Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance hit and odd stuttering when compared to SteamVR in 4.17?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've just started seeing this issue with our project after a 4.17 update as well. +1 for a fix sooner than 4.19.

Comment

Chiming in here, @jimsnomis, I've also found that that setting vr.oculus Render thread or whatever to 0 got ride of my serious stutter. Any idea what this does?
      vr and new media installations
      www.samuelwalker.xyz

Comment

@artoculon I think it runs the HMD tracking on a different thread so it's no longer calculated independently. It looks like otherwise when performance is stressed, the HMD tracking stutters.

Seems to me that the performance is still worse than 4.16.2 even when changing the thread setting though, it just doesn't stutter.
        Last edited by jimsnomis; 09-22-2017, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by artoculon View Post
          Chiming in here, @jimsnomis, I've also found that that setting vr.oculus Render thread or whatever to 0 got ride of my serious stutter. Any idea what this does?
          Thanks! That really helped getting rid of most of the stutters. Although It's still not as smooth as 4.16.2 !
          I think we need some proper documentation about these new oculus commands and what settings are suggested to set at Begin Play.
          ALLLESSS.com

Comment

alllesss https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealE...UE4-Oculus.txt is the doc I've used.

Comment

I just pulled and built with the latest changes from the Oculus Unreal fork - https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine on the 4.17 branch - there was an update 8 days ago. All seems back to normal to me, same as 4.16.2. I have changed all my supersampling stuff to set vr.oculus.PixelDensity.adaptive off and hmd vr.oculus.PixelDensity between 0.5 and 2.

Comment

jimsnomis Well that's good news. I hope this will be fixed in 4.18. You're right that there's still some stutter even with RenderThread set to 0. It's less perceptible but still there.
                www.samuelwalker.xyz

Comment

Hey guys, just posted on AnswerHub relating to my issue (linked). I'm having a specific problem with Alembic's Geometry Cache (Experimental), and performance in Oculus. The stutter is happening specifically when using varying vertex count mesh (a fluid simulation), and doesn't actually happen with non-varying vertex count animation. So I'm wondering - because I turn off RenderThread through console command, is there something to do with a mesh updating every frame that causes this stutter and messes with the RenderThread?

Eep.
                  www.samuelwalker.xyz

Comment

Well hot ****. Just tested same assets in 4.15 and I don't see any stutter whatsoever, supporting some of the theorizing going on in this thread that this is specific to 4.17.
                    www.samuelwalker.xyz

Comment

Is this still a problem in 4.18?

Comment

Hi, I also have got bad performance issues in 4.17.2 as compared to in my case 4.15.

None of the suggested fixes in this topic have worked for me.

I think it is so weird that such an issue can come up through an update and is so hard to fix or is not being fixed more quickly. It is a critical problem, isn't it? Are other developers not affected and is this a problem for just the few of us?

Anyways, if anyone has found new solution options or information on whether the issue has been identified by epic and is being worked on I'd love to hear about them :-)

Comment

I've been developing a project with vive for the last few months - all our vives are in use this week so I've plugged in an Oculus and have spent the entire day trying to get it to run - performance is sub 45fps, and latency even worse. I've never had any issue developing with vive so really at a loss why we are seeing this kind of thing with Oculus, on 4.18 and with the latest software.
                          Felix Dodd
                          Director
                          A-VR

Comment

One element that comes to mind is that until 4.16 UE4 was using the old Oculus Library (LibOVR, split into multiple components for HMD, Input, Audio, etc.) while starting with 4.17 it is using the new integrated Oculus Plugin (OVRPlugin). I wonder if there is a correlation between this change and the performance issues.
                            CTO | Head of VR Development - Visit us at http://humanxr.com
                            My UE4 Tutorials (mostly VR): https://goo.gl/GUvDyV

Comment

Originally posted by deflix73 View Post
                              I've been developing a project with vive for the last few months - all our vives are in use this week so I've plugged in an Oculus and have spent the entire day trying to get it to run - performance is sub 45fps, and latency even worse. I've never had any issue developing with vive so really at a loss why we are seeing this kind of thing with Oculus, on 4.18 and with the latest software.
                              Can you tell if you are CPU bound or GPU bound?
                              CTO | Head of VR Development - Visit us at http://humanxr.com
                              My UE4 Tutorials (mostly VR): https://goo.gl/GUvDyV

Comment

Originally posted by vr_marco View Post

Can you tell if you are CPU bound or GPU bound?
                                stat unit shows poor performance across the board; It feels like a fault as even a test scene ( box and plane fully static) runs like a slide show.
                                Felix Dodd
                                Director
                                A-VR

Comment

Working...
                                X