck. Why is this happening
    Last edited by mdhananjay; 02-10-2015, 02:06 AM. Reason: Removing extra picture

Comment

Originally posted by mdhananjay View Post
      Yup, so I checked up on the AnswerHub and got it running, I just had to comment out the code that was generating the error. Hacky, I know, but hey at least I got it working. But. I now have another issue. I just can't seem to find the following settings:

- In the Android section, scroll to the top and click the 'Configure Now' button for Android support
      Set the Minimum SDK version to 19 or higher
      Select the 'Configure the AndroidManifest for deployment to GearVR' checkbox

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25069[/ATTACH]

I clicked on all the Configure Now buttons, and still no luck. Why is this happening
      I ran into the same issue. For me, my Android build of UE4 from Visual Studio was failing b/c the SDK didnt install all the required tools. Go into your Android SDK Manager and install all the 19+ tools and update your Android 19 SDK. Once complete, go back into VS and build UE4 again, this time with Development and Android selected from the drop downs. After that, launch your debug for DevelopmentEditor Win64 and you should have the GearVR checkbox.
      Klepto - Burglary Simulator

Comment

Is there even a "'Configure the AndroidManifest for deployment to GearVR' checkbox in 4.7 Preview 5 or only at GIT master?

Using 4.7 Preview 5 and as soon as i set minimum SDK Level to 19 the app crashes with

E/dalvikvm(13238): JNI ERROR (app bug): accessed stale local reference 0xf2600029 (index 10 in a table of size 7)
        Reducing the SDK min Level to 9, starts the application, but without any GearVR integration (just as a normal android unrealengine app)

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by vOwl View Post
          Is there even a "'Configure the AndroidManifest for deployment to GearVR' checkbox in 4.7 Preview 5 or only at GIT master?

Using 4.7 Preview 5 and as soon as i set minimum SDK Level to 19 the app crashes with

Reducing the SDK min Level to 9, starts the application, but without any GearVR integration (just as a normal android unrealengine app)

Any ideas?
          There is a configure for Gear VR button on 4.7 built from sources and setting to version 19 is required. I don't think Android support is out of the box without compiling the engine to save space for most users, or at least that was the impression I got. Interestingly getting it on GearVR is the easy part, but to me it looks like all VR rendering has issues now not just GearVR based on my use of the FPS template

Comment

Thanks for the hints NobleSpoon; I will try them out and hopefully, hopefully this might work.

Comment

Ok, for the life of me, I just can't get those settings to appear. Funnily enough, those settings do appear in the Preview 5 version of 4.7 from Epic, so I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. Do I have re-download the whole source and compile again? Cause that is just such a huuge pain, specially given GitHUb's patchy servers. They just keep failing all the time. Someone help me out I need to have a demo ready by tomorrow

Comment

Right, some progress to report with Epic's 4.7 preview 5
                It actually deploys on the gear, but then the app crashes saying "Mobile has closed unexpectedly"
                I am trying it out on the Mobile Temple project, btw.

Any hints?

Comment

Originally posted by mdhananjay View Post
                  Ok, for the life of me, I just can't get those settings to appear. Funnily enough, those settings do appear in the Preview 5 version of 4.7 from Epic, so I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. Do I have re-download the whole source and compile again? Cause that is just such a huuge pain, specially given GitHUb's patchy servers. They just keep failing all the time. Someone help me out I need to have a demo ready by tomorrow
                  11. Go to Project Settings > Android > Advanced APK Packaging and add <meta-data android:name="com.samsung.android.vr.application.mode" android:value="vr_only" /> (To bad they automated the Manifest production)
                  12. In the same category, a few lines below, add android.permission.CAMERA to the Extra Permissions

That is what got them to show up for me in Preview 6.

Comment

Hey everyone if there is anyone having trouble with the gear vr integration I highly advise to use the instructions that JJ Hoesing posted and not the ones earlier most of those instructions have been streamlined with JJ's new build. You also need to use the 4.7 build from Github not the preview versions from the launcher.

Comment

So I'm testing out base template levels and adding assets to check at what point the fps drops. Currently a default level runs at 60 fps but is capped at 60. Does anybody know how to break this cap or is Gear vr limited to 60fps like dk2 is limited at 75fps?

Comment

Originally posted by LuisPsoih View Post
                        So I'm testing out base template levels and adding assets to check at what point the fps drops. Currently a default level runs at 60 fps but is capped at 60. Does anybody know how to break this cap or is Gear vr limited to 60fps like dk2 is limited at 75fps?
                        Gear VR is limited to 60FPS.

Comment

So on further investigation, I found that I have API 19 installed, which is linked to 4.4.2, but the Note 4 has 4.4.4 on it. Could this be the reason why the apps keep crashing? Do I need to update he API I have to API 20?

Comment

mdhananjay what was your installation process my note 4 runs on 4.4.4 and I have it on 19. Did you install your osig file into the build/android/java/asset directory. My project wasn't compiling because I had forgotten that. https://developer.oculus.com/tools/osig/

Comment

Hi Luis,
                              I have installed my osig file in the same folder in the engine directory. The thing is, I tried to launch the same app in normal mode on the note4 and it still failed saying that the app shut down unexpectedly. At this point I am simply we trying to launch Epics Mobile Temple demo, so I literally don't what's going wrong

Comment

did you build from source?

Comment

Working...
                                X