Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extremely bad performance with 4.14.1 and Oculus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Extremely bad performance with 4.14.1 and Oculus

    So it's been awhile since I messed around with unreal and decided to have a look at my project. I updated unreal to the latest first (been months) and my project to 4.14.1. When using VR preview I am getting extremely low framerates (project is simple and ran fine before). They framerate is so low the edges of the screen flicker black while it's loading frames in.

    Thinking maybe the project auto convert changed something I downloaded this VR content examples. In the first area which is just a blank room even with settings all the way down still getting horribly low framerate.

    I am running with a GTX 1080 / i7 with Oculus CV1. Anyone have any suggestions?

    #2
    Sounds like you need to start doing some profiling! First step is to figure out if you're CPU bound or GPU bound...

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Mctittles View Post
      So it's been awhile since I messed around with unreal and decided to have a look at my project. I updated unreal to the latest first (been months) and my project to 4.14.1. When using VR preview I am getting extremely low framerates (project is simple and ran fine before). They framerate is so low the edges of the screen flicker black while it's loading frames in.

      Thinking maybe the project auto convert changed something I downloaded this VR content examples. In the first area which is just a blank room even with settings all the way down still getting horribly low framerate.

      I am running with a GTX 1080 / i7 with Oculus CV1. Anyone have any suggestions?
      Try building lighting and see if that helps, in 4.14 the lighting builds are now separate from the map files so you'll need to rebulid the lighting if you haven't already so it can create the new map data files (I may have forgot to do that for the first level)
      UE4 VR Cookbook
      Mitch's VR Lab tutorial series
      VR Content Examples

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Slayemin View Post
        Sounds like you need to start doing some profiling! First step is to figure out if you're CPU bound or GPU bound...
        I'm not sure if anything is a bottleneck. I just recorded a video with a new blank scene (just the chairs and table) and inside the headset running terrible with black flickering when I move my head.
        In the video you can actually see the flickering and choppy framerate in the preview window. The frames reported in the mirrored window are some crazy numbers but the ones in the headset with stat fps are around 9.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ptB...ature=youtu.be




        Originally posted by mitchemmc View Post
        Try building lighting and see if that helps, in 4.14 the lighting builds are now separate from the map files so you'll need to rebulid the lighting if you haven't already so it can create the new map data files (I may have forgot to do that for the first level)
        Tried building lighting does not change anything. It's not specific to your level a new "blank" level behaves the same way.
        Last edited by Mctittles; 12-12-2016, 11:58 PM.

        Comment


          #5
          So I guess I'm the only one having this issue? I'm not sure where to go from here

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Mctittles View Post
            So I guess I'm the only one having this issue? I'm not sure where to go from here
            Sadly, you are not. I am having similar issues in 4.14.1.

            What I've tried so far:

            Stat UNIT reveals very bad GPU performance (> 100ms per frame)
            Stat GPU reveals that almost all of this is in HZB, which I believe is related to occlusion culling.

            I have upgraded and downgraded my NVidia driver, to no effect.
            I have enabled precomputed visibility, added a precomputed visibility volume and rebuilt the lighting, to no effect.

            The issue seems to be confined to VR Preview mode for me. Running the game from the VS debugger using -game <mapname> as parameters yields a reasonable frame rate.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Mctittles View Post
              So I guess I'm the only one having this issue? I'm not sure where to go from here
              Can you please do a GPU capture by pressing CTRL + Shift + ,(Comma Key), expand all the info and then post a screenshot of that. It is really hard to tell what could be causing your issues with the information you have provided so far.

              Comment


                #8
                Running Vive and also getting terrible performance with 14.1 but I had everything running flawlessly 90 fps in 14.0

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Sam Deiter View Post
                  Can you please do a GPU capture by pressing CTRL + Shift + ,(Comma Key), expand all the info and then post a screenshot of that. It is really hard to tell what could be causing your issues with the information you have provided so far.
                  Is this what you were looking for?
                  http://i.imgur.com/DgfCCNH.png

                  I noticed my memory use went through the roof when doing this. Computer locked up the first time trying to capture.
                  Edit...actually third time capturing memory use was fine. I dunno .
                  Last edited by Mctittles; 12-22-2016, 05:10 PM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mctittles View Post
                    Is this what you were looking for?
                    http://i.imgur.com/DgfCCNH.png

                    I noticed my memory use went through the roof when doing this. Computer locked up the first time trying to capture.
                    Edit...actually third time capturing memory use was fine. I dunno .
                    Yeah. Looks like you've got some problems with SlateUI and something in your scene, causing about 100ms between frames, which would put you at about 10fps. Ideally, you'd want to hit about 10.0ms.

                    So, the GPU capture you posted isn't very helpful for isolating the exact cause of the problem. But... we can try to ask a few questions to narrow down the scope and nature of the problem.

                    1) Do you still get 100ms when you are not using VR preview?
                    2) If you create an empty level, do you still get 100ms?
                    3) If you switch to another HMD, do you still get 100ms?
                    4) If you switch to a blank project in UE 4.14.1, do you still get 100ms?

                    If you get "yes" to all of these questions, then there may be bigger problems and we'll have to ask:

                    5) Does everyone else in the UE4 community get 100ms with 4.14.1?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      It only happens in VR. Even in a completely blank scene with the quality set to the lowest it is the same. In the video it is mainly blank, just the chairs/table that come with a new project. Removing those does not change anything though.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        What happens if you disable the realtime preview in your preview window before starting it? (curious
                        Also by blank scene do you mean a blank project?

                        The fact that it is slate using the time makes me think something is going on in your project?

                        I do not have this issue.
                        4.14.1 forked from git, this is what it should look like:

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	slate.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1120597
                        Outer Planet Studios
                        http://outerplanet.webflow.io/

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Mctittles View Post
                          Is this what you were looking for?
                          http://i.imgur.com/DgfCCNH.png

                          I noticed my memory use went through the roof when doing this. Computer locked up the first time trying to capture.
                          Edit...actually third time capturing memory use was fine. I dunno .
                          Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for the Christmas / New Years holiday. Yes, this is what I was talking about and after looking at it the thing that jumps out the most is that Slate is taking almost 53 MS to render and this is what is causing all of the problems as that is extreamlly high for Slate. Did you take this from the Editor or while the game was playing? Also what windows did you have open, Material Editor, Blueprint Editor or something else. It is very weird that Slate is taking up that many resources so tracking that down would be the first thing I looked at.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Oh finally I fixed it! Figured slate could only be from the editor looked up issues with editor and found this:
                            https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...r-lagging.html
                            Disabled all EVGA tasks and it works fine now. Funny how was only effecting VR.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Mctittles View Post
                              Oh finally I fixed it! Figured slate could only be from the editor looked up issues with editor and found this:
                              https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...r-lagging.html
                              Disabled all EVGA tasks and it works fine now. Funny how was only effecting VR.
                              Thanks for posting back with how you got it working. Someone five years from now is going to see this and it is totally going to help them out.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X