This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motorsep View Post

Highly unlikely - Carmack said they don't get any performance gains from Vulkan yet
    oh, that's bad. but was like is the same as es2, es3? or worse?

Comment

Originally posted by PiroKun View Post

oh, that's bad. but was like is the same as es2, es3? or worse?
      That I don't know.. Khronos is set to release Vulkan extension for mobile that should solve the performance issue (this is just my simplified understanding of it), but who knows when it will happen.

Comment

Why is it taking years to get Vulkan to work on PC for UE4? Doom was released with it in 2016, that was the huge difference between running the game at 80fsp VS 150fps at max settings (Vulkan). On the lowest settings in UE4 games I only get 50-110 fps. Again, that's on the lowest settings (DX11), plus the frame rate is totally unstable on meshed maps and in multiplayer! And if I set graphics to max settings, I get tremendous amount of mouse input lag. I don't quite understand why Vulkan is seems to be such a low priority for Epic Games.

Don't get me wrong. I'm super happy to see that this is on the Roadmap for future releases. I'm just wondering why it's taking so long to get it in this particuliar case. A solid FPS boost is a big deal. It can be the difference between playable and unplayable. Shouldn't it even become the main API of UE4 for all platforms?
        Last edited by BulletGunZzz; 10-10-2018, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutal Combo View Post
          Why is it taking years to get Vulkan to work on PC for UE4? Doom was released with it in 2016, that was the huge difference between running the game at 80fsp VS 150fps at max settings (Vulkan). On the lowest settings in UE4 games I only get 50-110 fps. Again, that's on the lowest settings (DX11), plus the frame rate is totally unstable on meshed maps and in multiplayer! And if I set graphics to max settings, I get tremendous amount of mouse input lag. I don't quite understand why Vulkan is seems to be such a low priority for Epic Games.

Don't get me wrong. I'm super happy to see that this is on the Roadmap for future releases. I'm just wondering why it's taking so long to get it in this particuliar case. A solid FPS boost is a big deal. It can be the difference between playable and unplayable. Shouldn't it even become the main API of UE4 for all platforms?
          Well its because implementing Vulkan is not a trivial task! The most likely reason as to why Id was able to implement it so fast is because, well... they are masters of the FPS genre and experts when it comes to rendering. Therefore they could pull it off. Unreal Engine on the other hand has a much wider variety of use cases. So the technical hurdle is way higher, resulting in a longer development time. Just wait and drink some tea

Comment

You are probably right. Thanks.

Comment

any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by TriNityGER View Post

Well its because implementing Vulkan is not a trivial task! The most likely reason as to why Id was able to implement it so fast is because, well... they are masters of the FPS genre and experts when it comes to rendering. Therefore they could pull it off. Unreal Engine on the other hand has a much wider variety of use cases. So the technical hurdle is way higher, resulting in a longer development time. Just wait and drink some tea
                More like they have very specific use case and very specific game.

UE is generic engine, so you can't make to many assumptions that make rendering easier to implement.
                https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Bump RCaloca any updates? Maybe we get to see news at GDC tomorrow during the Unreal Keynote

Comment

Google's Stadia uses Vulkan, so I guess that'll get a nice boost now.

Comment

come on guys! there is so much money involved and so many new features that could massivly benefit from an API more modern than Directx 11 from freaking 2008! I get it, its much more complicated since it's so fundamental but this has been in the coming up tab for literal years! This thread alone is over 3 years old!
                      Stadia will use it, Mobile uses it, it is not linked to Windows, so Linux users can benefit from it as well as all the other plattforms. Big companies get way better performance out of it, so please please get on with it or hire some people to help you do that!

Comment

Testing Vulkan on the Quest - even the most simple project crashes immediately at launch.
                        Strange thing is: on https://developer.oculus.com/blog/do...ware-software/ it states the Quest supports Vulkan.
                        UE 4.22 also supports Vulkan. So why doesn't it even launch? Anyone any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by maxbrown View Post
                          Testing Vulkan on the Quest - even the most simple project crashes immediately at launch.
                          Strange thing is: on https://developer.oculus.com/blog/do...ware-software/ it states the Quest supports Vulkan.
                          UE 4.22 also supports Vulkan. So why doesn't it even launch? Anyone any suggestions?
                          Should have read into it - Vulkan will be supported on Quest with OS update, which hasn't come out yet.

Comment

any updates for 4.23?

Comment

Hi guys, apologies for the lack of updates. We've been focusing on improving Vulkan for Stadia, and a lot of work on stability for Android. Magic Leap is the other Vulkan-based platform we have right now and people are shipping content there as well; finally on Linux we are still running into driver issues and working with IHVs to fix them.

Comment

Originally posted by RCaloca View Post
                                Hi guys, apologies for the lack of updates. We've been focusing on improving Vulkan for Stadia, and a lot of work on stability for Android. Magic Leap is the other Vulkan-based platform we have right now and people are shipping content there as well; finally on Linux we are still running into driver issues and working with IHVs to fix them.
                                Thats good news, will there also be fixes for Vulkan on Windows?

Comment

Working...
                                X