Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there real support for ARKit at Epic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Chance for your input, it's good to have you taking care of community management for VR/AR development. I personally am working with 4.17 ARKit integration since to me it's more robust. Yeah I know, what am I saying, the thing is 4.18 integration improved some things, but at the same time is missing some vital points, which for instance prevents from doing some even simple alignment plane projection to spawn anything in the world (basing my tests on old 4.17 sample project).

As for compiling with mac, to anyone waiting for it to not be required on the engine side. It'd be easier for you just to get virtual machine with OSX running for compiling your stuff. Although in 4.17 it is quite bothersome when it comes to setting it up, then in 4.18 it doesn't bring any problems at all. Setting up virtual machine is easy as well, hook me up if you'd need any help with that.
    VR/AR Development [Portfolio | YouTube | LinkedIn]

Comment

Originally posted by Shin_ji View Post
      You can see somewhat complains on discord, other threads, answer hub. More of questions than complains tbh.

As far as I'm concerned it's not about complaining over something, it's more about getting some info and feedback as to how to handle stuff that's been developed by the guys at Epic. It is fresh that's correct, however ARKit been implemented into the engine around September afair and still it seems like it is indeed a pet project rather than proper integration.
      Don't get me wrong, I'm in the same boat. But as a long time beta-tester (Modo) i also have a heart for the devs. and learned that these guys have a hard time to get it all working =)
      Andy Probst
      Head of R&D / VR - Meilenstein Digital GmbH

Comment

Originally posted by andyxor View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm in the same boat. But as a long time beta-tester (Modo) i also have a heart for the devs. and learned that these guys have a hard time to get it all working =)
        Understandable, we are, in the end, developing software with the help of Epic's software after all. It is obvious it takes time to get all of it working properly and fully. That's why everyone should be working with what's currently available. Although communication needs to be present.
        VR/AR Development [Portfolio | YouTube | LinkedIn]

Comment

Originally posted by Shin_ji View Post
          Although communication needs to be present.
          Yes ! I'm 100% with you !
          Andy Probst
          Head of R&D / VR - Meilenstein Digital GmbH

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
            Hey there, sorry for the confusion here. We updated ARSample to work with the new ARKit and ARCore implementations in 4.18. YOu can download here here - https://cdn2.unrealengine.com/Unreal...3b0c454317.zip

Also, if you're looking to get more information about the project or our AR plans, check out the livestream that we recently had on the topic! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi1u287Kyhw
            Thank you for the link - this is actually the sample file I have been working from. Oddly, I am able to open the sample file, make no modifications, import my provision & certificate, setup remote build for a macincloud server, successfully package the project with no errors, and STILL when I install on my iphone and launch the app, it opens the UE4 splash screen, and them promptly closes with no error messages. Any thoughts on how to dissect what's going wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by rhizomelabs View Post

Thank you for the link - this is actually the sample file I have been working from. Oddly, I am able to open the sample file, make no modifications, import my provision & certificate, setup remote build for a macincloud server, successfully package the project with no errors, and STILL when I install on my iphone and launch the app, it opens the UE4 splash screen, and them promptly closes with no error messages. Any thoughts on how to dissect what's going wrong?
              What iOS are you using? and what model iPhone? I see ARKit should work with any device running iOS 11 beta (and presumably above) but I can't speak from experience if this is true or not.
              Modeller and many other things at Visualisation One

Comment

Originally posted by CGough View Post

What iOS are you using? and what model iPhone? I see ARKit should work with any device running iOS 11 beta (and presumably above) but I can't speak from experience if this is true or not.
                Using i0S 11 on an iphone 6s which is supposed to be supported, and does run other iOS Arkit apps like Ikea Place.

Comment

rhizomelabs I've had this recently! Are your material settings in Project Settings - IOS set to a "Metal" that your iPhone6 can support?

Also your Anti aliasing settings in Project Settings - Engine - Mobile, try lowering your Mobile MSAA, on my iPad Pro I can't go higher than 4x MSAA without the app doing exactly what you're having.

Comment

Is there even any way to get proper shadows? I know that Unreal has problems with casting shadows on translucent materials, but there's a NEED for soft shadows that are real-time in AR.
                    Has anyone had any sort of progress on this? I would love some pointers on how to achieve this.

Comment

Apple supposedly has a hundred folks working on pushing forward AR - how many people does Epic have on it?

Comment

Elliot_MM I've seen some videos of ARCore having dynamic lighting and shadows from what it reads from the camera, other than that I don't know about ARKit and it's shadows.

Comment

Yeah, still looking for a solution for shadows

Comment

Originally posted by Elliot_MM View Post
                            Is there even any way to get proper shadows? I know that Unreal has problems with casting shadows on translucent materials, but there's a NEED for soft shadows that are real-time in AR.
                            Has anyone had any sort of progress on this? I would love some pointers on how to achieve this.
                            You should be able to apply an unlit material using a similar setup as the ARKitCameraMaterial ("AppleARKit Content" section when you switch on engine content) uses to any geometry you wont to have as a shadow catcher or occluder. Thats the way I've done it on previous AR projects using Vuforia and way back pointcloud.

I wish Oculus hadn't bought pointcloud and shelved it, that tech was never perfect but it had stable SLAM on much lower specs than either ARKit or ARCore and that was years ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X