No announcement yet.

Gear VR support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried it myself, all I see are rainbow-like colors in each eye (starting with green on top) with each eye the image being off center with black borders. It seems like the head tracking is working because the colors move when I look around, but I can't see the actual environment. Not sure what's going on there.

I did see something flash for when installing in the dos box the first time about "/storage/emulated/legacy/UE4Game/UE4commandline.txt no such file or directory" not sure if that could be playing a role. I have a 128gb SDcard in here. Followed instructions to the letter.

Comment

Very exciting. Launching the game from the editor is working for me as well as packaging it.

Comment

Originally posted by JW View Post
        Very exciting. Launching the game from the editor is working for me as well as packaging it.
        Were there any extra steps not mentioned in the post that need to be done? I followed them exactly but I just see those weird colors, they change when I move my head around. Seems like everyone is getting this going but me.

Comment

Originally posted by haggler2 View Post
          Were there any extra steps not mentioned in the post that need to be done? I followed them exactly but I just see those weird colors, they change when I move my head around. Seems like everyone is getting this going but me.
          I didn't use a template, just a blank C++ project. Maybe give that a try. Save the default map that it opens up with into your game folder and then set that as the startup map.

Comment

Originally posted by JW View Post
            I didn't use a template, just a blank C++ project. Maybe give that a try. Save the default map that it opens up with into your game folder and then set that as the startup map.
            Just tried that blank template too, I had set the default startup map under maps and modes. I tried opening the phone from the GearVR while it was on to see better, it looks like the rift view is rendered 3 times with the rainbow colors. I'll see if I can take a picture.

Edit: It appears I'm on 4.8.0, could that be the problem?
            Last edited by haggler2; 02-01-2015, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Just tried that blank template too, I had set the default startup map under maps and modes. I tried opening the phone from the GearVR while it was on to see better, it looks like the rift view is rendered 3 times with the rainbow colors. I'll see if I can take a picture.

Edit: It appears I'm on 4.8.0, could that be the problem?
              Ah, I would guess that's the problem. I'm using 4.7.

Comment

Awesome it works, that was the problem. I just don't follow directions.. I wonder how to use the profiler in realtime with this since you have to unplug the wire to use the GearVR. I can see the asyncronous timewarp is taking effect due to dropped frames on the FPS template. (Default image quality also seem very blurry/lots of aliasing compared to Unity GearVR stuff)

Edit: I really like how the right thumb stick is disabled by default so you are forced to turn in a swivel chair. Good decision with that imo. VR Comfort mode turning with left bottom thumb stick might be a good addition for default alternative setup for the lazy though.

Edit2: It was the animated skyphere causing the choppiness, I also just temporarily did a level blueprint to execute 'stat fps' to see the framerate. Still trying to adjust clarity, screenpercentage in postprocess volume or 'hmd sp' doesn't appear to work at all or have any effect. Breaks the stereo if any number above or below 100 used.
                Last edited by haggler2; 02-01-2015, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Hello everyone, hello JJ,

I am having issues : No lens corrections, and the eyes are reversed L/R
                  Tracking is working

(on a side note) Fade in/fade out in matinee don't work and so are Particle trails...
                  Last edited by olivierJT; 02-02-2015, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I also got it working, but am seeing disappointing results. Aliasing, no shadows, 20fps, no transparency, no fade in/out effect, sluggish animations, no depth buffer stuff etc. Hoping this will be improved ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by sgehrman View Post
                      I also got it working, but am seeing disappointing results. Aliasing, no shadows, 20fps, no transparency, no fade in/out effect, sluggish animations, no depth buffer stuff etc. Hoping this will be improved ASAP.
                      Try to delete the skyphere if using FPS template, it helped a lot. Although I could not improve the aliasing, yes I also noticed lots of effects appear to be missing also.

Comment

I was able to package my own project into Gear but I'm getting the anti aliasing and low framerates that everyone else is getting. I'm sure the low framerate is due to the need to optimize but what's up with the anti aliasing? Is that on our end or is it an optimization of the sdk and is this a common issue that everyone that has the gear working in UE4 has?

Comment

Edit/Update: Tried the following, it didn't work for me.

Here are MarcelBlanck's instructions:

...It might be possible on preview, but I did it on the master branch. It should be possibe on promoted also, master was only a few commits ahead.

