Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Access for ARKit for iOS available now on GitHub

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
    We're currently working up a blog on how to get moving with the implementation that is in 4.17 and expect it to be out this next week. Thanks for hanging in there with us in these super early days!
    Thanks for the update.

    I am trying as hard as I can to get up and running and would love a simple step-by-step to recreate the ARSample project or any basic sample project for that matter. trying to present some spec AR tech at work this weekend.

    Here is what I've done so far to create an AR project:

    My build crashes on launch of the app (on iPhone 7Plus)
    I have the Mobile starter content project. (The project with the Table and two chairs.)
    I removed the standard sky sphere and replaced it with a new SM_SkySphere
    I then build a new texture material using AppleARKitCameraTexture in a TextureSample Node feeding the BaseColor property of the Root Material node
    I apply this material to the SM_SkySphere material property.
    I Added AppleARKitCameraActor and made it a child of the PlayerStart Actor (Don't know if this is an issue)
    I deleted the atmospheric fog

    Other that that i kept the Mobile starter project as is.

    I changed the project settings to use Metal 1.2 renderer as well as setting the iOS target to 11.0. My phone is using the latest iOS 11 beta.
    Am I missing something?

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Jeff Lander View Post
      Anadin,

      Where was the actual scene filein that ARSample uproject? I don't see any scene.

      https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...ree/dev-ar-kit

      https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...mples/ARSample

      UPDATE: I am making progress creating it from scratch based on info from this thread. But the lack of documentation for how to use the plugin or in the code is pretty frustrating.
      https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...11-ARkit/page2

      UPDATE UPDATE:
      I did figure out how to get the content. You need to run the Setup.bat on the ARKit branch for github. It will pull down the content. It is not in the repo directly that I can see. I will deconstruct how those are made so we can get some explanation of what all those components do.
      If you make any more headway I would love to find out what you did to recreate the project. I have posted the steps I've done here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post749252

      Still can't figure it out.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
        Hey all, glad to see so many people are diving into the ARKit integration!

        We did remove the branch from GitHub for now, as 4.17 has it integrated and offers much more current support for ARKit. It's crashing in 4.17 for a number of folks due to the use of a different version of Metal. As is the case with any shiny new tech, implementation on both sides (ARKit API and UE4) is evolving very rapidly and we anticipate a few inevitable changes from now until 4.18 as iOS 11 comes out of beta and rolls out to devices everywhere.

        We're currently working up a blog on how to get moving with the implementation that is in 4.17 and expect it to be out this next week. Thanks for hanging in there with us in these super early days!
        Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to play around with ARKit.

        Is full binary support coming with 4.18 or 4.19 (ie. deploying from windows with bp only) ?
        Michael Hegemann - https://twitter.com/HegiDev

        Marketplace Content
        Easy Multi Save
        Mobile Touch Navigation
        Retro 3D Toolkit

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by shatieshack78 View Post
          If you make any more headway I would love to find out what you did to recreate the project. I have posted the steps I've done here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post749252

          Still can't figure it out.
          It sounds like they will be adding a tutorial this week. But I found that the sample was complicated enough that you can't really hope to recreate it. The camera material alone is very complicated.

          So here is the content project from GitHub that worked pretty well for me. The only bug I have is the device tends to start oriented upside down though will eventually right itself as I listed in another post.

          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_i...ew?usp=sharing

          Will remove once they release a working tutorial.
          Attached Files

          Comment


            #35
            Thank you SOOOO much for this!!

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by Jeff Lander View Post
              It sounds like they will be adding a tutorial this week. But I found that the sample was complicated enough that you can't really hope to recreate it. The camera material alone is very complicated.

              So here is the content project from GitHub that worked pretty well for me. The only bug I have is the device tends to start oriented upside down though will eventually right itself as I listed in another post.

              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_i...ew?usp=sharing

              Will remove once they release a working tutorial.
              Hi Jeff, thanks so much for posting the sample and sharing it via google drive.
              I got everything to compile and remote build on a windows machine/mac mini over ssh (4.17 release) - but then I tried to deploy it to an iPhone 6S and got the error that the iOS version was too low.

              I found the fix for this in this thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post748606
              After I realized that I needed also to recompile the UnrealBuildTool.exe (just open UnrealBuildTool.csproj in Visual Studio and build it) I could deploy the ipa on my iPhone through iTunes.

              Now the next, hopefully last issue is that I only see a black screen and small blue flashes every now and then.
              Anyone experiencing the same issue and knows how to fix this?

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by patrick.5thwall View Post
                Now the next, hopefully last issue is that I only see a black screen and small blue flashes every now and then.
                Anyone experiencing the same issue and knows how to fix this?
                I too have been experiencing this issue. Hopefully it's the last one I experience.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Hello

                  My github and my unreal account are well connected but I cannot access to the project. Is it still online ?
                  Or is there another example project I can find to help me begin with ARkit ?

                  thanks

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
                    Hey all, glad to see so many people are diving into the ARKit integration!

