FPS drop while trying to capture with OBS, even with W10 Snipping Tool open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FPS drop while trying to capture with OBS, even with W10 Snipping Tool open

Hi! I'm working in a project where our goal eventually is to capture mixed reality footage. As for now, I'm just studying how this all would be done with very basic sandbox level.

The problem is that when I play my level in VR mode, and try to capture this footage with OBS (capturing specific window), the overall performance drops drastically, from 60 FPS to ~3 FPS (capturing the whole screen would not affect FPS though).

As I started to write some short documentation out of this, I noticed that the same would happen even with just Windows Snipping Tool: when Snipping Tool window is not active FPS is ~60 but as soon as I activate it FPS drops to 3-4.

Without any window capture (or Snipping Tool active) everything works fine.

What could cause this? Is it just that my hardware can't handle it (which I find a bit odd, yet obviously I'm by no means expert of this), or something else?

I'm using UE 4.25.1, and hardware-wise Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501V:
    CPU - Intel Core i7-7700HQ
    GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Max-Q (8GB GDDR5X)
    Memory - 16GB DDR4 SDRAM 2400 MHz

It's the issue of trying to render the game and capture to video on the same device, it's performance intensive. That's why when studios capture video or streamers capture video they use devices that are dedicated to that so that it doesn't take resources of the computer.

Comment

Working...
    X