Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vive or Oculus?

I hope this topic wasn't yet reduced to dust here:
    Which VR set works better with UE4 (both headset and motion controllers)?

I'm currently trying to decide which one I should get; besides from serving my personal gaming needs(/wants), I'm also hoping to use it to develop different VR projects in UE4.
    If I have to prioritize - I'd rather have a set that's perfect for development, and doesn't have as much supported games, than a set that's the other way around (or, in short - dev > gaming).

I learned that a big factor in deciding which would make a better match is my available physical space, and I don't have much (would maybe be able to get a 2.5mx2.5m square of free space for this - my home studio is tiny).
    My rig is more than sufficient to run anything nowadays, and is completely VR-ready, so that's not an issue at all.

If there are any more critical parameters I might be missing - I'd gladly provide further info.
    So, WDYT?
    Which one should I eventually get?
    Does it even really matter?...

Thanks!
    Vive
    86.67%
    Rift
    20.00%

We have the Oculus and the Vive, here is my experience:

Pro´s Oculus
    - easy setup of the Oculus, place the two Cameras on the desk, plug the two cabels into the pc - done
    - i like the integrated headphones of the Oculus
    - the controllers feel good and modern
    - HMD is not so heavy and good to wear
    - i like the Oculus-World-Story where you buy or start your apps

Con´s Oculus
    - tracking is way less good then on the vive, especially the tracking from the touch-controllers and if you like to play action-titles like "Arizona Sunshine" it´s less
    funny because of the missing 360 controller tracking
    - the touch-controller´s "grap" and "trigger" buttons are a bit to close to each other in my opinion, i have seen this many times when we demo our VR-stuff
    to people never used or rarely used a VRSet

Pro´s Vive
    - tracking is super good, works almost in any situation
    - the camera is fancy as you can activate it by a double-click while in VR to check what´s around you
    - Setup of the room-scale system works every time without problems
    - maybe more cool titles to buy then on the oculus
    - good integration into ue
    - the controllers can handle a good amount of wall-hit´s =)

Con´s Vive
    - the original strap-hmd rubberbands look ugly after some time of use
    - it weights more the the oculus
    - controllers look a bit oversized when you have used the oculus-touch
    - you have to handle the "lightbox" tracking devices and find a good place in your room by mounting them on the wall or (as we do) use a tripod

So in my opinion it depends if you like to have full blown controller/Hmd tracking for 360 tracking or the ease and comfort of the oculus.
    Feeling wise (without the technical view) the oculus feels better to me, but technically better working and a full blown VR-experience is the vive.

We also have the ps-vr here, it lacks almost on every fact from the above set´s but kick´s them both away when you talk about games and fun....
    Andy Probst
    Head of R&D / VR - Meilenstein Digital GmbH

Comment

I've owned a Vive and a Rift. My honest opinion though is that the Vive is the better hardware overall, but it's not a huge gap now that the Oculus Touch is out. I use a 3m x 3m space myself but I think most roomscale games will be doable with less, though it could be a problem in some things. The Vive does also have the camera though I have never personally used it, it is disabled by default. Aside from motion tracking the main thing is that the Touch if you pick that up brings Oculus and Vive on pretty similar terms. They have similar hardware, a lot of players prefer the touch controller to the Vive motion controllers, but the reduced tracking gives the Vive the edge, and both are sufficient.

Software wise there are some nice Rift exclusive games and not many the other way around. But you can also run the Oculus Home games using Revive. Rift of course can many of the games on Steam, one thing to on both of those options is that the motion controller buttons aren't the same on each, so sometimes if you run a Steam game with Oculus Touch for example the buttons might be wired weird, and the same goes for an Oculus game using Revive. I'd personally prefer to support the Vive rather than Oculus because Oculus tried to push exclusivity. They paid money to developers to make Rift exclusives, then when Revive first came out they rigged Oculus Home to make it not work. They have since taken a new approach there though and promised not to block access again in the future.

Comment

While I agree with the whole support-the-companies-that-deserve-to-be-supported approach, in this case - I must oversee that, and look at the bottom line.
        I wish I could take the moral high-ground and accept a maybe-not-ideal setup, but not when it comes to such expensive pieces of equipment...
        I'm still currently funding this whole thing with my day-job. :P

So, I gotta say I find the results surprising!
        Maybe it's because Epic used the Oculus setup for the whole Bullet Train demo, which for some reason lead me to predict the Oculus would be widely supported in the UE community...
        Anyway, your input was invaluable, and I thank you.
        It still seems kinda hard to find a decisive conclusion, but I guess it's just one of those cases in which the competition is too close to really feel like you've definitely made the right choice.

I was also wondering - are there any real differences between developing in UE for the Oculus, and developing in UE for the Vive?
        Besides the initial configuration - are the devices handled any differently within UE and its programmatic workflows?

Thanks again.

Comment

Although the hardware might be too close to care much, please also consider the severe wall-gardening, paid exclusivity and gigantic corporate interest in Oculus. These are not things I want to see in a fledgling technology like VR.