                    We did remove the branch from GitHub for now, as 4.17 has it integrated and offers much more current support for ARKit. It's crashing in 4.17 for a number of folks due to the use of a different version of Metal. As is the case with any shiny new tech, implementation on both sides (ARKit API and UE4) is evolving very rapidly and we anticipate a few inevitable changes from now until 4.18 as iOS 11 comes out of beta and rolls out to devices everywhere.

                    We're currently working up a blog on how to get moving with the implementation that is in 4.17 and expect it to be out this next week. Thanks for hanging in there with us in these super early days!
                    Originally posted by 9Oeufs View Post
                    Hello

                    My github and my unreal account are well connected but I cannot access to the project. Is it still online ?
                    Or is there another example project I can find to help me begin with ARkit ?

                    thanks
                    We are waiting for the tutorial this week. Maybe there was some phone crashes and they removed the sample...

                    Comment


                      #40
                      BTW, this community-made video outlines the process pretty well. Check it out!
                      Let's Connect [Twitter]

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Hi [MENTION=14973]Chance Ivey[/MENTION],
                        That video is awesome, but I'm still experiencing lighting and material issues. The problem happens whether I follow the ARSample approach or the one described in the video.
                        More info on the issue here. I think this might still be related to the shader compilation bugs on iMacs with NVidia graphics cards.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Phenome-freaking-al! Thank you for that video!! Any more would be very welcome. Finally on to new problems :-)

                          [MENTION=716774]Sheado[/MENTION] -> I am able to confirm that following the video steps on my machine worked! We have similar Macs with NVidia GPUs (Mid-2012, Intel HD 4000/Nvidia GT 650M). OSX 10.12.6, XCode 9 Beta 5, IOS 11 Beta 5, iPhone 7 Plus, UE4 Binary 4.17.1, Launch to connected device. I added in some starter mannequins and a box with multiple materials - the lighting and rendering worked well.

                          My issues now have to do with the "sticking/drifting" of objects, which was hinted at in the video as a scaling issue. Or maybe it's too dark to track. Haven't explored much further yet - still giddy that the dang thing works!
                          Last edited by Burly; 08-20-2017, 11:06 AM.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            That video is great and definitely helped me understand the initial steps to creating an ARKit driven scene. I'm running into a weird CodeSign issue and can't build to device though so I can't test or play any further..

                            The pertinent part of output log seems to be:

                            LogPlayLevel: env: === BUILD TARGET ARStarter OF PROJECT ARStarter WITH CONFIGURATION Development ===
                            LogPlayLevel: env:
                            LogPlayLevel: env: Check dependencies
                            LogPlayLevel: env: Code Signing Error: Provisioning profile "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: *" is Xcode managed, but signing settings require a manually managed profile.
                            LogPlayLevel: env: Code Signing Error: Code signing is required for product type 'Application' in SDK 'iOS 11.0'
                            LogPlayLevel: env:
                            LogPlayLevel: env: ** BUILD FAILED **
                            LogPlayLevel: env:
                            LogPlayLevel: env:
                            LogPlayLevel: env: The following build commands failed:
                            LogPlayLevel: env: Check dependencies
                            LogPlayLevel: env: (1 failure)
                            LogPlayLevel: CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 5.710732s to run env, ExitCode=65
                            LogPlayLevel: Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception: AutomationTool.AutomationException: CodeSign Failed
                            LogPlayLevel: at IOSPlatform.CodeSign (System.String BaseDirectory, System.String GameName, UnrealBuildTool.FileReference RawProjectPath, UnrealTargetConfiguration TargetConfig, System.String LocalRoot, System.String ProjectName, System.String ProjectDirectory, Boolean IsCode, Boolean Distribution, System.String Provision, System.String Certificate, System
                            .String Team, Boolean bAutomaticSigning, System.String SchemeName, System.String SchemeConfiguration) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
                            In my Project Settings -> Platforms - iOS settings both my provision and cert are green so I'm not sure what's up... Anyone have a clue or dealt with this before? Thanks!

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by matthewsimo View Post
                              That video is great and definitely helped me understand the initial steps to creating an ARKit driven scene. I'm running into a weird CodeSign issue and can't build to device though so I can't test or play any further..

                              The pertinent part of output log seems to be:



                              In my Project Settings -> Platforms - iOS settings both my provision and cert are green so I'm not sure what's up... Anyone have a clue or dealt with this before? Thanks!

                              Interesting. Can you deploy a blank project directly from Xcode on those same credentials? They may be valid in general but not set up for that device
                              Let's Connect [Twitter]

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Chance Ivey View Post
                                Interesting. Can you deploy a blank project directly from Xcode on those same credentials? They may be valid in general but not set up for that device
                                Yep, it's weird because I've used these same creds to do build some unity ARKit demos (they build out an Xcode project that you then build to device) to this same device. I'm not sure if it's Xcode 9 beta's new automatic provision profile and cert management features conflicting with the UE4 iOS build tools. I'll keep trying though and see if I come up with a work around.
                                Last edited by matthewsimo; 08-22-2017, 09:11 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X