ARCore/ARKit SDK Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARCore/ARKit SDK Updates

I've been creating a small AR app for both Android and iPhone, but have been focusing my development on Android. I am currently using a Google Pixel XL. The company I work for has a client that is very interested in having an AR app created using the technology but we have one major concern. The amount of devices capable of using, at least, ARCore is limited to the Google Pixel line, Pixel 2 line, and the Samsung Galaxy S8. I understand that ARCore is still in SDK Developer preview, but this preview has been built into UE4.18. I was curious if anyone knew how Epic will update the SDK for ARCore and ARKit with updates are available? Will there be subversion updates (IE: 4.18.1) or will it most likely be released in 4.19? This is kind of important because we cannot give a client an app that works on 5 phones total. Most people that would use this app would have a multitude of different phones, including iPhones, so I want to make sure as many people can use it as possible. Thanks!

This is a great question that I would love to get a response as well. Anyone from Epic have any insights into how updates to the integrated SDKs for ARKit and ARCore will be rolled out?

Comment

Looks like Google added ARCore to the Play Store. I'm not sure it has been updated or not but I'm wondering if this gets updated will that affect our UE4 projects?

Comment

As I know, usually such a big updates with final releases coming only on full releases. You should wait for 4.19 to see the changes. This article may help:
        https://skarredghost.com/2017/11/02/...-arcoreforall/

Comment

Hi, here is the latest update on ARCore if you are interested: https://blog.google/products/google-...per-preview-2/

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Pang View Post
            Hi, here is the latest update on ARCore if you are interested: https://blog.google/products/google-...per-preview-2/
            Thanks! I noticed that today and came here to post about it. I believe how it will be updated is through Google not Unreal. To get ARCore to work, you need to have the arcore-service apk installed on your device. I had an update for it on the play store and noticed the download link for that now is for developer preview 2 as well. So, I can't confirm, but I believe the actual ARCore updates will come in the form of the service app updating through Google and not through any UE4 update or hotfix.

Comment

Originally posted by das8track View Post

Thanks! I noticed that today and came here to post about it. I believe how it will be updated is through Google not Unreal. To get ARCore to work, you need to have the arcore-service apk installed on your device. I had an update for it on the play store and noticed the download link for that now is for developer preview 2 as well. So, I can't confirm, but I believe the actual ARCore updates will come in the form of the service app updating through Google and not through any UE4 update or hotfix.
              There are three parts of Google's ARCore developer preview 2 release:

1. The new arcore-preview2.apk. (https://github.com/google-ar/arcore-...e-preview2.apk)
              2. The new version of Google ARCore plugin that compatible with the new arcore-preview2 apk. This currently only in our Unreal Engine fork repo(https://github.com/google-ar-unreal/UnrealEngine) right now and will be in Epic's future mainline release.
              3. The updated HelloAR Unreal project that work with developer preview 2 release.(https://github.com/google-ar/arcore-unreal-sdk)

So to use ARCore developer preview2 in your project, you need to update both the arcore-preview2.ap and the Unreal GoogleARCore plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by das8track View Post
                I've been creating a small AR app for both Android and iPhone, but have been focusing my development on Android. I am currently using a Google Pixel XL. The company I work for has a client that is very interested in having an AR app created using the technology but we have one major concern. The amount of devices capable of using, at least, ARCore is limited to the Google Pixel line, Pixel 2 line, and the Samsung Galaxy S8. I understand that ARCore is still in SDK Developer preview, but this preview has been built into UE4.18. I was curious if anyone knew how Epic will update the SDK for ARCore and ARKit with updates are available? Will there be subversion updates (IE: 4.18.1) or will it most likely be released in 4.19? This is kind of important because we cannot give a client an app that works on 5 phones total. Most people that would use this app would have a multitude of different phones, including iPhones, so I want to make sure as many people can use it as possible. Thanks!
                Hey there! Glad to see so many people diving into AR development with UE4. Here's a little insight into our plan:
                • In 4.19, you'll find improved support for ARKit and a full implementation of the ARCore Developer Preview 2 mentioned by Bo above (thanks for dropping the info, Bo!)
                • As we do with most platform types, we're currently building out a robust API that will ease cross-platform development by unifying the workflows of interacting with the platform SDKs. This will first show up in 4.19 and get updates going forward.
                • Also with 4.19, we're looking to release a handheld AR Template in the editor that will come preconfigured with examples of plane detection, object spawning, uses of light estimation, pass thru camera, debug information and more.
                • Docs will be coming online in the 4.19 timeframe as well as our implementation will be a bit more concrete.
                • We're currently working on adding support for Apple's face recognition tech on the iPhone X, though the timeframe on delivery there is still a little uncertain.
                • Going forward, we'll continue to add features and functionality as they come online at the platform SDK as we do with other integrations into the engine.
                The goal is to help you get moving, iterating and shipping with as little friction as possible. We're big fans of these platforms and can't wait to see more of what you all are able to do with them
                Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post

