Free VR Template (All Blueprints)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magneto View Post
    Do you know why "lock to hmd" is disabled as i believe that's supposed to be on by default? If it's no trouble will you be able to have a look and post a quick fix in meantime? No need for uploading a whole project just point us in the right direction on what needs changing so camera isn't offset way above head position would do. That is if it's a simple fix of course but no worries if not.

Edit: I have been trying to change things like eye height offset but hands were still not right location. Also changing camera position variables and subtracting a certain amount for testing. All i did there was bounce the view up and down every second. It may be a simple fix ill try to find but not knowing much about blueprints hopefully someone can help as this really is a great template.
    I set up the camera movement differently so that it would be easier to do snap rotations, but I'm getting a lot of feedback that it's causing too many problems.

I'm sorry to hear about how fragile the whole thing is (i.e. small changes break things). I am in the process of creating a new version from scratch that should be more robust in addition to having more features, but it's just one component in my current project so I'm not able to give the new template my full attention.

Please bear with me for the next few months as I get it figured out; hopefully you'll still be able to copy the modules that are working correctly and integrate them into your projects (I'd actually be interested to hear if anyone learned anything from these blueprints or used some of it in a project - that's valuable feedback as well).

Comment

Just downloaded the project and had a quick look at it - Pretty good! Everything seems to work and is functional enough, but Ive got some notes and a couple questions that I hope you wont mind Please excuse my manner of speech, I dont want to come off as too critical, just some friendly comments from one VR developer to another. Plus ive only had about 20 minutes to look at it, so im probably not understanding a few things.

- The hands are really big! I know the default hands in the VR template are also oversized, but these seem even bigger. Not a game-breaker, but changing this could be tricky...

- You have hand models in all of your pickups with animations set to blueprint but no animation blueprint set. Are you using these hand models just for reference or are you doing something like hiding the player's own hands and making these hands visible to get the grip locations etc correct? In gameplay it seemed that the player's hands were used, but the grip pose didnt line up with the grip of the gun so I dont know. If theyre not used, I would recommend removing them because extra components in actors can increase their load on cpu.

- Your BP_VR_Pawn actor has a LOT of variables in it and a lot of them are only set once and then forgotten about. Instead of having the player carry around all this data all the time, it'd be better to store it in the gamemode or player controller and have those values set when the player pawn is spawned. For your boolean values that the player does need to carry around, Id recommend putting them in a struct so that the pawn has 1 struct of booleans instead of 30+ individual booleans. As an example, 'OCHand Loc' is set once in the setup function and then not touched again (as far as i can see). You could just use a value in the node, but if its a piece of data you really want to keep as a variable, youd be better of capturing a reference to the player controller at begin play and then just call on it for these variables if and when you need them.

- Speaking of BP_VR_Pawn, theres a huge amount of functionality coming off Event Tick. I can see its all regulated by boolean checks, but its spaghetti and difficult to read. Despite the checks, the VR_Pawn is ticking as fast as it can, making these checks every single frame. The 'Snap Rotation' snippet for example, could be placed at the input event for the joystick instead of having the game check a boolean on every frame. Similarly with the 'Movement' snippet - there's all these boolean checks being made every frame, CanMove?, IsFalling?, CapsuleHit?, Seated? etc. These checks could be made on a button push instead of being checked for at every tick. For an axis, you could use a boolean check to see if the value is 0 (as in no tilt on the joystick) and if its not 0, make the checks and move/rotate the player.

Maybe Im off base with some of that, just some thoughts I had looking at it.

Apologies for long post, great work so far, it runs well and is very functional
      Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/bevd0g

Comment

Brilliant, well done! Thanks for taking the time to share, especially with those that are new to Unreal Engine and VR. This helps fast track productivity. Out of interest, have you accessed any live API data whilst in VR e.g. weather?

Comment

Wow thank you! looks exactly what i was looking for!!
          I will give it a try!

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to working my way through your setups. It's incredibly helpful for someone who's just starting out.

-Lee

Comment

Sorry for the late reply again. I'm keeping track of the feedback and should have it all fixed in the next version.... sometime this year. In the mean time, I recommend using this version as more of a tutorial than a template.

Comment

Originally posted by Incurian View Post
                Sorry for the late reply again. I'm keeping track of the feedback and should have it all fixed in the next version.... sometime this year. In the mean time, I recommend using this version as more of a tutorial than a template.
                Ah just saw you had posted and was really hoping... I know you've probably got better things to do than update this but it's a shame to see you say perhaps sometime this year?

I honestly think this is one of the best ready made templates currently available beating even most marketplace ones. You've just happened to come up with a solid base template that's blueprint only and a much more natural physical based one without needed navigation or an overly complex plugins to run. I'm sure i'm not the only one who would be happy to buy it if you just fixed the head lag issue and gave it a bit of polish.

You really made a great thing here for the community and im not sure you realise it... I just hope someone here could fix it for the rest of us?

Comment

Originally posted by Magneto View Post

Ah just saw you had posted and was really hoping... I know you've probably got better things to do than update this but it's a shame to see you say perhaps sometime this year?

I honestly think this is one of the best ready made templates currently available beating even most marketplace ones. You've just happened to come up with a solid base template that's blueprint only and a much more natural physical based one without needed navigation or an overly complex plugins to run. I'm sure i'm not the only one who would be happy to buy it if you just fixed the head lag issue and gave it a bit of polish.

You really made a great thing here for the community and im not sure you realise it... I just hope someone here could fix it for the rest of us?

If I thought there was an easy fix I would just do it. The way the camera transform relates to the actor is central to this template. This is a bad thing, not just because the camera has some issues (which I didn't manage to detect either because my hardware is different or because I've just become inured to VR sickness), but because it makes the entire template fragile and difficult to change. This is why I am working on a new one. If I do my job correctly, it will work better out of the box and be easier to modify.

I've only just begun working on it again. I feel bad that I've left a less-than-perfect project out there, but I was finishing up school, taking care of a new baby, and starting a new project. My new project has reached a point where I can focus on the pawn; I'm going to take those blueprints related to the pawn and give them away when they're ready. Hopefully that will only take a month or two, but I don't know. It's my number one priority at the moment, but it's possible that my circumstances will change and I'll have to get a real job and stop working on it entirely.

I hope you will be able to work on other aspects of your projects in the mean time.

Comment

Working...
                  X