Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly I still have not been able to get Vulkan to work on my Nexus 6P...

The Nexus 6P has the latest 'N' build and with it this close to release, I was hoping my latest build of (4.14) would finally be the one work. Sadly this was not the case. In fact, I have not been able to even run the Vulkan Mobile Preview anymore (not for several builds). Here is the error I am getting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1113524

Any help, guidance or update would be welcomed.

Thanks and by the way I am really impressed on what can be done in UE4 and a ton of complements to your content developers. The amount of work they put into the assets in the demo "Infiltrator" and "Showdown" is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by mebalzer View Post
      Here is the error I am getting.
      Also attach the log, not just the error message
      Last edited by John Alcatraz; 08-11-2016, 09:42 AM.
      Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
      Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

The Nexus 6P
        Huh, haven't seed that pop in a while. Any special techniques/features you are using? You might be hitting a code path we haven't tested yet. Or if you want to open an answerhub ticket and post the link here.

Comment

Originally posted by RCaloca View Post
          Side note, integrations to master from DevRendering go around every week...
          I think the last one was already two weeks ago now?

Maybe you could like once a week give a small update in this thread how the Vulkan implementation is going? That would be really interesting to have and also people who don't read through everything on Github could easily see how it progresses.

Comment

Do OSX and Linux support Vulkan ?

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
              Do OSX and Linux support Vulkan ?
              That question is not very precise. Whether the operating system itself supports Vulkan is something you can easily google, so I guess you ask if UE4 supports Vulkan on OSX and Linux, the question doesn't make much sense for OSX though.

I see no reason why the UE4 vulkan implementation should not work on linux too, that's one of the great advantages of Vulkan over DX12, you write software that uses the Vulkan API and you can use it on all platforms that support Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                I guess you ask if UE4 supports Vulkan on OSX and Linux, the question doesn't make much sense for OSX though.
                Yeah, that's what I meant - if UE4 with Vulkan can run on all 3 OSes.

Why doesn't Vulkan make sense for OSX? Because of Metal ?

Comment

Apple is 100% Metal, so no Vulkan (ever?). The current Vulkan implementation of UE4 off master github runs on Linux
                  We just integrated yesterday to master.
                  I'm still working on getting SM4 stable, and a lot of bug fixes have been done, easier if you check my commits on github.

Comment

We just integrated yesterday to master.
                    I'm still working on getting SM4 stable, and a lot of bug fixes have been done, easier if you check my commits on github.
                    Great! I assume the step from mobile to SM4 is bigger than from SM4 to SM5?

Comment

Yes, moving from mobile to deferred is a big change! Mostly because we're also trying to upgrade the RHI 'spec' for all other platforms too so it becomes a bigger job.

Comment

Well I was very excited to see in the list of updates for the 4.13 release (source) that Android Vulkan on baseline Google device - Nexus 6P was finally fixed. But alas, this does not seem to be the case. I am currently using the "Promoted" build from yesterday, which could be the problem, but I hate to work on two different Source builds, when the "Promoted" build has worked quite well for me up to now.

If it is all possible, can someone at Unreal create a test Android Vulkan Google VR Project known to work on the Nexus 6P (maybe even the Note 7 ), as well as the APK, and all SDK/NDK versions used so that I can have a baseline to work with. This has become extremely frustrating in the number of hours lost in creating builds the past few months that continue to crash at the Google VR screen (main UE banner does come up). Yes I know it has been experimental, but it is still frustrating. If it is any help, the Projects work under the Vulkan Moblie PEI if I don't set use the Google VR plug-in, but when I do use the Google VR plug-in I get the following error:

Click image for larger version

Name:	VulkanError.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1114520
                        This error has occurred in the past as well. Does this require a rebuild or verification that I am working with the latest source file?

Frankly, I have been hoping more documentation would be available so that I can tweek Google VR settings like UI overlay and access to orientation tracking information without spending a great deal of time experimenting, which seems to occupy most of my time right now. I know this has been a work in progress, but with Google VR/Daydream just around the corner I was hoping to see as much information by now as with GearVR.

Anyway I will stop my quiet rant. The Unreal Engine still has allowed me to create some pretty cool demos to show off and derive benchmarking information on what works and what doesn't.

Thank you,

Mike

Comment

If it is all possible, can someone at Unreal create a test Android Vulkan Google VR Project known to work on the Nexus 6P (maybe even the Note 7 ), as well as the APK, and all SDK/NDK versions used so that I can have a baseline to work with.
                          Hi Mike, Google doesn't have some necessary hooks/functionality required to use Vulkan on VR yet. Once it's added we'll hook it up.

Comment

Hi Mike, Google doesn't have some necessary hooks/functionality required to use Vulkan on VR yet. Once it's added we'll hook it up.
                            A little confused. Your feature list/bug fixes list this: "Bugfix: Fixed a crash with Vulkan on Nexus 6P with Android N enabled extensions." So this only pertains to Vulkan without Google VR support, correct? I will try a build with this in mind to verify, but that makes sense now and why a 'VulkanViewport.cpp' error occurred when using the Vulkan Moblie PEI with the Google VR plug-in and worked when the plug-in was removed. This is a little disappointing on Google's part and now that I think of it all of the test demos from Kronos are single screen AND now all work. I will write to Google and see if when this will be implemented. In my opinion this is where the Vulkan API will do the most good, oh well. In any case, OpenGL ES 3.1 function does work and the results are visually better, albeit slower than the equivalent build using ES 2.0, but this may account more for the FXAA being used, I found the Temporal AA is seems to be better performing but shows a unique "vortex" like residual screen redraw that is noticeable in a headset.

I am assuming the OpenGL Deferred ES31 AEP does not work as well with the Google VR plug-in as well. Is this true?

In any case thank you for responding so quickly, I can stop beating my head against the proverbial wall.

-Mike

Comment

From what I understand, Vulkan API doesn't have functionality, yet, to be used for mobile VR (or perhaps VR in general). Kronos is working on it and maybe next iteration will have functionality for mobile VR / VR. Something like that. It has nothing to do with Google or Epic.

Comment

If it is all possible, can someone at Unreal create a test Android Vulkan Google VR Project known to work on the Nexus 6P
                                As was later sussed out in the thread, Vulkan and Google VR currently do not mix. When Google lets us know that the two are compatible, we'll likely start investigating this path, but because of the necessity to share textures between processes, we can't unilaterally move forward with Vulkan and Google VR until they're ready for it.

I am assuming the OpenGL Deferred ES31 AEP does not work as well with the Google VR plug-in as well. Is this true?
                                We haven't tried it, because of the current constraints on Daydream development kits. We're focusing all our energy on the forward path.

Comment

Working...
                                X