Hey there! Glad to see so many people diving into AR development with UE4. Here's a little insight into our plan:
                  • In 4.19, you'll find improved support for ARKit and a full implementation of the ARCore Developer Preview 2 mentioned by Bo above (thanks for dropping the info, Bo!)
                  • As we do with most platform types, we're currently building out a robust API that will ease cross-platform development by unifying the workflows of interacting with the platform SDKs. This will first show up in 4.19 and get updates going forward.
                  • Also with 4.19, we're looking to release a handheld AR Template in the editor that will come preconfigured with examples of plane detection, object spawning, uses of light estimation, pass thru camera, debug information and more.
                  • Docs will be coming online in the 4.19 timeframe as well as our implementation will be a bit more concrete.
                  • We're currently working on adding support for Apple's face recognition tech on the iPhone X, though the timeframe on delivery there is still a little uncertain.
                  • Going forward, we'll continue to add features and functionality as they come online at the platform SDK as we do with other integrations into the engine.
                  The goal is to help you get moving, iterating and shipping with as little friction as possible. We're big fans of these platforms and can't wait to see more of what you all are able to do with them
                  Sounds great Chance, is there any ETA for 4.19?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by darinsmyth View Post

Sounds great Chance, is there any ETA for 4.19?

Thanks
                    Hoping to have preview out within a couple weeks. Keep an eye out!
                    Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Hi Chance Ivey is ACore Preview 2 in 4.19P1 already? Or only coming in a later preview?
                      Headgear - VR/AR solutions

Comment

It seems like they have skipped ArCore Preview 2 from 15 December 2017 from google, I don't see any notes about this function in 4.19 Preview (from 16 Janyary 2018)

Comment

Correct - AR unification and ARCore DP2 will be in 4.19 Preview 2 next week (that's the plan at least!)
                          Let's Connect [Twitter]

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
                            Correct - AR unification and ARCore DP2 will be in 4.19 Preview 2 next week (that's the plan at least!)
                            Chance,

Any update on the timing for ARKit ARFace support? I see work going on in the VRDev branch and have looked at it a bit. But unclear how to use what is there without some basic documentation.

We are currently (painfully) prototyping stuff in "that other engine" where we need to support the FaceKit lighting and depth texture stuff.

It would be very useful if as part of the Facekit integration, beyond the facial blend activation numbers that look like is really the focus right now, the SH and dominant lighting stuff came through as well as access to the depth texture. We are doing a lot of cool stuff with that info and want to bring it into Unreal.

Comment

Anyone else able to get the updated preview 2 version of the "Unreal HelloAR sample project" to build in 4.19 P2 ? It looks like P2 has preview 2 but I always get "HelloARUnreal could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually."
                              Trying with the 4.19P2 binary

more info if trying to compile in Visual Studio:

Error Unrecognized type 'UGoogleARCorePlane' - type must be a UCLASS, USTRUCT or UENUM HelloARUnreal U:\UnrealEngine\Plugins\ARCore\Preview 2\arcore-unreal-sdk-master\HelloARSample\Source\HelloARUnreal\Public\ARPlaneActor.h 37

Headgear - VR/AR solutions

Comment

Working...
                              X