1. Make sure all Verions SDK, ANT, NDK are standard for UE4 and on PATH. So just let the the UnrealEngine/Engine/Extras/Android/tadp-2.0r8-windows.exe do it's job
                          2. Checkout the master or promoted branch
                          3. Open Visualstudio and build the whole Project with x64 | Development Editor
                          4. After that build one mor time but only UE4 by rightclicking on it and with target Android | Development
                          5. In the explorer go to UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\Oculus\LibOVRMobile\LibOVRMobile_041
                          6. Execute the InstallVRLib.bat
                          7. Open your Project with the build Engine Editor and make sure it has the Project Settings > Target Hardware to mobile and scalable, under Input select Default Touch Interface and clear it (we do not want that sticks)
                          8. Enable the GearVR plugin!
                          9. In UE4 Editor, I have set the Project Settings> Andoid SDK paths correctly to the one you build the engine with
                          10. Go to Project Settings > Android > APK Packaging and set Minimum SDK version to 19
                          11. Go to Project Settings > Android > Advanced APK Packaging and add <meta-data android:name="com.samsung.android.vr.application.mode" android:value="vr_only" /> (To bad they automated the Manifest production)
                          12. In the same category, a few lines below, add android.permission.CAMERA to the Extra Permissions
                          13. Check the rest of the settings is default, ES2 and arm 7 build selected
                          14. IMPORTANT - got to your Projects folder MyProject/Build/Android and create a folder named "assets" - put your downloaded generated Oculus signature file in that folder
                          15. Go to File > PAckage Project > Android > Android ETC2

DONE!

I still had a crash with the FPS Template, the android debug log said the Crosshair Texture was null... wtf. I deleted it in the project and I was able to run it, and look around with my GearVR! So make sure you check your adb logcat output and find the exact reason for a the problem if you get a black screen - Mostly it will be near words like Exception ot WINDEATH

If you want full Samsung controller support apply the patch in the original post here. I will now start to check what kind of events the build-in touchpad and Backkey throw. I also need to know how to access the GearVR Main Menu and how to go to Oculus Home. So still some work to do. Then the development fun can begin.

[/I]

Ok so I tried this approach but...
                          I have been trying to compile the master engine branch on 4.7 and am receiving the following errors:

Error 1 error C2039: 'ClusterIndex' : is not a member of 'FFoliageInstance' E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Source\Runtime\Foliage\Private\InstancedFoliage.cpp 1787 1 UE4

Error 2 error C2084: function 'void SAnimMontagePanel::OnAnimSegmentRemoved(int32,int32)' already has a body E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Source\Editor\Persona\Private\SAnimMontagePanel.cpp 672 1 UE4

Error 3 error C3861: 'ShouldUseGetDynamicMeshElements': identifier not found E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\ShadowSetup.cpp 1815 1 UE4

Error 4 error C2039: 'InitializeAutoStartupModules' : is not a member of 'FModuleManager' E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp 1881 1 UE4

Error 5 error : Failed to produce item: E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Foliage.dll E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR UE4

Error 6 error MSB3073: The command "....\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development" exited with code -1. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 38 5 UE4

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can fix this? I need to do this urgently...

Comment

Originally posted by mdhananjay View Post
                            Ok so I tried this approach but...
                            I have been trying to compile the master engine branch on 4.7 and am receiving the following errors:

Error 1 error C2039: 'ClusterIndex' : is not a member of 'FFoliageInstance' E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Source\Runtime\Foliage\Private\InstancedFoliage.cpp 1787 1 UE4

Error 2 error C2084: function 'void SAnimMontagePanel::OnAnimSegmentRemoved(int32,int32)' already has a body E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Source\Editor\Persona\Private\SAnimMontagePanel.cpp 672 1 UE4

Error 3 error C3861: 'ShouldUseGetDynamicMeshElements': identifier not found E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\ShadowSetup.cpp 1815 1 UE4

Error 4 error C2039: 'InitializeAutoStartupModules' : is not a member of 'FModuleManager' E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp 1881 1 UE4

Error 5 error : Failed to produce item: E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Foliage.dll E:\UnrealEngineSource\4.7\master\Engine\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\ERROR UE4

Error 6 error MSB3073: The command "....\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development" exited with code -1. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 38 5 UE4

Any ideas why this is happening and how I can fix this? I need to do this urgently...
                            The master branch and 4.7 aren't the same thing. You need to compile 4.7 following JJ Hoesing's steps at the third post from the bottom on page 1.

Comment

@mdhananjay Some of /u/MarcelBlanck's instructions ended up being incorrect. For me Master branch didn't work, so not sure how he got it going with that. Also appeared to be incorrect on where the Oculus signature file goes, (it actually goes in the main Unreal Engine directory under /Engine/Build/Android/Java) This is a lot more convenient location so you don't have to paste sig file separately into every project you're working on.

Follow JJ Hoesing's instructions instead, (although some of that could still be useful). Also yes need the 4.7 branch not the Master branch, you'll see it under the dropdown on Github page.

Edit: Also, not really sure why you would be getting that error. I think what you downloaded should have still compiled? Download 4.7 branch, make sure you ran the included Setup.bat first then the GenerateProjectFiles.bat afterwards. Then open the UE4.sln in Visual Studio. More detailed instructions on Epic Github page.
                              Last edited by haggler2; 02-05-2015, 06:30 AM.

Comment

How many polygons do you guys have in your scenes? Anyone has gotten it to work with half decent performance?

Comment

Working...
                                X