Footsteps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Perfect thanks I’ll try that when I get home.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In an Event Tick, you can use Line Trace By Channel to trace down (negative Z direction) from the center of your Pawn to the underlying terrain. By breaking Hit Results, you will see there is a Phys Mat property. From that one you get Surface Type and then Switch among the different types of physical surfaces to make different sounds. It doesn't matter that the Pawn doesn't have a physical body because you use raycasting to "sample" the underlying material and get its physical surface type.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have been busy for the last few weeks so I only saw your reply now. I haven’t tried this yet but I will tonight. Any idea how I could have different sounding footsteps. One for grass one for wood and so on. I know how to set up the materials for different sounds but again that only works when an object physically touches the material not for a vr pawn. Someone said setting up a line trace but how would you get that to work with your bp?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Create two variables, Last Position as Vector and Distance as Float. On Pawn movement (or Event Tick), calculate GetActorLocation - Last Position. The length of this vector is the moved distance. Add it to Distance and check whether Distance > Stride Length. If so, make a foot step sound and subtract Stride Length from Distance, so you are ready for the next step. Of course this only makes sense with Thumbstick locomotion, not with teleportation.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by marcog72 View Post
    One way to do it would be to keep track of the distance the pawn has moved and produce a step sound every 50 cm or so. To make it more realistic, you should also consider the speed (higher speed = higher stride distance) and the physics / material of the terrain under the pawn.
    Any idea of how I could keep track of the distance traveled?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    One way to do it would be to keep track of the distance the pawn has moved and produce a step sound every 50 cm or so. To make it more realistic, you should also consider the speed (higher speed = higher stride distance) and the physics / material of the terrain under the pawn.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mandango View Post
    Which template you use it for VR?
    Weapon master vr from the marketplace.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Which template you use it for VR?

Leave a comment:

• started a topic [VIVE] Footsteps

Footsteps

Anyone have any idea how you would set up footstep sound in VR. All the tutorials I’ve seen use the walking animation in the player character but in vr you don’t use animation for the main player vr pawn.
Working...
X