Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about VR in general? If SM4 or SM5 Vulkan support in UE4 would be finished, would it work with the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift? Do their SDKs support Vulkan?
    Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
    Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

AFAIK no VR sdk works with Vulkan as of today. For Vulkan 1.1 there might be more extensions for better VR performance, but first the SDK needs to support it.

Comment

Theres a lot of great stuff in the latest Dev-Rendering merge to master! You really do incredible work there [MENTION=396]RCaloca[/MENTION]!

Originally posted by RCaloca View Post
        AFAIK no VR sdk works with Vulkan as of today. For Vulkan 1.1 there might be more extensions for better VR performance, but first the SDK needs to support it.
        Is Vulkan 1.0 inferior to DX12 when it comes to VR, or is it on the same level and Vukan 1.1 will just make it superior to DX12?

I also found this, do you think that would be practical for a shipped game or is it more like a funny thing to test? https://twitter.com/h3r2tic/status/734116575607984128

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
          Theres a lot of great stuff in the latest Dev-Rendering merge to master! You really do incredible work there [MENTION=396]RCaloca[/MENTION]!
          Is Vulkan 1.0 inferior to DX12 when it comes to VR, or is it on the same level and Vukan 1.1 will just make it superior to DX12?

I also found this, do you think that would be practical for a shipped game or is it more like a funny thing to test? https://twitter.com/h3r2tic/status/734116575607984128
          Thanks! Taking a lot longer than expected unfortunately. We're almost on parity with SM4, but you need to enable a special define (VULKAN_USE_NEW_RENDERPASSES) to see it.
          I wouldn't say inferior, more like 'younger' DX12 has been in the works for a while and was released way earlier. Vulkan will get there.
          Nice hack from that guy!

Comment

Watching Carmack's OC3 closing keynote. He said Vulkan for VR will be coming in late 2017 (or so I understood)

Comment

Thanks! Taking a lot longer than expected unfortunately. We're almost on parity with SM4, but you need to enable a special define (VULKAN_USE_NEW_RENDERPASSES) to see it.
              Nice, thanks!

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
              Watching Carmack's OC3 closing keynote. He said Vulkan for VR will be coming in late 2017 (or so I understood)
              Oh, he did?

Comment

Oh, he did?
                Watch it on Oculus Twitch channel.

Comment

[MENTION=396]RCaloca[/MENTION]

I just tried to build the newest master from github, and this is what I got:

Click image for larger version

Name:	b69d9ad381.png
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1116401

I guess something is wrong?

Edit:

I had to change
                  Code:
                  VULKAN_ENABLE_DRAW_MARKERS PLATFORM_WINDOWS
                  to
                  Code:
                  VULKAN_ENABLE_DRAW_MARKERS 0
                  then it compiled
                  Last edited by John Alcatraz; 10-08-2016, 03:08 AM.

Comment

I have tested the Particle Effects Demo again, and the post process problem is fixed, but the light shafts are still missing with -vulkan -featureleveles31.

I have also tried running it with -vulkan -sm4, that unfortunately crashes.

Comment

[MENTION=396]RCaloca[/MENTION]

I had to change
                      Code:
                      VULKAN_ENABLE_DRAW_MARKERS PLATFORM_WINDOWS
                      to
                      Code:
                      VULKAN_ENABLE_DRAW_MARKERS 0
                      then it compiled
                      Interesting, do you have a local Vulkan SDK installed? What version? It's supposed to pick up the latest SDK, whether the one we distribute or yours if newer, but there could be a bug.

Comment

I have tested the Particle Effects Demo again, and the post process problem is fixed, but the light shafts are still missing with -vulkan -featureleveles31.

I have also tried running it with -vulkan -sm4, that unfortunately crashes.
                        Did you set VULKAN_USE_NEW_RENDERPASSES to 1 for sm4? That will be the default when we merge into main in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Interesting, do you have a local Vulkan SDK installed? What version? It's supposed to pick up the latest SDK, whether the one we distribute or yours if newer, but there could be a bug.
                          I have a VulkanSDK installed, but I guess its quite old, 1.0.5.0.

Did you set VULKAN_USE_NEW_RENDERPASSES to 1 for sm4? That will be the default when we merge into main in a couple of weeks.
                          Yes, I did set VULKAN_USE_NEW_RENDERPASSES to 1 before compiling.

Comment

I have a VulkanSDK installed, but I guess its quite old, 1.0.5.0.
                            Yes, I did set VULKAN_USE_NEW_RENDERPASSES to 1 before compiling.
                            I'd remove it or install a newer one. IIRC UE4 has 1.0.21.1 distributed with the source, so if you remove yours it should work nicely. Let me know, and post the callstack for the crash if you can!

Comment

I'd remove it or install a newer one. IIRC UE4 has 1.0.21.1 distributed with the source, so if you remove yours it should work nicely. Let me know, and post the callstack for the crash if you can!
                              You were right, I installed the newest Vulkan SDK, changed that line back to VULKAN_ENABLE_DRAW_MARKERS PLATFORM_WINDOWS, did a full rebuild and I no longer got the errors!

I also found that I actually linked to an old engine version in the .bat files I use to run the project with console commands, so I tested with the wrong engine version

After fixing that, the lightshafts now work in ES31 config ES31 looks same in Vulkan now like without Vulkan I think, apart from that I get a strange pattern on the image, looks almost like an ASCII representation of the scene It looks funny, but I think it is not the result I should get.

Spoiler

I will also test SM4 again now, compiling shaders just always takes ages
                              Attached Files

Comment

I will also test SM4 again now, compiling shaders just always takes ages
                                Nice to see it kinda works
                                I'm working on EffectsCave now, it has other issues, hopefully on our next merge to main it will be clean. Can you try SunTemple to make sure it works? And are you on NV or AMD or Intel?

Comment

Working...
                                X