Free VR Template (All Blueprints)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free VR Template (All Blueprints)

Howdy folks. Here's yet another VR Template. This one is free, made entirely with blueprints, and is aimed at newer developers.

There are two major features:
    1. Pawn Movement of every variety. Roomscale, teleportation, 360 locomotion (handles slopes, stairs, and obstacles gracefully), jumping, climbing, and vaulting.
    2. Interact-able item generation. Easily create items that can be picked up, thrown, attached, and even have sub-components that can be manipulated under variable constraints.
    You can download the project files here. (google drive link)
    Or the minimal zip file here.

You can view the video guide. (YouTube playlist)

You can ask for help in the discord channel.

Video of an in-game demonstration:
    Last edited by Incurian; 09-23-2020, 11:22 AM.

NICE!!!

Particularly love the Dr Evil chair

Comment

Thanks man, I'll have a look.

Comment

Hi mate, does it work with Steam Headset? I would like to use it in my projects.

Thanks
        PAT

Comment

It should work with everything. I've tested it with the Valve Index over SteamVR and the Oculus Quest (in standalone mode). Let me know if you run into any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Incurian View Post
            It should work with everything. I've tested it with the Valve Index over SteamVR and the Oculus Quest (in standalone mode). Let me know if you run into any issues.
            This is a really great template and just the sort of thing we've needed for sometime now. There have been others but most are either outdated or overly complicated for getting up and running quickly. Being purely blueprints is even better so thanks for this.

I'm currently waiting for the HP Reverb G2 to be released and can't wait to try it out. Hopefully it works ok with windows mixed reality headsets?

Have you checked out VR Content Examples?

https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ntent-examples

There's some good additions and things that would be great to have as a single vr pawn in there. It would be cool to be able to more easily turn on and off different features for a fps game.

Like recreating Half Life ALYX VR mechanics would be cool. Here's a quick guide on the weapon/tool selection menu and he has some other interesting features that might be worth looking at.

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw431nRPNAY
            Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwNMKK86nKE

Comment

Originally posted by Magneto View Post
              I'm currently waiting for the HP Reverb G2 to be released and can't wait to try it out. Hopefully it works ok with windows mixed reality headsets?
              As far as I know, nothing in this template is hardware-specific (though you may need to change the tracking origin and hand/motion-controller offset, which is simple), so it should support any VR systems to the same extent that Unreal Engine does.

There's some good additions and things that would be great to have as a single vr pawn in there. It would be cool to be able to more easily turn on and off different features for a fps game.
              That would be neat, but I'm working on other projects now and probably won't be adding much content to this one (with the exception of bug-fixes and perhaps updating to the next version of the engine), though I would be happy to link to any additions you create for it.

Comment

As far as I know, nothing in this template is hardware-specific (though you may need to change the tracking origin and hand/motion-controller offset, which is simple), so it should support any VR systems to the same extent that Unreal Engine does.

That would be neat, but I'm working on other projects now and probably won't be adding much content to this one (with the exception of bug-fixes and perhaps updating to the next version of the engine), though I would be happy to link to any additions you create for it.
                I don't have much blueprint skills beyond the very basics from following tutorials. I watched your videos but unsure if it has snap rotation aka comfort turning?

Does teleport act the same as the official one with thumbstick turning as i never liked that? How do you get back the teleport arc and landing visuals? Thanks.

Comment

I don't have much blueprint skills beyond the very basics from following tutorials. I watched your videos but unsure if it has snap rotation aka comfort turning?

Does teleport act the same as the official one with thumbstick turning as i never liked that? How do you get back the teleport arc and landing visuals? Thanks.
                  I recommend becoming more familiar with blueprints before continuing with this template.

It does have snap rotation.

Teleportation is activated by a button press, you can mess with that in the pawn blueprint.

The official template is included in a separate folder within this project, you can copy and paste over the teleportation visuals from there.

Comment

Thanks, nice complement to start with VR ;-)

Comment

I recommend becoming more familiar with blueprints before continuing with this template.

It does have snap rotation.

Teleportation is activated by a button press, you can mess with that in the pawn blueprint.

The official template is included in a separate folder within this project, you can copy and paste over the teleportation visuals from there.
                      I just got the chance to try your template and most of the features worked but it causes motion sickness due view lagging behind head position. I found out i need to enable lock to hmd on the camera. However turning that on causes the view to be well above the pawn which i've yet to figure out how to fix. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, this is really useful for getting started on VR development in Unreal!

Comment

Originally posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
                          NICE!!!

Particularly love the Dr Evil chair
                          Any chance you might be able to help with the lock to hmd issue above?

Comment

I just got the chance to try your template and most of the features worked but it causes motion sickness due view lagging behind head position. I found out i need to enable lock to hmd on the camera. However turning that on causes the view to be well above the pawn which i've yet to figure out how to fix. Any ideas? Thanks.
                            Sorry for the late response, and thank you for the feedback. I'll look into that, you're not the only person who's reported that issue (though I don't see it myself, possibly because I'm just too used to testing laggy stuff in VR).

I'm in the process of refactoring the whole thing, as I found I needed to make a lot of changes for multiplayer and zero-g stuff, and I decided to change the way item interaction works to cut down on the number of actors. It will be a month or two before v2 is out, but I'll have the anomalous HMD lag fixed as well.

Comment

Sorry for the late response, and thank you for the feedback. I'll look into that, you're not the only person who's reported that issue (though I don't see it myself, possibly because I'm just too used to testing laggy stuff in VR).

I'm in the process of refactoring the whole thing, as I found I needed to make a lot of changes for multiplayer and zero-g stuff, and I decided to change the way item interaction works to cut down on the number of actors. It will be a month or two before v2 is out, but I'll have the anomalous HMD lag fixed as well.
                              That's great to hear thanks for looking it's appreciated. I still think this is one of the best templates for me as it just works with all the features you'd expect for a fps template and without needing plugins.

Do you know why "lock to hmd" is disabled as i believe that's supposed to be on by default? If it's no trouble will you be able to have a look and post a quick fix in meantime? No need for uploading a whole project just point us in the right direction on what needs changing so camera isn't offset way above head position would do. That is if it's a simple fix of course but no worries if not.

Edit: I have been trying to change things like eye height offset but hands were still not right location. Also changing camera position variables and subtracting a certain amount for testing. All i did there was bounce the view up and down every second. It may be a simple fix ill try to find but not knowing much about blueprints hopefully someone can help as this really is a great template.
                              Last edited by Magneto; 12-08-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X