No announcement yet.

Gear VR support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Gear VR support is in the master and promoted branches if anyone wants to try it out and let us know how it goes!

Comment

No dice. I get all the way to launching the game on the Note 4 but then a message pops up:

Plugin 'GearVR' failed to load because module 'GearVR' could not be found. Please ensure the plugin is properly installed, otherwise consider disabling the plugin for this project.
      Any help?

Comment

Originally posted by sinoth View Post
        No dice. I get all the way to launching the game on the Note 4 but then a message pops up:

Any help?
        Were you trying to launch it on the Note 4 without it being connected to your GearVR?
        Klepto - Burglary Simulator

Comment

Ok, after a bit more digging I found out you need to do some manual plugin setup. Browse to the following folder:

Code:
          GITHUB_CLONE\Engine\Source\ThirdParty\Oculus\LibOVRMobile\LibOVRMobile_04
          Inside there is a readme you need to follow. Basically you are downloading the Mobile SDK, placing it in the folder, and running a .bat file to "install" it.

Even after following these instructions I get the same plugin failed to load message :/

Originally posted by NobleSpoon View Post
          Were you trying to launch it on the Note 4 without it being connected to your GearVR?
          This is something I'm confused about as well. You can't launch the app while connected to GearVR because the app doesn't show up in the Oculus Home app.

Other games in the store pop up a message that says "Insert device: To open this application, insert your device into your Gear VR." The Unreal app doesn't do this.

Comment

They just updated the Mobile SDK to 0.41 on master, maybe that will help fix some of your issues?

Also, in terms of launching, the 4.7 branch seems to have some new faster launching options including one that launches using your machine as a file server, maybe one of those would better serve you? I'm not sure if Oculus Home is the only way to launch or maybe Unreal can directly launch it remotely for you.

Comment

Originally posted by hesham View Post
              They just updated the Mobile SDK to 0.41 on master, maybe that will help fix some of your issues?

Also, in terms of launching, the 4.7 branch seems to have some new faster launching options including one that launches using your machine as a file server, maybe one of those would better serve you? I'm not sure if Oculus Home is the only way to launch or maybe Unreal can directly launch it remotely for you.
              I've been using the straight-to-device launcher option but that doesn't help with the plugin issue. My guess is that somehow the GearVR plugin is not being included in the Android build. It never makes it to the device. I don't understand the build system well enough to say for sure.

Comment

I've been using the straight-to-device launcher option but that doesn't help with the plugin issue. My guess is that somehow the GearVR plugin is not being included in the Android build. It never makes it to the device. I don't understand the build system well enough to say for sure.
                Did you generate the appropriate signature file for your device?

From the SDK doc "Device and Environment Setup":

II.1.3 What You Need To Run Your Own App - Oculus Signature file

Application signing is an important step in this process. In order to access the full functionality
                of the VR APIs, your app will require a temporary Oculus Signature file (osig).

When your app is ready for publication we will take care of this signing process for you.
                However, in order to test your app prior to store submission, you will need to generate a
                temporary developer signature file that is unique to your device. Please note that your app
                will not run properly unless it is built with the inclusion of this signature file

Always check our developer portal for the latest developments regarding app submission and
                guidelines at https://developer.oculus.com. We will continue to streamline this process to
                help simplify development with our SDK.
                Klepto - Burglary Simulator

Comment

Originally posted by NobleSpoon View Post
                  Did you generate the appropriate signature file for your device?

From the SDK doc "Device and Environment Setup":
                  I do have a signature generated, but I'm not sure what to do with it. The Oculus docs only cover Unity and native. Will see if I can inject it manually into the apk or something...

Comment

Ran into a couple of issues with 4.7 preview 2. First, when I try to build the sun temple template project as a test for GearVR, I choose android ETC2 and a window immediately pops up that says "Android Development Setup, You are missing some required components for Android game creation. Even if you have installed the Android SDK already, there may be some missing components or environment variable" It redirects to https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ted/index.html which are the exact directions I have followed.

I have all android SDK prerequisites loaded properly and am able to build Unity GearVR demos without issue, so not sure why I'm still receiving this message. I loaded every checkbox from the android SDK manager just to be sure.

Also, when I try to import the oculussig_ file into the project it informs me that it is an unknown extension. So even if I could get an APK to build I doubt it would launch without that file. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Edit:
                    I have tried going to edit > project settings > Platforms (on the left) > android, and configuring the project for android. I clicked open manifest and placed the Oculus signature file in a "assets" folder I created there. But I am still getting the popup window when trying to build an android ETC2 project that mentions "You are missing some required components"

Edit2: Ok so I edited the AndroidManifest.xml under project settings, Andoid, "open manifest folder". Added the line <meta-data android:name="com.samsung.android.vr.application.mode" android:value="vr_only"/> above the tag </application> in that XML file. I placed the oculus sig file in a folder called "assets" there. I also check boxed "Package .pak in APK" under project settings, packaging which got rid of the "You are missing some required components" error window. I was able to create an APK and launch it on the GearVR, but it would immediately go to a black screen then the Oculus Store homepage. If I set the screen orientation to Sensor Landscape before packaging I can see the content in the GearVR, but it is not in VR mode.. just 2D mode. Any ideas?
                    Last edited by haggler2; 01-12-2015, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by haggler2 View Post
                      Added the line <meta-data android:name="com.samsung.android.vr.application.mode" android:value="vr_only"/> above the tag </application> in that XML file.
                      Where did you get the info to try this?

Comment

Where did you get the info to try this?
                        I'm guessing from this parallel thread on the Oculus forums: https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19148
                        Last edited by druidsbane; 01-13-2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing from this parallel thread on the Oculus forums: https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19148
                          Yup. So I didn't realize there was a GearVR plugin I also had to activate (I grabbed it from Github) Now when I execute an app I get the black screen of death dvddoe was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Oul View Post
                            Will Google Cardboard support will be coming as a part of the 4.7 update with Gear VR?
                            ^^^ This! I would also like to know if any Google cardboard support will be coming for those of us who haven't pulled the trigger as of yet on GearVR

Comment

Originally posted by pinkBaldMonk3y View Post
                              ^^^ This! I would also like to know if any Google cardboard support will be coming for those of us who haven't pulled the trigger as of yet on GearVR
                              Second that! Many early adapters of VR will go for Cardboard.

Comment

Originally posted by kindfox View Post
                                Second that! Many early adapters of VR will go for Cardboard.
                                I consider myself an early VR adopter. I have Google Cardboard, DK1, DK2, and now GearVR. As you probably know GearVR is on a completely different level than Cardboard. Google Cardboard is actually pretty terrible as it stands right now. The latency is aweful, and I personally could care less if Epic added support for it really.

It's okay for getting a really rough idea of what VR is like if you are on a tight budget. But still pretty terrible nonetheless. Until google makes some big changes on the software side (and I don't think that would even be enough, probably need additional IMUs I imagine) I won't be supporting it personally, do not care if there are more potential sales for myself (because more users would have access to it). I won't support something I don't think is up to par. The only thing I care about is VR actually succeeding this time around, even more than myself making a few bucks riding the VR hype train. I will not play any part in potentially poisoning the VR well as I believe products like cardboard do. Hope this doesn't come off as too harsh, I just dislike cardboard.

Comment

Working...
                                X