Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FPS in laptop

Hello,

have anyone tried to run a Unreal demo scene on oculus rift in a laptop with good FPS?
    I want to a buy a laptop to work with unreal /oculus but I'm not sure that there is a laptop model that can handle it.

thanks!

You'll need one with a dedicated graphics card, there's laptops like that out there but most laptops use Intel graphics which is low-powered. You'll have to do a search but there's options like Razer, MSI, Acer, Dell. Many manufacturers out there that make laptops with a good graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      You'll need one with a dedicated graphics card, there's laptops like that out there but most laptops use Intel graphics which is low-powered. You'll have to do a search but there's options like Razer, MSI, Acer, Dell. Many manufacturers out there that make laptops with a good graphics card.
      PLEASE, do not buy a "Razer", "Acer" or "Dell" computer for high end graphics and/or CPU usage. If you want good, powerful gaming laptops, you want a Clevo rebrander (like Sager or Mythlogic, or Eurocom for the UK, or mysn for various places in europe), or MSI, or Alienware. Maybe ASUS, but I don't think their cooling is up to par these days, so I won't recommend them in my top 3.

Anyway, yes, I'm sure it's possible to use an Occulus Rift with a laptop with good FPS. My clevo actually uses nVidia's Stereoscopic 3D vision and plays games just fine; Occulus rift should not be much more demanding than that. If you want more advice on the best laptops to get, I suggest signing up at forum.notebookreview.com and doing a little research on good laptops. Remember the manufacturers I listed ^_^.
      Mythlogic Nyx 3713-Black 3D | i7-4800MQ | 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz | GTX 780M SLI | 128GB Plextor M5M SSD | Samsung PM841 512GB SSD | 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | Intel 7260ac | 120Hz Matte screen

The SLI information guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/...rmation-guide/

Comment

Originally posted by D2ultima View Post
        Maybe ASUS, but I don't think their cooling is up to par these days, so I won't recommend them in my top 3.
        I'm on an ASUS laptop. While the performance is incredible compared to others, the cooling sucks. Laptop just shuts down after using UE4 for like 30 mins. Other games I can play around for 3 hours before this happens. I'm forced to use on-board intel gfx processor to keep temps below 90

Comment

Note that Oculus isn't supporting laptops at the moment:

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forum...rt=100#p173760

"but they're working on it".

Comment

Working...
          X