Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan status

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by motorsep View Post
    To be fair, the only OS on PC where games make $$$.
    Correction, you mean more money.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by erlog View Post
      Correction, you mean more money.
      yeah, like 98% more money than Linux for example.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by motorsep View Post
        yeah, like 98% more money than Linux for example.
        At least we don't have to deal with things being shoved down our throats at gunpoint.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by erlog View Post
          At least we don't have to deal with things being shoved down our throats at gunpoint.
          It's always been about ideology vs real world. To each their own. More people use Windows and game on Windows, so that's where money is and that's where primary focus of developers is.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
            Vulkan SM5 support was scheduled for July on the Roadmap before todays Roadmap update, now it's on the backlog again. Why? I was really exited about soon being able to use that :/
            Hi John, we still are working on SM4 & 5 support, however as mentioned in another thread, we had to rewrite a big chunk of the RHI for robustness. We've also been being held up by driver issues causing GPU hangs, crashes, etc. We also have to keep up with regular Engine releases and bug fixes. We'll get there!

            Comment


              #36
              Also next week during Siggraph I'll be presenting the current status, challenges and plans for the Vulkan implementation on UE4. It will be also available on youtube as well as the slides, check out updates here: https://www.khronos.org/news/events/...h#khronos_bofs

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by RCaloca View Post
                Hi John, we still are working on SM4 & 5 support, however as mentioned in another thread, we had to rewrite a big chunk of the RHI for robustness. We've also been being held up by driver issues causing GPU hangs, crashes, etc. We also have to keep up with regular Engine releases and bug fixes. We'll get there!
                Ok, thanks for the update. When do you expect UE4 to have full Vulkan SM5 support? Will Vulkan replace DX12 on PC then or will there still be reasons to use DX12 over Vulkan?

                Originally posted by RCaloca View Post
                Also next week during Siggraph I'll be presenting the current status, challenges and plans for the Vulkan implementation on UE4. It will be also available on youtube as well as the slides, check out updates here: https://www.khronos.org/news/events/...h#khronos_bofs
                Thanks for mentioning that, I'll definitely watch it on Youtube when it's available
                Last edited by John Alcatraz; 07-23-2016, 04:15 AM.
                Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

                Comment


                  #38
                  We don't have a firm date, just that we're working on it
                  Our main use for Vulkan is Android; our main use for D3D12 is Xbox. PC will use either, but hopefully more Vulkan as it can run on Win 7/8 machines.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                    Ok, thanks for the update. When do you expect UE4 to have full Vulkan SM5 support? Will Vulkan replace DX12 on PC then or will there still be reasons to use DX12 over Vulkan?



                    Thanks for mentioning that, I'll definitely watch it on Youtube when it's available

                    Here are the slides of the keynote and here is the video. Epic games starts around the minute 24

                    Comment


                      #40
                      I've watched it on the livestream, but thanks for the link to the slides, didn't know about that!

                      It was very nice but also very technical, and I'm happy I don't need to understand that low level Vulkan stuff and UE4 will do all the work for me Thanks Rolando, can't wait to see Kite and Paragon running in Vulkan!
                      Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                      Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                        I've watched it on the livestream, but thanks for the link to the slides, didn't know about that!

                        It was very nice but also very technical, and I'm happy I don't need to understand that low level Vulkan stuff and UE4 will do all the work for me Thanks Rolando, can't wait to see Kite and Paragon running in Vulkan!
                        Thanks! Can't wait to get it all done

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Now that the 4.13 Preview is out which is quite close to master I guess I tested the particle effects demo again.

                          It's always a bit annoying to have to wait for 10,000 shaders to compile, that takes roughly 20-30 minutes on my i7 5820k @4.2Ghz.

                          Unfortunately it didn't finish compiling the shaders and instead after a while it crashed. I created an answerhub post about it with callstack and log: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...kan-crash.html
                          Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                          Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                            Now that the 4.13 Preview is out which is quite close to master I guess I tested the particle effects demo again.
                            Interesting, and master is failing as well? 4.13 and master a little off.
                            I'll try to give it a go here.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              I have not tried master since I would always be behind with that and compiling takes so long that I don't really want to spend the time every few days compiling that again...

                              I restarted it and this time it worked, no crash Though it also started directly with compiling the remaining 4500 shaders, so if the crash would have been triggered by compiling a certain shader then yeah. But I think it was more of a random crahs that isn't really reproducible. Or maybe related to that the game already run for 10-15 minutes while it was compiling shaders and then maybe something leaked somewhere until it crashed, I don't know.

                              The game looks a lot better now than with 4.12. The flickering with the artifacts I got was fixed by a newer driver, so that was already fixed in 4.12. But the bug that particles are sometimes only rendered on half of the screen with a cut through the center is fixed in 4.13. It's running quite smooth.

                              Remaining bugs I see:

                              - The resolution is still "low". Same like in the video I took with 4.12. It's just not rendered in the native resolution of the window. Looks like a screen percentage of 50%. Also, r.screenpercentage does not work, no matter what number I use nothing changes.

                              - Alt+Enter to go into fullscreen doesn't work. The game window moves to the top left of the screen and the elements windows draws around the window disappear, but the rendered area does not get bigger and the lower and right part of the screen just stay transparent (I see windows behind).
                              - If I go into fullscreen with r.setres 1920x1080f then it's the same, just that the lower and right part of the screen don't show windows but they are black now.

                              So the resolution just doesn't change.

                              - I'm quite sure in this area should be snow, right? I see no snow there. Or is the snow in general something that just disappears with mobile and only works on desktop?



                              - The railing looks very aliased, as if all AA would be turned off on it.



                              - There is still this something that just fills the whole screen with a white plane when looking from that exact position (also seen in my old video):



                              - Highreshot crashes. I guess that just wasn't implemented in vulkan yet so its expected to crash?

                              So some small bugs, but overall it looks and runs nice
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by John Alcatraz; 08-03-2016, 05:05 PM.
                              Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                              Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Cool, you can also omit the -vulkan parameter and that will run the PC mobile version under D3D11. I'll make a ticket to investigate these issues! For sure, resolution change is not implemented yet.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X