Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Foveated Rendering possible right now in 4.20 for HTC Vive (via mask or something similar)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Foveated Rendering possible right now in 4.20 for HTC Vive (via mask or something similar)

Hi there.

Foveated rendering it´s becoming a bit of a must, specially with the Vive Pro and it´s super resolution.

Is there a way to achieve foveated rendering in 4.20?

I know there is a plugin for Oculus and UE 4.19 and 4.20, but I develop for Vive and Vive Pro, so I need to do that for them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

only on headsets with eye tracking
    Artstation

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaWolF View Post
      only on headsets with eye tracking
      Without eye tracking you still can make a "fixed foveated rendering". Batman Arkham VR use something like this.

Comment

that seems like a terrible idea. would feel like looking through peep holes
        Artstation

Comment

AlphaWolF in fact, I think not, because if you look with your eyes inside your headset without moving your head you see things out of focus anyways becasue the lenses, so having a controlled foveated rendering to improve performance while reducing resolution in the blurred part of the lenses could be unnoticeable for the users because they cannot look through those parts of the lenses

Do you think could there be a way?

Cheers!

Comment

@PyroKun How can I do that?

Thanks!

Comment

Just bumping this up and pinging PiroKun
              Originally posted by PiroKun View Post

Without eye tracking you still can make a "fixed foveated rendering". Batman Arkham VR use something like this.

Comment

It's possible using the Oculus SDK for Unreal and the GO btw:

https://developer.oculus.com/documen...ts/unreal-ffr/

Would be great if Epic created a universal function for this for the other platforms...
                Headgear - VR/AR solutions

Comment

vblanco was able to port the dithered occlusion mask stuff from the Oculus branch to work on Vive pretty quickly

Comment

muchcharles where did you saw this?

Comment

We are still out of luck? No fixed foveated rendering to the center of the lens like in the Oculus SDK?

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                      X