Comment

Regardless of everything said here, with the Zenimax lawsuit debacle I'd get a Vive simply because the Oculus might for all I know go poof any day.

Comment

Originally posted by RE-Games View Post
              Although the hardware might be too close to care much, please also consider the severe wall-gardening, paid exclusivity and gigantic corporate interest in Oculus. These are not things I want to see in a fledgling technology like VR.
              I think the corporate situation is also too close to matter. Steam has a near monopoly on digital game distribution. Facebook is trying to leverage its huge war chest to break it. Neither of them puts the consumer first.

Comment

Originally posted by DamirH View Post
                Regardless of everything said here, with the Zenimax lawsuit debacle I'd get a Vive simply because the Oculus might for all I know go poof any day.
                You see a risk of Facebook going under?

Comment

Originally posted by WaxOff View Post
                  I was also wondering - are there any real differences between developing in UE for the Oculus, and developing in UE for the Vive?
                  Besides the initial configuration - are the devices handled any differently within UE and its programmatic workflows?
                  It is identical, apart from handling stuff that is unique to each device. Making a game work well on both devices is very easy.

If you don't care that much about what games you play, consider what you want to develop:

Seated or front facing: Rift
                  360: Vivd

Personally I love the Rift for the fantastic motion controllers and the Vive for fitting my glasses.

Over time I think both platforms will approach each other in capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocX View Post
                    You see a risk of Facebook going under?

That'd be the day, but unfortunately no. What I do see is a possibility of Facebook discontinuing a product due to legal / financial baggage.

Comment

So it's just my own assumption with no real facts in basis: I'm not 100% sure Facebook is going to support Rift headset in the long term. They're more intrested in social services, and hi-end headset isn't required for it. Rift is a tribute and a symbol more then a really necessary product. If you remember last Oculus Connect, they're developing a hybrid of a Rift and mobile headset. I don't mean Oculus will abandon Rift, but I woudn't be surprised if they switch attention (including a support of content develompent) to this new device. It can become even more possible if sells remain at current not very impressive level.
                      Marketplace: Vive Mocap Kit / Fingers Solver / VR IK Body Solver / Subtitles to LipSync / Dialogue System with Character Animation
                      And random stuff at Youtube

Comment

That is entirely possible. But the prototype was "just" wireless with inside out tracking, something all major HMD companies are at least secretly experimenting with. Great for mobile for sure, but you really want this on PC as well.

As I see it all current VR hardware and software will be relics in just a couple of years. What you choose now will impact your future VR options very little.

Comment

Seems like I'm gonna go for the Vive, after all!
                          Adding it all up - it seems like it's going to be better for me, especially development-wise, and if adjusting my projects to both devices isn't very complicated - then it really doesn't matter much, in the end.
                          So I'll pick up the one that would probably be more convenient to use, and more practical for my projects later on.

One other thing comes to mind now, though; I already have a 2-Kinect-setup for mo-cap - is there any way to augment this setup with the new VR hardware?
                          Or, in short - is there any way to use the Vive or any of its accompanying hardware for mo-cap, or to improve existing mo-cap capabilities?

+ You've all helped me solve a multi-month-dilemma, so I thank you all again.

Comment

I own both and I have to say andyxor pretty much nailed it with his list of pros and cons.
                            My personal opinion is the Vive gives you the best and fullest VR experience. The one thing the Rift did better was the built in headphones but HTC have now announced a new strap with the same built in headphone setup. Add to the this third party wireless add on, the additional tracking pucks to be launched soon and the new controllers that Valve have got in prototype, the Vive looks to have the better future.

Tracking is night and day as far as i'm concerned. Oculus made a bad choice with their tracking system which to this day is still causing major problems for a large number of owners including me. Valve has developed a very solid, expandable, future proof tracking system which I have not had any problems with but I have read some people have had hardware failures and had to return the lighthouse boxes.

Also (and this may just be me) the Rift has a strange warping effect on the top and bottom of the image when you turn your head from side to side. You can replicate this with the Vive by adjusting the lenses furthest away from your eyes but because you cant adjust the Rift lenses in the same way I get this effect all the time in the Rift which can be a little nauseating. Does anyone else see this?
                            Stygian Abyss Demo VR Remake

http://mrob76u.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WaxOff View Post
                              I already have a 2-Kinect-setup for mo-cap - is there any way to augment this setup with the new VR hardware?
                              Or, in short - is there any way to use the Vive or any of its accompanying hardware for mo-cap, or to improve existing mo-cap capabilities?
                              AFAIK - no. iPi Studio doesn't support input from VR devices, at least for now. But you can make your own software There is a nice plugin for Kinect in UE4. You can record animation from skeletal mesh with RecordAnimation command and then export it to fbx.
                              Marketplace: Vive Mocap Kit / Fingers Solver / VR IK Body Solver / Subtitles to LipSync / Dialogue System with Character Animation
                              And random stuff at Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X