This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    TBH we haven't done a pass-through on why there is still a dependency on the old DLLs. I vaguely recall that d3dx9.dll was used for some mesh functions, and in any case that might be an editor only issue. I'll enter a ticket so investigate.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    With a helpful nudge from motorsep I'm posting my previous post about the same issue (or something that just buggers me).

As I'm currently working on a project for Linux and Windows using Vulkan as my chosen RHI I noticed that packaged application that has nothing but Vulkan used for it still uses d3dx9.dll and d3dx11.dll as I have mindset of "If you want something done, do it yourself" I'm diving in source code to check if this is just routine, or this is the sole fact why Vulkan RHI is still experimental.

Before you say anything, note that DOOM doesn't need Directx libaries to work in Vulkan rendering mode (I checked it myself). So there has to be a way to do it in UE4 too. (I checked loaded libraries with process explorer.)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    RCaloca Since 4.20 is branched now, can you say what made it into 4.20 regarding Vulkan, specifically regarding the "Initial parallel support" that you said will "hopefully" make it into 4.20?

Also, any news from AMD on when they'll release the video?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, how can I enable Vulkan for Editor in 4.19.2? When I add "-vulkan" at the end of the shortcut. It crashes when Initialing completed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think what's being talked about in 4.20 is multi-threaded rendering, not parallel passes right?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by muchcharles View Post

Are there any medium term things that can be achieved without that much disruption? For instance, rendering scene captures or shadows in parallel with the main base pass?
    I think when everyone talking about parallel support to please be more specific when it refers to parallelism as for passes or multi-GPU support, which changes completely how parallelism for passes will be handled too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RCaloca View Post
    Not really. The programming interface (the RHI API) is common for all the RHIs (Metal, GL, D3D, etc). So we would basically have to change the complete renderer (which is a man-years operation) and keep the new one working along the old one. So in short no Some systems have a smaller footprint such that that approach is feasible, as you noticed

Initial parallel support is working, but not yet ready. Still got some weeks before 4.20 cut-off, so hopefully it can make it. Most of the issues are correctness issues (as in following the Vulkan spec re:transitioning resources, which work on some drivers, but there are no warranties on others).
    Are there any medium term things that can be achieved without that much disruption? For instance, rendering scene captures or shadows in parallel with the main base pass?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    RCaloca I have found why the issue is happening. If you have your Windows since its installation with only NVidia cards/drivers, you won't get this issue. But once, you install an AMD card and do the same, when you go back to a NVidia card and reinstall its driver you discover that this issue happens. I have reproduced this in a new machine with same mobo+processor and Windows version (both with 1803 build) and the AMD card was R9 390 while NVidia GTX 1080. It might be needed (still veryfing) to completely remove Vulkan runtime (which is left even if you remove AMD or NVidia drivers by Windows uninstall) and erase all registry entries about it. Once I finish this I might get the steps on repro and solution on NVidia forum aswel.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied

Hi Nilson, this is on Windows? I've been running on the 397.64 and seems to be ok.

Yes, it is on Windows. It works fine with 387.92 and if you install 397.64 right after it messes all over again. Even asking for a clean install on the driver installation has not effect. So for now the only way to run on my case is rolling back the driver version, and I do it just for the sake of having my assets tested in Vulkan aswel and not only D3D.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
    I have found an issue with newest NVidia drivers messing up the Registry descriptor pointing to the vulkan json file and because of this a crash will occur because there is no way to find the Vulkan runtime with that registry info bugged. The current recommendation is to rollback the driver to previous versions like 387.92 will make it work again.
    Hi Nilson, this is on Windows? I've been running on the 397.64 and seems to be ok.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
    RCaloca not sure what happened but any project I set rendering to Vulkan is crashing the engine when opening... even one created from scratch... any ideas?
    I have found an issue with newest NVidia drivers messing up the Registry descriptor pointing to the vulkan json file and because of this a crash will occur because there is no way to find the Vulkan runtime with that registry info bugged. The current recommendation is to rollback the driver to previous versions like 387.92 will make it work again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    RCaloca not sure what happened but any project I set rendering to Vulkan is crashing the engine when opening... even one created from scratch... any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• replied

Not really. The programming interface (the RHI API) is common for all the RHIs (Metal, GL, D3D, etc). So we would basically have to change the complete renderer (which is a man-years operation) and keep the new one working along the old one. So in short no Some systems have a smaller footprint such that that approach is feasible, as you noticed

Makes sense!

Initial parallel support is working, but not yet ready. Still got some weeks before 4.20 cut-off, so hopefully it can make it. Most of the issues are correctness issues (as in following the Vulkan spec re:transitioning resources, which work on some drivers, but there are no warranties on others).
    Very nice. Since the "some weeks" are over now, did you know if it could make it?

I've read through the last Dev-Rendering commit and I saw some parallel stuff, couldn't directly see if it's "ready" or not though.

Slides are finally available on https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/resources? (UE4 Vulkan Updates & Tips).
    Great, thanks! Now I really wish I could hear you talking to that... No news from AMD on when they'll release the video?

Originally posted by Teybeo View Post
    Nice, thanks for the update
    I think there's a typo on the Infiltrator perf slides, should be either 26 ms (13 x 2 ...) or 76 fps (???)
    I understand it so that the ms are only the render thread time, and the FPS are the whole game FPS, so those numbers are both correct.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Nice, thanks for the update
    I think there's a typo on the Infiltrator perf slides, should be either 26 ms (13 x 2 ...) or 76 fps (???)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Slides are finally available on https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/resources? (UE4 Vulkan Updates & Tips).

The Vulkan optimizations & fixes were merged today into the main UE4 deopt, so it will be copied into the public github repo today or tomorrow (they will go into 4.20). Thanks for your patience!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X