Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lock 3d menu with oculus rift

Hello,

I wanted to ask if anyone had been in the same situation and which solution you adopted:

I have a 3d menu (made of highlightable 3d meshes) , problem is when I start the demo and UE4 detects the oculus (dk2) I can move around and check the menu (the player is locked ,so it's only the head movements) with the headset, I find this cool but a little annoying, so I wanted to lock the headset camera transforms to the meshes so that the menu always follows like a HUD, do you have any suggestions for this ? I was thinking about orient-contraint the meshes to the camera (what you would normally do in a 3d program) but I 'm not sure of the setup in the blueprints. Alternatively maybe disable the oculus input as long as the menu is active?

Thank you

Hi,

locking the view in Oculus Rift is always a bad idea and goes against any recommendations; users would become sick.
    [Gamedev programmer at Darewise (Paris) - We are hiring]
    UE4 Git LFS 2.x Source Control Plugin 2.12-beta for UE4.22 - (v1 integrated by default in Beta status since UE4.7)
    UE4 Plastic SCM Source Control Plugin (1.4.5 for UE4.22)

Comment

Originally posted by SRombauts View Post
      Hi,

locking the view in Oculus Rift is always a bad idea and goes against any recommendations; users would become sick.
      Hi,

sorry I was not clear, I meant constraint the menu to the view, so you are free to move your head, but the menu is always facing you....

mrn

Comment

Yeah, but it's mostly the same problem; as soon as your menus occupy to much of the screen space, the should certainly not remained lock to your view. It's simply not what you brain is expecting...

If your menus are very small and simple, like a HUD, then why not.

Compare menus in existing demos/games to get a feeling of this. For instance compare:
        - Titans of Space (3D menus)
        - Lunar Flight (in world cockpit, and 3D menus, but some loading screen are fixed and thus 'brocken')
        - Tuscany and Ocean Rift (fixed small HUD when pressing some config keys)
        - (cannot think of real fixed menus)
        [Gamedev programmer at Darewise (Paris) - We are hiring]
        UE4 Git LFS 2.x Source Control Plugin 2.12-beta for UE4.22 - (v1 integrated by default in Beta status since UE4.7)
        UE4 Plastic SCM Source Control Plugin (1.4.5 for UE4.22)

Comment

Originally posted by mrnitro View Post
          Hi,

sorry I was not clear, I meant constraint the menu to the view, so you are free to move your head, but the menu is always facing you....

mrn
          go to player blueprint, in the components sections add camera(if its not there already), then add static mesh (your menu). To have menu always folowing the head movement(otherwise it will only move horizontal) attach static mesh to the camera.

Comment

Working...
          X