Temperature Throttlling on New Laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature Throttlling on New Laptop?

We just purchased a new laptop build where we were using the Occulus Rift The laptop has updated drivers for the RTX2080, 16 gigs of ram and an overclocked 9th generation I7 processor all running on an M type SSD hardrive. Has anyone experienced any issues relative to Thermal Throttling? I was doing some research and found this bit of info:

Any laptop rocking a big video card and processor is going to have heat and noise issues. The manufacturers are not going to provide an adequate cooling solution that doesn't throttle under load. You would need too much copper and fan to wrap that up in a mobile package. You will get high fan speeds that sound like a jet engine. You are looking at a tdp in the 150w range. Undervolting is your friend.

Has anyone messed around with undervolting and if so, were you undervolting the GPU or the CPU? From what I understand, the CPU takes on load when the GPU can no longer take the load. If the CPU gets more load, there would be a good bit of heat so some people are undervolting the CPU. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

CPUs are designed to throttle. Some throttle more than others. Undervolting will help a little, but it will likely still throttle under heavy load.

Comment

I use throttle stop on my dev surfacebook 2, undervolting the cpu (8 thread i7) and gtx 1060. the cpu turbo speed is 4.2Ghz and with the voltage drop it can hold onto that for much longer than stock, however when everything is loaded to max, nothing short of better cooling can stop it from slowly crawling down to 2.2 ghz (base speed) and letting it cook for hours will slow it down to 800Mhz eventualy. undervolting just expands the length of the "power windows" ie: at stock it will run at full 4.2 for 30~ seconds befor starting to clime down, undervolted allows it to stay there for 50~ seconds at full load, under normal ops, that 30-50 sec window almost never triggers a slowdown as whatever is being calculated finishes and the cpu cools down within a few seconds and is ready to go again.
      I know at least on the SB2, there is a thermal sensor on the back that triggers real early to stop the unit from getting to what microsoft feel is too hot for the user to hold (call it anti burny hands), as i do all my dev at a desk i dont need that to trigger so i put a fan blowing over the part of the case that holds said sensor and that opens the power window to over 3-4 mins at 100% load (at that point it is the cpu heating up that makes it throttle.) also having the power plugged in will, on a lot of laptops, deliver more power to the device and boost performance (i drop around 20% on just batteries)

I have -100mv on CPU -100mv on Igpu and -80mv on Dgpu

also just incase you're unaware, laptops on laps/beds/beenbags what have you heat up much faster. table tops are the better option and a cooling pad will improve your cooling dramatically. im currently designing a watercooled pad for mine as the base holds the videocard and the screen holds the mobo/cpu, the fans all intake and exaust from the sides, so i have two large flat hot surfaces i can cool down with water.
      CEO of Prydetech

https://www.artstation.com/ixicalibur

Originally posted by ixicalibur
      Here you go, this is a link to every tutorial you could ever need plus instructions to access all the collective knowledge of mankind: [Super massive awesome link that every amazing game developer uses to instantly learn to be super awesome at making stuff]

Comment

Working...
      X