Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GoogleVRControllerInputComponent in branch 4.13-google-vr ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was trying to replicate your problem but my computer somehow shutdown mid-compilation...
    I'm wondering if it has to do something with the VR blueprint, or possibly the camera?
    Also have you tried to show UMG to the viewport to see if it would show?

Comment

I have not tried 4.15 yet... I am already having fun to test the new features in the google branch 4.14.

So well, sorry for the expression " pass the viewport camera of your first person character".
      The black screen might be due to a camera that it not pass to the player controller properly.

Try to list all the existing camera in your level by using the node get all actors of class, I guess you will have 2:
      Yours and another one created by the player manager, the issue you described seems to be that The UpdateViewTarget function is not done on the proper camera.

To debug this, You can also place a camera in the level and in the blueprint use the node " Set View Target with Blend" as shown in my attached png.
      You should not get a black screen by forcing the camera as described.
      Attached Files

CG and computational photography researcher working for fun on a new VR project

Comment

Originally posted by Sky3 View Post
        I have not tried 4.15 yet... I am already having fun to test the new features in the google branch 4.14.

So well, sorry for the expression " pass the viewport camera of your first person character".
        The black screen might be due to a camera that it not pass to the player controller properly.

Try to list all the existing camera in your level by using the node get all actors of class, I guess you will have 2:
        Yours and another one created by the player manager, the issue you described seems to be that The UpdateViewTarget function is not done on the proper camera.

To debug this, You can also place a camera in the level and in the blueprint use the node " Set View Target with Blend" as shown in my attached png.
        You should not get a black screen by forcing the camera as described.
        Will have a look later to see if that helps figure out the problem as I'm not sure which camera the player controller uses in the the default FP template.

You guys are able to reproduce it though easily right? Open 4.15 -> New project -> Blueprint First Person Template -> export with Daydream settings and plugins.

It has nothing to do with any blueprint commands themselves since if you remove any begin play nodes (or even all blueprint nodes) it still occurs.

Interestingly if I do a print string on the begin play it is printed but is then 'stuck' on the black screen I believe this screen is frozen somehow. The same happens if you add a daydream splash screen - it is frozen on the screen after everything is finished loading.
        Headgear - VR/AR solutions

Comment

That's very strange, I don't know why that would happen.
          I guess you can just make your own character from scratch and copy over the existing bp, and just make a custom collis and replace your movement.
          I haven't been able to reproduce the error (I never tried to restart the build) but I believe you.

Edit: one more question, this only happens when on the device, but works fine in the editor?
          Last edited by nesrak1; 02-15-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nesrak1 View Post
            That's very strange, I don't know why that would happen.
            I guess you can just make your own character from scratch and copy over the existing bp, and just make a custom collis and replace your movement.
            I haven't been able to reproduce the error (I never tried to restart the build) but I believe you.

Edit: one more question, this only happens when on the device, but works fine in the editor?
            Yeah works fine in editor. Someone from Epic looked into it and it is caused by having MSAA enabled! This worked fine for 4.14 and without the project looks terrible Hopefully they can find some sort of hot fix:
            https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...plate-and.html

Comment

Hope it works.
              Kind of annoying we have to do this whole compiling thing again >.<

Comment

As for UI Interaction:

You can use GoogleVRPointerInputComponent to use the GoogleVRMotionControllerComponent with widgets. It integrates internally with a WidgetInteraction component. Also, it dispatches events that can be used to interact with non-UI objects. You can use GoogleVRActorPointerResponder or GoogleVRComponentPointerResponder to respond to those events.

Comment

Originally posted by dsternfeld View Post
                  As for UI Interaction:

You can use GoogleVRPointerInputComponent to use the GoogleVRMotionControllerComponent with widgets. It integrates internally with a WidgetInteraction component. Also, it dispatches events that can be used to interact with non-UI objects. You can use GoogleVRActorPointerResponder or GoogleVRComponentPointerResponder to respond to those events.
                  Yep, I've put this already in my docs, I just haven't uploaded it to github yet (github website updating is annoying so I'm thinking about putting it back on my bitballoon site)

Comment

I'm still getting a black screen with 4.15 and my project even after the MSAA fix above so there is something else going on as well Gone back to the 4.14 googlevr branch for now until I can narrow down what the problem is as it's really hard to figure out. I basically have to strip all variables and reset all character properties back to defaults before it's working again. There is no way to easily move a whole heap of variables to another blueprint right? (keeping all their default values)

Comment

Working...
                    X